November 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Timmy Supercell

Wow that is some incredibly cold air on the 12z ECMWF about to dump into the Central US. Looks like it's trying to creep into the PNW as well at the end of the run.

Will be interesting to see what the EPS shows.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

ECMWF surface maps for the 12Z run and WB are only updated through 30 hours and not moving forward now.

The massive cold air to our north froze the run.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Looks like the EPS mean is a notch further west with the block... Control run looks to be fun one.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Ridge is a lot more stationary on this run which is great to see. That low is still messing with things though.

Cold Season 2023/24:

How much rain did PDX get last night? Wunderground doesn’t seem to have the most accurate readings, as it said 0.03” fell yesterday. Maybe it was just counted in today’s readings. What’s a reliable source?

Total of .62 so far since yesterday.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Been awhile since we’ve seen a true Alaskan vortex pattern.

This is a good reminder. It’s catastrophically terrible, despite the 500mb deception.

vaULm5n.png

8I2Lw5W.png

12Z EPS:

5-10 day period...

eps-t850a-5d-noram-41-1.png

10-15 day period...

eps-t850a-5d-noram-61-1.png

Interesting the CPC is still calling for temps slightly below normal, with above normal precipitation for the 8-14 day period.  And in their discussions, they don't seem to talk at all about the 850's.  I have read there are a lot of limitations using the 850's to predict temperature, especially during the cool season, maybe that is why.  And if you look at the raw data for the other models that show surface temperatures, which I wouldn't take that seriously anyway, it actually shows what would be below normal temperatures during the same time period.  That might have something to do with the low resolution.

I think Tim has been posting the exact same map over and over for weeks now.

I am just posting what it shows for the 5-10 day and 10-15 day mean... I have been making no comments and posting the same blended periods each time which is what I was instructed to do previously.

I can stop posting WB maps if that is better.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It's also an 850mb anomaly map, which means less and less at this point in the year.

This is what I have read, you probably know a bit more, is this what you are thinking?

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/278/

LIMITATIONS

Forecasting the surface high using the 850-mb temperature has been a popular forecasting technique. First I will go over the limitations of using this method:

1. Method does not work on cloudy days or days with afternoon precipitation

2. There is a tendency that temperature will be higher than predicted on days the wind is light and will be lower than predicted on days the wind is strong. This is because the low level wind effects the depth of mixing.

3. Method assumes air is mixed only between the surface and 850 mb. If the air mixes to a height significantly above or below 850 mb the technique will not work accurately.

4. Method does not account for elevation. High elevation regions have a greater chance of mixing air that is above 850 mb.

5. Daylight hours effect accuracy. There is a significant difference in daylight hours between the warm and cool season.

6. Method only works in a barotropic atmosphere. Fronts or differential advection will contaminate technique.

7. Method does not work well in regions with complex topography or near mesoscale temperature gradients such as coastal areas, very hilly areas, and areas near large lakes.

The method works best in locations near sea level, in the warm season, on barotropic days, with flat topography, on moderate windy cloud-free days. If any of these conditions are not met then take that into account on the temperature prediction.

It's also an 850mb anomaly map, which means less and less at this point in the year.

You can tell when lowland snow is unlikely with warm 850mb temps... and when the potential is there with cold 850mb temps.  

I wouldn't be surprised if I manage around a half inch of rain today. It's been raining quite a bit here since 2-3am. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

God d*mn. Ugliest euro weeklies I’ve ever seen. Not even gonna bother posting it.

I think the model might be mishandling upstream wavetrains following the Siberian high descent, but still not a pleasant thing to look at.