12/26 - 12-28 Winter Storm

Tom

Omaha is now included in the Winter Weather Advisory through tonight due to ice accumulations of up to a tenth of an inch, and up to an inch of snow along with 40 MPH winds. This is an unexpected surprise.

Not a fan of ice, but enjoy your WWA. Stay safe there.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Wow, that wind is REALLY cranking outside.  It's gotta be gusting upwards of 40 mph.  I can definitely see why the blizzard warnings have been hoisted.  This is a very impressive system.  I've had over an inch of rain from it so far and might squeeze out several inches of snow.  Another disappointment in that regard.  This is the 2nd system that soaked me with over an inch of rain this December.  Ridiculous.  I'm beyond over these 2 inch snowfalls and that's all I've had this season.

Speaking of ridiculous, I have seen only 0.1" of snow thus far in December. Honestly, it does not want to snow this month at all. In fact, after today's rainstorm here IMBY, another rainstorm is forecasted for NYE n NYD. Ugh!

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

This is incredible. Sitting about 1 mile north of the rain snow line... Wunderground radar shows the freezing line retreating by about 10 miles and it started "snowglobing" outside after raining lightly for a couple hours. Hope it stays this way.

Lucky you! Hope the snow adds up. Pouring rain and 34 here. Streets and yard are flooded. I got about 3” of snow overnight and now it’s like thick cement. It’s going to be interesting when all of this water freezes tonight.

Just picked up a few mood flakes of pixie dust around here... the WWA was definitely not warranted for Omaha.

This was definitely a late December “rainer” for this area, picked up 1.60 of rain for the storm total. I would have been happy with this kind of system in September or April, however getting this kind of moisture without enough cold air in place for snow this time of year around here is a huge disappointment. On to the next I guess.

• Like 2

Just drove around out town. Many cars stranded and drifts are going to make tough work on driveways. I got my done but it was hard work. Still waiting for official snowfall totals, my guess is 8” or so but hard to measure with 50 mph winds. In some places I can see the top of the grass and in other places it is a deep snow pack. Saw some impressive drifts

• Like 2

Just picked up a few mood flakes of pixie dust around here... the WWA was definitely not warranted for Omaha.

This was definitely a late December “rainer” for this area, picked up 1.60 of rain for the storm total. I would have been happy with this kind of system in September or April, however getting this kind of moisture without enough cold air in place for snow this time of year around here is a huge disappointment. On to the next I guess.

This is the 2nd system with over an inch of rain for me this month. I've been missed from every direction by the heavy snow bands.  I'm really about to blow a gasket honestly. Ended up with a measly inch while areas 60 miles to the West got over 6 inches once again.

• Like 1

The Arrowhead of MN is getting raked...there was report of 18" along the lake shore earlier this afternoon and its been snowing non stop heavily since then and will likely continue all night, esp with ENE winds enhancing the snowfall.  That's prob going to be the golden zone from this storm.

• Like 2

Had a few surprising wind gusts this evening. Wind Advisory one county west. Peak gust in the 30's mph. Not bad for the warm side of this system. Very much like an early Nov storm with snow way up in the Arrowhead and mild temps and windy here. Much better than the dullness of the past 3 wks I will add. :)

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Got 1.42” of rain from this system. Was not expecting any snow but got a heavy dusting of snow this morning, with maybe a bit more this afternoon.

I also finished with 1.42" and a dusting of snow.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I left Lincoln at 7:30 this morning and it looks like that's about when the snow stopped too. Lincoln got missed to the North by one county AGAIN. I wasn't even home for that one and it's irritating. I had maybe a half inch on the ground when I left.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Exactly what I didn't want ice through Iowa. Sigh this is so much fun

I'm on US 20 near Waterloo and I had ice build on my windshield. Got off the highway and immediately slid on ice. I thought the drive back on Monday would be the leg to be worried about but now it's looking like today is worse.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Nice surprise over here. Had kind of a light mix of everything early afternoon and it switched over to all snow a while ago. Looks like its intensifying a bit on radar. Would be nice if this lasted a while. Prolly quarter inch on ground. It's also windy and temp is down to 20. Finally looks and feels like winter. Wasn't really expecting this today!

• Like 1

Nice surprise over here. Had kind of a light mix of everything early afternoon and it switched over to all snow a while ago. Looks like its intensifying a bit on radar. Would be nice if this lasted a while. Prolly quarter inch on ground. It's also windy and temp is down to 20. Finally looks and feels like winter. Wasn't really expecting this today!

Came down pretty hard when I was in Ft Dodge. Fat flakes.

I'm on US 20 near Waterloo and I had ice build on my windshield. Got off the highway and immediately slid on ice. I thought the drive back on Monday would be the leg to be worried about but now it's looking like today is worse.

Yeah ended up getting through although the icing was not fun. Just got through Des Moines with that snow band and rush that was not enjoyable. Almost home thankfully. Nice to see the snow though.