11/24 - 11/26 Winter Storm

Tom

00z EPS staying put and has the best snows from E NE/IA into WI...DSM to MSN jack zone...someone in C IA/E IA is going to get clobbered, quite possibly even into S/C WI.  6" snow mean showing up for C IA into SW WI, 4.5" near OMA/LNK.  For Chicago, not looking good as the SLP tracks nearly overhead or just south of the city...not an ideal track.  However, the good thing is, this storm is intensifying as it tracks east which would allow for better dynamic cooling and also feature a very tightly wrapped up storm system which increases the chances of getting accumulating snows on the backside once the low passes.  

After seeing the EPS members, IMO, IA/WI will be the big winners.  There should easily be a band of 6-10", local 12" totals along with possible blizzard conditions.  What a fantastic storm system shaping up.  IA snow magnet this season???  Not long ago, it was the "IA Low Magnet"...things are different this season.  Climo should be thrown out the window as it clearly has not provided any value during this autumn season.  Unlike years past, look for the unexpected instead of the expected.

• Like 3

06z GEFS snow mean looks very similar to the EPS...seeing some consistency here....might be some slight shifts here and there, but those in E NE/IA/WI look good to me...

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gefs/2018112206/114/snod.conus.png

FWIW, the 00z Ukie was the farthest south of the bunch....

Wouldn't be surprised to see watches issued this afternoon. Especially and along and south of I-80 Lincoln eastward.

They could out by you guys (further W) but i would be surprised if DMX does. They will wait till Friday AM and that would still leave plenty of time to upgrade / downgrade etc.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Your call may not be far off Clinton...that baby digs! This is going to one powerful storm.

Using the LRC and factoring in the blocking this should be a blizzard that extends from KC to Chicago with the highest amounts in between.  For me personally if it could track another 50 miles further east before making it's turn I would maximize this.  I think this run of the NAM is real close.

I am liking the southern movement. This is not a great scenario for us in Central Nebraska as it strengthens to the east, but this would give us a little bit more than the GFS has shown so far. As with every storm, it will hit someone and leaves others disappointed. Good news is that many on here believe there are a lot more opportunities coming.

Happy Thanksgiving to the great people of the weatherforums. Really enjoy checking in here daily.

• Like 1

The big upper gyre in southern Canada keeps progressing farther south and east on the GFS, ends up squashing the storm south and east.  It would really be something to have three big snow events miss me to the south in November.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

FV3-GFS still very different than the regular GFS.  The FV3 just doesn't have that upper low to the north dipping down into the US like the GFS does, which allows Iowa to get nailed.  In fact, the FV3 has moved a bit farther north and misses CR to the nw with the best snow.

BTW, my posting will continue to be inconsistent and perhaps sparse because of computer issues.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Frankly, I think the FV3 is overdoing it a bit.  It's very wrapped up with a 989 mb low, several mb lower than the euro.  A bit farther south and not as strong is more likely.

• Like 1