January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

That’s insane! The wet bulb effect must have been making the difference for a lot of people.

My dad got a job down in south Dakota between 2010 and 2012. So I missed out on a few good events.

There was a pretty notably cold airmass in place ahead of a very wet warm front. It snowed close to a foot in about 6 hours.

Yea you missed

Nov 2010

January 2011

January 2012, probably the last legitimate arctic outflow to hit Victoria

• Like 1

South Dakota?

The January 2011 storm was pretty marginal. I drive from downtown to Duncan around 11pm that night. Mixed rain and snow at Quadra and hillside. Heavy wet snow accumulation started around the Mackenzie overpass with several inches and poor road conditions in Langford. Whiteout conditions from Goldstream north. I lived in Duncan then and had about 13”. My parents in Shawnigan reported 17” IIRC. It was 50 and raining the next day though.

Yeah, that was probably the fastest that I've seen heavy snow melt. Went from a depth of 7-8" in Bellingham at 1am to a couple inches of slush by 7am and then nothing at all by evening.

Yeah, that was probably the fastest that I've seen heavy snow melt. Went from a depth of 7-8" in Bellingham at 1am to a couple inches of slush by 7am and then nothing at all by evening.

Didn't that also happen in Jan 2009? I think it was. I remember in Dec we had tons of snow, so I think that's why it was in 2008, and then a few days later like in early Jan, we had tons of rain that just caused floods and all our beautiful snow to disappear!

Last night I was looking through old photo albums to find pictures of myself, and I found a picture with tons of snow on the ground at my house in 1991.

Didn't that also happen in Jan 2009? I think it was. I remember in Dec we had tons of snow, so I think that's why it was in 2008, and then a few days later like in early Jan, we had tons of rain that just caused floods and all our beautiful snow to disappear!

Last night I was looking through old photo albums to find pictures of myself, and I found a picture with tons of snow on the ground at my house in 1991.

That flood in 2009 was probably the last classic pineapple express on heavy snowpack type setup in WA and BC. January 2012 for Oregon.

And January 6-8, 1991 was a very legit snowstorm for NW WA and SW BC. Widespread 12-20" totals over three days. That was the culmination of an amazing 3 week stretch for the region with the two huge arctic airmasses.

There was a lot of snow on the ground in early January that year.

That’s insane! The wet bulb effect must have been making the difference for a lot of people.

My dad got a job down in south Dakota between 2010 and 2012. So I missed out on a few good events.

It was already cold, for a few days it looked like there was going to be a major region wide snowfall, and then maybe another one after that, the biggest one in decades. But the storm tracked north and brought warm weather behind it instead, so the snow was brief. A huge, bitter bust for all of us.

Please show me where I've done that on a storm past 200 hours and perhaps I'll take your statement into account :)

Also, understand that I'm d**n tired of the wind advisories and wind warnings for Seattle. You can't complain or understand because you've had three separate storms in which wind gusts reached over 50 mph in December alone.

You literally just commented "Completely misses the Willamette Valley /:" yesterday in regards to a 200+ hour snow map. A forecast which will change dramatically between now and then.

I can find plenty of examples, no question about that. It's a very repetitive trait with you.

• Like 1

Watertown!  I actually grew to like it down there, was sad to leave

South Dakota and New Mexico are the two states west of the Mississippi I have never visited. I had a friend in college from Rapid City, he loved it. Another good friend was from somewhere in the eastern part of the state. He never talked about it much and seemed to have been happy to have left. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Vancouver BC wet and mild in 2018

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-01-01 at 9.04.50 PM.png

Ended up a wet and mild year from southern BC down through Central Cascades and the Olympic Peninsula.  

The official stations around here and north to the Canadian border end up wetter than normal for the year.   

Some places were impressively wet... like Monroe at almost 9 inches above normal.    

Based on the Snoqualmie Falls and Cedar Lake stations... I probably ended up 4 or 5 inches above normal for 2018.    Not as wet as the last 4 years... but that makes 5 wetter than normal years in a row.     

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You literally just commented "Completely misses the Willamette Valley /:" yesterday in regards to a 200+ hour snow map. A forecast which will change dramatically between now and then.

I can find plenty of examples, no question about that. It's a very repetitive trait with you.

Guess you're right. Then again you have the benefit of living in a place which basically gets everything. If it bothers you, ignore me. It's not hard. Repetitive trait indeed.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

South Dakota and New Mexico are the two states west of the Mississippi I have never visited. I had a friend in college from Rapid City, he loved it. Another good friend was from somewhere in the eastern part of the state. He never talked about it much and seemed to have been happy to have left. 

Rapid City is nice and the scenery is great in the Black Hills.  

30635997001_6226f11f37_b.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I lived in the eastern part of the state and it was lovely. Not nearly as nice as the west with the black hills though.

Oh cool! Some of my family is from there. I even spent the better part of 1998 living there. It’s a pretty relaxing place in the Midwest.

ICONtrol?  

Or maybe you were too young back in 1998 to be in the workforce.   :)

I worked with a consultant for a year from Watertown who worked for ICONtrol which was purchased by Great Plains in 1998 and then they were purchased by Microsoft.  

I lived in the eastern part of the state and it was lovely. Not nearly as nice as the west with the black hills though.

Guess you're right. Then again you have the benefit of living in a place which basically gets everything. If it bothers you, ignore me. It's not hard. Repetitive trait indeed.

You make it sound like we've had an amazing winter. This winter has been absolute dog sh*t. Some rain, some wind, and a very quick slushy snow under a heavy shower. If you're impressed with that, then you need to raise your standards.

You've had some wind down that way, but you quickly dismiss it once it's over and move onto the next. You hit 46 mph and immediately claimed you wanted a 50+ mph storm. C'mon man lol

• Like 1

We are looking in the south hill area and Perry District so not to far out from downtown but still has a small town feel with all the amenities. We like being in an area with neighbors with a little privacy too. Deer park is a really nice area and not nearly as far out there. Don’t blame you for moving.

Liberty Lake is a nice suburb as well. Otis Orchards is too. We like Deer Park Because it's in the snow belt haha

• Like 3

You make it sound like we've had an amazing winter. This winter has been absolute dog sh*t. Some rain, some wind, and a very quick slushy snow under a heavy shower. If you're impressed with that, then you need to raise your standards.

You've had some wind down that way, but you quickly dismiss it once it's over and move onto the next. You hit 46 mph and immediately claimed you wanted a 50+ mph storm. C'mon man lol

You’ve had slushy snow? Lucky man. Haven’t seen a single windshield splat yet.

Gen Z is our next battle!

You had a 66 mph gust, you know how much I would want a gust like that? I don't think you understand my enjoyment of a good windstorm. It isn't fun having a amazing 46 mph gust while the whole region to the north gets slammed with 60 mph+ gusts at every turn. Of course I'm going to dismiss a bluster which lasts an hour, even I have standards for wind.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like its official, most of the region ended up with below normal rainfall for 2018, it wasn't even close!!

But some of us live in the 35-40% of western WA that joined southern BC and was actually wetter than normal for 2018.     Go figure.    

ecmwf_z500_mslp_wus_5.png

Real pretty storm. Very nice and organized, not baggy.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife