November 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Timmy Supercell

1968-69 was probably better in the PNW than any 1800s Nino that we have record of, although I've seen 1865-66 categorized as a Nino so I guess that one might top it.

1968-69 was insane. I have no idea if it will ever be repeated. Realistically, I'd have to say no, especially under El Nino and high solar conditions, that were present during that winter. But the climate does go in cycles, so of course it could be repeated. But I have my doubts. It would epic if it was repeated again though.  :D 

Phil, do you have insight on why that winter was so cold and snowy in the PNW despite the moderate El Nino and high solar?

What winter was our most epic Niño for snow/cold...68/69?

1972 had a great Dec event in a niño.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

1972 had a great Dec event in a niño.

Forgot about that one! Also Dec. 1998 had a very respectable event as well. (Pretty sure it was a Niño anyway)

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Phil, do you have insight on why that winter was so cold and snowy in the PNW despite the moderate El Nino and high solar?

I’d say the strongest -NAO in recorded history played a major role.

This is a pattern we rarely see today..

MQvbVXI.png

Still dumping buckets and now the power is attempting to go out.

Much nicer weather is close at hand now. At least there will be some sun and dry weather at times. We have earned some better weather up here. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

House is rocking here now. Very loud out there.

Jealous :/

Don't remember the last time we had a good windstorm.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Pray to the Storm King

I'm tempted to. Perhaps that's what we need to get a 958 MB low barreling into Forks, WA. Will give Portland something it hasn't received in many years.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys have us beat in the snow department big time since 2013!

Not terribly. You guys got some stuff in December 2013 and February 2014, and our winter totals for 2016-2017 were actually very close to equal. You guys got snow last November and more of a "white Christmas" than we did.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Rain filling in down here and looks really heavy down in Olympia area!

Wind has picked up a little but nothing dramatic

Also got to enjoy a huge rat running south right past my dog as he was doing his thing outside. Need to check farmers almanac on that..could be good or bad weather wise

B59A6385-166D-49E1-A928-5AF66767D0A2.jpeg

I love it, they said it would be a "soaker" in Portland but we have a whopping 0.03 inches. Why? I don't understand :(

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Flood warning in effect here for the Snoqualmie River...

The National Weather Service in Seattle has issued a

* Flood Warning for
The Snoqualmie River near the Falls
* from this afternoon to late tonight.
* At 4:45 AM Sunday the flow was 14081 cfs.
* Forecast...The river will rise above flood flow around 12 PM Sunday
and crest near 22500 cfs around 4 PM Sunday. The river will fall
below flood flow this evening.
* Impact...At 20000 cfs, the Snoqualmie River will cause widespread
flooding of pasture lands and roads along the river from the town
of Snoqualmie downstream through Fall City. Roads that may become
flooded include Fall City-Carnation...Tolt Hill...and Novelty Flats
Roads. This river level on the Snoqualmie corresponds roughly to a
phase 3 flood in the King County flood system.

Many places in the central and north Cascades foothills and mountains received another 2-3 inches of rain in the last 24 hours and some places are approaching 10 inches in the last 72 hours.

Snoqualmie Pass averages just over 13 inches of rain for November and has already received 6-7 inches.    Spada Lake which is just north of Snoqualmie Pass is over 9 inches now in the last 72 hours.    

Not nearly as much rain here... only about 3.5 inches for the month so far but its raining hard right now in the c-zone.    

Rain shadow has been quite distinct with SEA at .55 for the month.  

Hopefully we are done with warm AR rain now and we can start building a mountain snow pack!   An event like this is much worse when it happens after the snow pack has been established... in terms of skiing and flooding with the snow melt adding to the runoff.     

And this warm and wet start to November here has me very encouraged about what is coming later this month and in December.   I am glad we avoided a late October and early November cold snap.    Time for low solar to work its magic now.    :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

* Flood Warning for

Many places in the central and north Cascades foothills and mountains received another 2-3 inches of rain in the last 24 hours and some places are approaching 10 inches in the last 72 hours.

Snoqualmie Pass averages just over 13 inches of rain for November and has already received 6-7 inches.    Spada Lake which is just north of Snoqualmie Pass is over 9 inches now in the last 72 hours.    

Not nearly as much rain here... only about 3.5 inches for the month so far but its raining hard right now in the c-zone.    

