November 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Timmy Supercell

KUIL is now almost to 16 inches of rain on the month... which is over 2.5 inches above normal.  

You know its an impressive system when places on the Olympic Peninsula and the WA coast more than doubled their daily rainfall records in late November!  

A continuation of the theme of very focused heavy rainfall events and distinct dry periods.    :)

Much more the exception than the rule. Still quite the dry month for the region overall through yesterday.

MonthPNormWRCC-NW.png

A forum for the end of the world.

We could see some advisory snow totals in the south cascades Saturday.

And then we have this...

921 AM PST Tue Nov 27 2018[/size]...SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WITH POTENTIAL FOR FUNNEL CLOUDS...[/size]Showers with scattered thunderstorms will spread across southwest[/size]Washington and northwest Oregon today. Some of these will produce[/size]heavy downpours and brief gusty winds. [/size]We are monitoring the potential for funnel clouds this afternoon[/size]as this weather pattern has produced funnel clouds in the past. [/size]Any funnel cloud could touch down as a brief tornado. If you see[/size]a funnel cloud, move indoors to safety, then contact local law [/size]enforcement or the National Weather Service in Portland.[/size]

This won’t happen !

We will move outdoors into danger with our cell phones taking pictures

By age , yes they can get their permits. What I meant was, they shouldn't be driving, they are idiots behind the wheel at that age, I see it everyday when I pick up my daughter from school.

I agree with this... 100%.   

My son was almost killed by one of those idiots.   Driving 90 mph on frosty roads around tight curves.   They went off the road and went so far down an embankment in the woods that the car was no longer visible from the road.     Their path somehow missed at least 20 large trees that would have killed them all instantly.    They came to a stop at the bottom of the hill with air bags deployed and the car totaled but all of them were unhurt.   

The cops and tow truck driver said they really do not know how they survived and that it was truly a miracle.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We could see some advisory snow totals in the south cascades Saturday.

And then we have this...

921 AM PST Tue Nov 27 2018

...SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WITH POTENTIAL FOR FUNNEL CLOUDS...

Showers with scattered thunderstorms will spread across southwest

Washington and northwest Oregon today. Some of these will produce

heavy downpours and brief gusty winds. 

We are monitoring the potential for funnel clouds this afternoon

as this weather pattern has produced funnel clouds in the past. 

Any funnel cloud could touch down as a brief tornado. If you see

a funnel cloud, move indoors to safety, then contact local law 

enforcement or the National Weather Service in Portland.

Portland NWS about to issue a Funnel Cloud Warning.

A forum for the end of the world.

By age , yes they can get their permits. What I meant was, they shouldn't be driving, they are idiots behind the wheel at that age, I see it everyday when I pick up my daughter from school.

Since I travel a lot for work I see more middle aged balding men driving like idiots in their Dodge Rams (only in Rams for some reason) and also semi drivers since I travel the pass each week. I’m sure the majority are fantastic but wow I have seen some horrific driving and even a few crashes which was all the truck drivers fault. Actually the kids are the overly cautious ones!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

My son was almost killed by one of those idiots. Driving 90 mph on frosty roads around tight curves. They went off the road and went so far down an embankment in the woods that the car was no longer visible from the road. Their path somehow missed at least 20 large trees that would have killed them all instantly. They came to a stop at the bottom of the hill with air bags deployed and the car totaled but all of them were unhurt.

The cops and tow truck driver said they really do not know how they survived and that it was truly a miracle.

Your son is one of those idiots then. The passengers are as responsible as the driver, IMO.
  • Like 1

Much more the exception than the rule. Still quite the dry month for the region overall through yesterday.

attachicon.gifMonthPNormWRCC-NW.png

I will wait until those maps update at least through tomorrow.    I am not sure when they cut off the day... it could be with the 4 p.m. update.    

Obviously SEA southward will still be below normal.   We have established that.    

Southern BC has been fairly wet this month as well.   The map would look different if you could look at just our "region" up here of WA, northern OR, and southern BC.    :)      

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Your son is one of those idiots then. The passengers are as responsible as the driver, IMO.

Not in this case.    The driver just went nuts... other kids said he was suicidal.   The passengers were screaming at him to stop.   My son could barely talk after the experience... he was shaking so badly.   To this day... he says the driver honestly tried to kill them all.  

Not in this case. The driver just went nuts... other kids said he was suicidal. The passengers were screaming at him to stop. My son could barely talk after the experience... he was shaking so badly. To this day... he says the driver honestly tried to kill them all.

Okay. Well that’s crazy.
  • Like 1

Not in this case. The driver just went nuts... other kids said he was suicidal. The passengers were screaming at him to stop. My son could barely talk after the experience... he was shaking so badly. To this day... he says the driver honestly tried to kill them all.

Must have been during a stretch of persistent warm frontal rain.

• Like 5

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

And now just an occasional shower. I remember when it used to steadily rain here for a couple days.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Somehow Snoqualmie Pass has avoided the warm up so far... it's been 33 there since yesterday. Lots of rain and sleet but the snow on the ground is still intact.

Yesterday into the very early morning hours today was seriously wet. 1.60" of rain here. 4.13" for the month now.

Mild and nice out there right now. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Will need to check my collector funnel when I return home. Like Phil a leaf may of found its way in and clogged the hole.

That is a huge difference! Will check the surrounding gauges as well

That’d be my guess. If not that, then take the top off and check the tipping bucket for any debris accredition.

• Like 1

Yesterday into the very early morning hours today was seriously wet. 1.60" of rain here. 4.13" for the month now.

Mild and nice out there right now. 

Beautiful now in Seattle following the record rainfall yesterday...

sea-11-27.png

My son was almost killed by one of those idiots.   Driving 90 mph on frosty roads around tight curves.   They went off the road and went so far down an embankment in the woods that the car was no longer visible from the road.     Their path somehow missed at least 20 large trees that would have killed them all instantly.    They came to a stop at the bottom of the hill with air bags deployed and the car totaled but all of them were unhurt.   

One of the first things I did was take my son out and show him how to drive in winter conditions. Explained to him how important it was to watch the outside temp when driving and the road looks wet, why there needs to be more room between him and the vehicle ahead of him. Thank god your son was ok man.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Somehow Snoqualmie Pass has avoided the warm up so far... it's been 33 there since yesterday. Lots of rain and sleet but the snow on the ground is still intact.

Must be some cold air drainage coming from east to west through the gap.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"