December 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

Eh, it’s a mixed bag. Except for those 4-5 horrific summer months, it’s actually pretty tame here.

We don’t get extreme cold, and big tornadoes/large hail are very rare (lots of small EF1 type stuff & pea to marble sized hail, but the major stuff is very infrequent).

Big blizzards only happen once every 2-3 years, with long stretches of mediocre snowfall in between. And those mediocre stretches can be brutal (from Feb 2011 to Nov 2013, we only saw 5.7” of snow..talk about pathetic).

yes its a very feast and famine type of climate here which at times I wonder how alot even can make winter outlooks in our reagion because predicting every winter here is a crapshoot at best alot of things can complicate the outlooks in this area. I seen years where most outlooks went with full on snow and cold and it ended up the exact opposite warm and snowless while other years there were outlooks that went warm and snowless and we had cold and record snow :lol:

12z GFS says we quickly go into a more cool and active pattern after a little ridging around the solistice. To good too be true?

The consolidated jet stuff could make a brief return during the last week of December, when waves begin breaking sequentially upstream as the PV unravels.

But the big jet/Alaska-GOA vortex regime will undergo a general weakening trend after mid-December, with a large GOA/EPO ridge eventually establishing itself there during early/mid January.

Actually looks similar to January 2013 (both in terms of the PV breakdown/SSW and the progression of the intraseasonal tropical forcing).

Yes, it's a very feast or famine type of climate here. At times I wonder how anyone can even make winter outlooks in our region, since predicting every winter here is a crap shoot at best. A lot of things can complicate the outlooks in this area. I have seen years where most outlooks went with full on snow and cold, and it ended up the exact opposite - warm and snow less. While other years there were outlooks that went warm and snow less and we had cold and record snow.  :lol:

Fixed.

A forum for the end of the world.

yes its a very feast and famine type of climate here which at times I wonder how alot even can make winter outlooks in our reagion because predicting every winter here is a crapshoot at best alot of things can complicate the outlooks in this area. I seen years where most outlooks went with full on snow and cold and it ended up the exact opposite warm and snowless while other years there were outlooks that went warm and snowless and we had cold and record snow :lol:

Last OT post, but a little known fact is that, with the exception of summer downbursts, it’s actually the NW windstorms in Feb-Apr that cause the majority of the weather-related issues here. More than double snow, ice, and flooding issues combined.

IAD averages 5-6 wind events between 50-80mph every winter/spring, not including summer storms. That’s rough on infrastructure.

:huh:

Very little has changed about this place in years. A few additions and subtractions to a rotating cast of characters, talking about the same sort of stuff season after season, with new angles on familiar topics occasionally surfacing.

Your insatiable desire to start arguments certainly hasn’t changed.

• Like 1

In the upper 40s and will easily hit 50 again today.

At least it looks like there will be some active weather and some rain over the next week. Better than endless shitt split flow.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Looks like the warm front rain shield is lifting north now... it has stopped raining here.

This is good news for Snoqualmie Pass because the snow turned to rain earlier before it ended.    No precipitation is better than rain for skiing... as my son has told me many times.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Got a High Wind Watch for Everett. NWS calling for 40mph sustained and gusts to 60mph.

First decent wind event for me since the August 2015 storm.

Jealous!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Huh, strange. GFS and NAM show stronger winds in PDX (40-50) than in Seattle proper. EURO isn’t buying yet. Both show gusts anywhere from 45-55 on Tuesday.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Not Even sure what to think of that. Such a muted signal. Everything north of 50 looks like a ridge.

Gonna take a little while to rebuild the Arctic cold on this side of the pole (probably won’t happen until we complete the SSW cycle). The +EPO/Pacific jet is obliterating every ounce of legitimate cold in the Western Hemisphere.

Gonna take a little while to rebuild the Arctic cold on this side of the pole (probably won’t happen until we complete the SSW cycle). The +EPO/Pacific jet is obliterating every ounce of legitimate cold in the Western Hemisphere.

Any guesses as to the main event with the SSW? Next week, week after? I like hearing your analyses and guesses on this stuff.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Now that we've gone through a list of "late start" lowland winters, I'd like to see a similar list but showing "late starts" for the mountains and see which seasons were still good ones. I bet it's not uncommon for strong ones to start in January.

Reason I bring this up because I see a few folks already worrying that the cascades might have a bad season. I think it's a little early to begin worrying. I'd give it 3-4 more weeks.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 22
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Anymore OT posts will result in a ban.

Would rather read some off topic facts than have to scroll past Tims continued efforts to prove how much rain he gets, even after being warned.

Kind of reminds me of my 2 year old daughter... I can tell her not to do something, but she will continue to push the boundaries if I don't actually enforce a punishment.

• Like 1