Hopefully we are done with warm AR rain now and we can start building a mountain snow pack!   An event like this is much worse when happens after the snow pack has been established... in terms of skiing and flooding with the snow melt adding to the runoff.     

Honestly I have been watching the radar very closely this month and there is no way your location has seen 3.5 inches of rain so far. No need to overexaggerate.

Honestly I have been watching the radar very closely this month and there is no way your location has seen 3.5 inches of rain so far. No need to overexaggerate.

Unbelievable.   I am sure you are baiting me here and by going through the details it will look like I am complaining.  

Just for your reference since you are saying I am making up data... here is a cross-reference of radar and actual conditions.    :)

ATX-0-3.png

And a video of what is happening here...

https://vimeo.com/298847786

20181104-070535.jpg

Not terribly. You guys got some stuff in December 2013 and February 2014, and our winter totals for 2016-2017 were actually very close to equal. You guys got snow last November and more of a "white Christmas" than we did.

Exactly, the central and south valley haven't been as great. Hell, Corvallis has the longest active snow drought in the entire PNW.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

While I don't agree with his incessant need to constantly talk about it, 3.5 inches seems about right for his area. I'm about a half hour away from him, in the Snoqualmie Valley, and I've recorded 2.75 inches of rain since November 1. Taking a look at other nearby weather stations, it seems to range between 2.5-3.5 inches.

It's valid to call him out for being annoying. It's not valid to call him out for lying about totals.

And it's certainly not unusual at all to have a period like this in November here.    Happens almost every year.

* Flood Warning for

Snoqualmie Pass averages just over 13 inches of rain for November and has already received 6-7 inches. Spada Lake which is just north of Snoqualmie Pass is over 9 inches now in the last 72 hours.

Hopefully we are done with warm AR rain now and we can start building a mountain snow pack! An event like this is much worse when it happens after the snow pack has been established... in terms of skiing and flooding with the snow melt adding to the runoff.

And this warm and wet start to November here has me very encouraged about what is coming later this month and in December. I am glad we avoided a late October and early November cold snap. Time for low solar to work its magic now. :)

I’m surprised snoqualmie pass only averages 13” in November, are you sure about that one.

We've managed .14" since midnight. Feels like a flood compared to what we have been getting.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

While I don't agree with his incessant need to constantly talk about it, 3.5 inches seems about right for his area. I'm about a half hour away from him, in the Snoqualmie Valley, and I've recorded 2.75 inches of rain since November 1. Taking a look at other nearby weather stations, it seems to range between 2.5-3.5 inches.

It's valid to call him out for being annoying. It's not valid to call him out for lying about totals.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Conjuring up the perfect post to trigger Tim.

• Like 1

I’m surprised snoqualmie pass only averages 13” in November, are you sure about that one.

Snoqualmie Pass averages 13.59 inches of precip in November.   

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?wa7781

Had another inch of rainfall yesterday into last night. It’s becoming quite apparent that I have some drainage projects to do around the property. Sorry Front Ranger, you can post all the maps you want about us slowly dying of dehydration but around western Washington the ground is at its saturation point. Runoff galore from here on out! Currently breezy, partly cloudy, and no idea on temp since my thermometer sensor quit working. Time to head up the ladder and clean out some gutters!

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Had another inch of rainfall yesterday into last night. It’s becoming quite apparent that I have some drainage projects to do around the property. Sorry Front Ranger, you can post all the maps you want about us slowly dying of dehydration but around western Washington the ground is at its saturation point. Runoff galore from here on out! Currently breezy, partly cloudy, and no idea on temp since my thermometer sensor quit working. Time to head up the ladder and clean out some gutters!

Anecdotes > facts

Just for your reference since you are saying I am making up data... here is a cross-reference of radar and actual conditions. :)

ATX-0-3.png

And a video of what is happening here...

https://vimeo.com/298847786

20181104-070535.jpg

Youre getting deluged today. Received another 0.26" from yesterday into the night. Sun has been out for awhile this morning in the Kenmore area.

Hope everyone got some extra sleep this morning!

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Youre getting deluged today. Received another 0.26" from yesterday into the night. Sun has been out for awhile this morning in the Kenmore area.

Yeah... c-zone stopped its southward movement and is now creeping northward again.   Almost got out of it for a little while but now its raining hard again.  

Dogs and daughter do not get the concept of adding an hour so no...no extra sleep. None.