July 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Nasty. Looks like you're weekend isn't looking too hot.

Yeah, cold front finally arrives Friday afternoon. And even tomorrow looks closer to average. So I won’t be b*tching as nearly as much. ;)

I’m sure the break will be short lived, though. I just hope the return to nastiness waits until after I leave town.

Lol. Are we talking about mist or drizzle?

Drizzle isn’t necessarily a product of a saturated low level airmass like mist/fog. I’ve seen it “drizzle” here in the upper 90s. Mist/fog rarely occurs above the low 80s.

• Like 1

Drizzle isn’t necessarily a product of a saturated low level airmass like mist/fog. I’ve seen it “drizzle” here in the upper 90s. Mist/fog rarely occurs above the low 80s.

Any precip above 70 is rare. Maybe with summer convection or an crazy warm pineapple express in the fall.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Awesome day! Oh and yes it’s been extremely wet here!

Happy almost 4th!

I don't understand... you are more than 10 miles from my backyard. We also had Kirkland and Mill Creek area people check in and say it's been really wet. Must be a sizable area to the north and east of downtown Seattle that has been wet and not abnormally dry this year and particularly wet lately. ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Any precip above 70 is rare. Maybe with summer convection or an crazy warm pineapple express in the fall.

Even the warmest atmospheric rivers that I can remember here since 1989 were only in the low 60s.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Still have enough moisture to keep the moss green and not dormant like it was last year at this time.

Up to 73 now. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Drizzle isn’t necessarily a product of a saturated low level airmass like mist/fog. I’ve seen it “drizzle” here in the upper 90s. Mist/fog barely occurs above the low 80s.

Upper 90's drizzle sounds interesting to me. Must be pretty steamy...

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Even the warmest atmospheric rivers that I can remember here since 1989 were only in the low 60s.

I suspect there might have been some 70-degree rain with the October 2003 event.

Nasty. Looks like you're weekend isn't looking too hot. 

I've probably experienced drizzle at 70. Experienced pouring down rain at about 80 degrees with a dewpoint in the high 70s. Almost like being in the shower.

that humidity is absolutely torrid today.hopefuly with the cold front we get some good storm action with it on firday.

Yep! Took this one a few years ago, after rain at 97*F.

I have seen that kind of steam on our roads when the sun comes out after a 65-degree shower in the summer with no humidity. 

I have seen that kind of steam on our roads when the sun comes out after a 65-degree shower in the summer with no humidity.

I haven’t seen you post any fog or drizzle pictures, actually. Sort of ironic. :lol:

Awesome day! Oh and yes it’s been extremely wet here!

Happy almost 4th!

Accurate statement if you're talking about YTD. Or since April 1. But not for the past month, 2 months, or 2.5 months.

At least not in relation to normal. No matter how one feels or how green their grass is, facts are facts.  :)

A forum for the end of the world.

I haven’t seen you post any fog or drizzle pictures, actually. Sort of ironic. :lol:

I just posted a video of rain falling yesterday.

And I have posted fog pics before when it looks cool.

Yeah, that's a really common phenomenon around here during ULL season.

Definitely... happens all the time here on those sun breaks and showers type days in the spring.  

Got a little bit of steam coming off the roads yesterday after a mid day shower passed through Kirkland. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Definitely... happens all the time here on those sun breaks and showers type days in the spring.

Interesting. I guess I wouldn’t know, since we never get convective showers during the cool season.

Accurate statement if you're talking about YTD. Or since April 1. But not for the past month, 2 months, or 2.5 months.

At least not in relation to normal. No matter how one feels or how green their grass is, facts are facts.  :)

Actually... it can easily be very wet here and still be below normal for a period of time.    We get lots of rain... most of it runs off into the ocean falling on saturated ground.  

Actually... it can easily be very wet here and still be below normal for a period of time.    We get lots of rain... most of it runs off into the ocean falling on saturated ground.  

Yes. It can be "wet" recently, but still drier than normal over a 2 month period...even abnormally dry.

That's why it's silly to argue that these maps are wrong, simply because your area has gotten some decent rain recently.

Yes. It can be "wet" recently, but still drier than normal over a 2 month period...even abnormally dry.

That's why it's silly to argue that these maps are wrong, simply because your area has gotten some decent rain recently.

But abnormally dry implies that there is a shortage of moisture and things are drying out.  

My point is that even with 75% of normal rain for a month or two...  it can still be thoroughly saturated here just as if we had 150% of normal rain.     Particularly after a very wet April and wet rainy season.  

I can say that the ground here is thoroughly saturated.   Getting 10 inches of rain over the next week would not change anything.   Saturated is saturated.  Lakes and reservoirs are full and the ground is like a sponge.   

