Jan. 22nd-23rd Winter Storm

Money

My only problem with Schnack is that he hates winter. Swails loves it and I think that shows in his blogs and extra work he seems to put into his forecasts.

• Like 1

Dubuque 2007-2008 Winter

78.1"  Total snowfall

February Snowfall 32.5"

City salt usage  : 12,211 tons

Days of measurable snow  : 40

Don’t like Schnack? I always thought he was kind of a dickwad, but he seemed to be pretty good at what he did.

Not a big fan lol he always seemed like a big time dork. Did a tour of KWWL back in middle school as a part of our weather club and was kind of a prick.

My only problem with Schnack is that he hates winter. Swails loves it and I think that shows in his blogs and extra work he seems to put into his forecasts.

That’s a good point. He did always seem to have a negative attitude about winter storms. Though I wasn’t sure if that was the way he always was, since I don’t follow as much during the other parts of the year.

As a couple CR posters above mentioned, I had a solid light snow shower for a bit.  Radar shows better returns moving back in, so we should get back into some light snow.  I wish the main plume of moisture over southeast Iowa was moving more northward.  Models have that plume veering east before reaching CR.

Regarding the local mets, Terry Swails and Joe Winters are snow geeks.  It's not a bad thing to have the third one be less of a snow geek and maybe more conservative.  Schnack has been pretty good with his forecasts over the years.  Heck, I always go conservative with our snow events.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

As a couple CR posters above mentioned, I had a solid light snow shower for a bit. Radar shows better returns moving back in, so we should get back into some light snow. I wish the main plume of moisture over southeast Iowa was moving more north. Models have that plume veering east before reaching CR.

Regarding the local mets, Terry Swails and Joe Winters are snow geeks. It's not a bad thing to have the third one be less of a snow geek and maybe more conservative. Schnack has been pretty good with his forecasts over the years. Heck, I always go conservative with our snow events.

Yeah, going conservative on forecasts in this area is usually the best way to go.

As a couple CR posters above mentioned, I had a solid light snow shower for a bit. Radar shows better returns moving back in, so we should get back into some light snow. I wish the main plume of moisture over southeast Iowa was moving more northward. Models have that plume veering east before reaching CR.

Regarding the local mets, Terry Swails and Joe Winters are snow geeks. It's not a bad thing to have the third one be less of a snow geek and maybe more conservative. Schnack has been pretty good with his forecasts over the years. Heck, I always go conservative with our snow events.

Schnack is the most conservative and usually ends up more correct.

The HRRR keeps drying eastern Iowa more each run.  The 19z has Cedar Rapids down to about 0.40".  The heavier precip is now over closer to the river.  It drops off to very little nw of Waterloo.

We finally got a nearly ideal track, but the storm just isn't strong enough.  The cold-sector precip doesn't become quite as widespread and strong as it could be.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

As radar has filled in, light snow has started again here.  It should last for a while this time.  It's too bad the wind will not remain this light.

Wow, heaviest snow band I've been in all winter! It's puking snow outside. Hoping to see continual SW precipitation development.

Yeah, large flakes are dumping at Creighton U.

Here's the Creighton webcam.

http://typo3.creighton.edu/?id=68712