This is also helped by the fact that we have had so many completely cloudy and chilly days recently.  

But abnormally dry implies that there is a shortage of moisture and things are drying out.  

My point is that even with 75% of normal rain for a month or two...  it can still be thoroughly saturated here just as if we had 150% of normal rain.     Particularly after a very wet April and wet rainy season.  

I can say that the ground here is thoroughly saturated.   Getting 10 inches of rain over the next week would not change anything.   Saturated is saturated.  Lakes and reservoirs are full and the ground is like a sponge.   

This is also helped by the fact that we have had so many completely cloudy and chilly days recently.  

I don't know about that. I'm not an expert on deep soil moisture or how drought risk is calculated, and I don't think you are either.

I do know that what's happened the past 2.5 months has more relevance in this conversation than what happened in January or early April. That's been obvious by watching the drought areas expand over the PNW the past couple months.

• Like 1

I don't know about that. I'm not an expert on deep soil moisture or how drought risk is calculated, and I don't think you are either.

I do know that what's happened the past 2.5 months has more relevance in this conversation than what happened in January or early April. That's been obvious by watching the drought areas expand over the PNW the past couple months.

And rain on 8 of the last 10 days matters more than what happened in May.

Are lakes and reservoirs less than full? Is the grass going dormant? Are the rivers really low? When you dig down is the ground dry?

The answer is no to all of things here. I am certain we are healthy in terms of water here... as usual.

Just seeing the sun today felt like a major achievement.

I almost think those drought maps are based off of how much rainfall deficit there is over x amount of time and nothing else. It was abnormally dry in May, but now it is not. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

And rain on 8 of the last 10 days matters more than what happened in May.

Not for drought risk. The last two months matters more than the past 10 days.

And even over those 10 days, it's not like there was heavy/widespread rain undoing the dryness of the previous 2 months.

It's been very dry for the whole region over the past 2.5 months overall. For your neck of the woods and a relatively small area up to Arlington, it's been close to normal precip over the past month. So not as dry as the rest of the region, and obviously not at as much risk for drought.

Not sure what point you're trying to make beyond that, other than you'd prefer more sun than you've seen lately. Duh...

Not for drought risk. The last two months matters more than the past 10 days.

And even over those 10 days, it's not like there was heavy/widespread rain undoing the dryness of the previous 2 months.

It's been very dry for the whole region over the past 2.5 months overall. For your neck of the woods and a relatively small area up to Arlington, it's been close to normal precip over the past month. So not as dry as the rest of the region, and obviously not at as much risk for drought.

Not sure what point you're trying to make beyond that, other than you'd prefer more sun than you've seen lately. Duh...

I can see the effects of all the rain and cloudy weather recently... firsthand.

The grass was drying out in early June... its back to lush green now.   Are you saying that the 60s and 70s and so many cloudy days in May destroyed the deeper water supply here after a wet rainy season... good snowpack... and 15 inches of rain in April alone?   Its not like was in the 90s and windy every day in May!   It was not a real summery month here at all... despite less than normal rain.

Your claims about it being abnormally dry here are just wrong in terms of soil moisture and water supply.   Like I said... if we had 10 inches of rain in the next week the lakes and reservoirs would still be at 100% and the ground would still be saturated and it would have all run off into the ocean.   No change from right now.   The ground is saturated.   It can't just keep adding water.   It runs off.

Its not dry here.   You would know that immediately if you were here.    Its probably pretty normal for this time of year... thoroughly wet.  

69/37 here today. Not a daily record though even in my 7 year period of record. Was 34 on this date in 2012. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I can see the effects of all the rain and cloudy weather recently... firsthand.

The grass was drying out in early June... its back to lush green now.   Are you saying that the 60s and 70s and so many cloudy days in May destroyed the deeper water supply here after a wet rainy season... good snowpack... and 15 inches of rain in April alone?   Its not like was in the 90s and windy every day in May!   It was not a real summery month here at all... despite less than normal rain.

Your claims about it being abnormally dry here are just wrong in terms of soil moisture and water supply.   Like I said... if we had 10 inches of rain in the next week the lakes and reservoirs would still be at 100% and the ground would still be saturated and it would have all run off into the ocean.   No change from right now.   The ground is saturated.   It can't just keep adding water.   It runs off.

Its not dry here.   You would know that immediately if you were here.    Its probably pretty normal for this time of year... thoroughly wet.  

I'm not saying anything other than what the facts and maps made by professionals say.

You're just going on with the same tired drivel and ignoring the distinctions that have been made in this conversation. Pointless to continue with you.  :lol:

46 at SLE this morning. Definitely some UHI changes gone on there the past two decades as we have covered here before. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.