February 2019 Weather Observations and Discussion Part 2

snow_wizard

1-10-17

One can always dream!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

At this point the big thing up here will be to see how cold this week ends up for the mnonthly average temps.  Looking like most places will be anywhere from coldest since 1936 to third coldest sinc 1936.  Also need to see if SEA can tie their record for most lows of 32 or below.  They have 13 and the record is 17.  They should do it.  All in all a great month, but it's too bad Seattle had to end on such a weak note for snow.  This was still unquestionably the snowiest Feb on record for Sea-Tac and certainly the snowiest Feb on the Sea-Tac site at least since 1923.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Guest Sounder

HRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR just trended a tad bit north. All agree on a landfall near Cape Blanco, north or south by a little. Usually I’d be concerned about the low bit moving because of how much of a weenie I am, but I know mesoscales don’t have it veering north until a bit later.

You really should figure out what the word trend means.

• Like 5

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

You really should figure out what the word trend means.

It has been trending north to my knowledge, after being abysmally south (along with the WRF).

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eugene is the new sweet spot. 

I was just thinking today how weird it is how much snow they have gotten in recent years.  These things always even out eventually.  It's not like we didn't get snow here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Guest Sounder

It has been trending north to my knowledge, after being abysmally south (along with the WRF).

You referred to a single run of a single model. It could have jumped 100 miles north over its previous run, but it wouldn't make it a trend. To say something is "trending" implies more than one data point.

• Like 1

You referred to a single run of a single model. It could have jumped 100 miles north over its previous run, but it wouldn't make it a trend. To say something is "trending" implies more than one data point.

Sorry for not using correct terminology. Just trying to find some silver lining here.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

The new GFS run gets us into a mild day / cold night pattern in early March. At least it stays solidly cold through February.  That was the goal.  Going to be a lot of records set this month for lack of 50 degree days in Feb.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I now want it to go far enough south that the scud clouds don’t come up and mess with my lows.

Yup.  We need to get it cold!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Jesus christ give the kid a break. For 16 years old I'd say he's doing a pretty good job of following along.

I turned 16 during the 1992/93 winter season. It was a good thing this forum or the internet in current from wasn’t around...I would have been a nutcase...worse than I am now. I agree, everyone needs to cool down on K12. Side note, I took my drivers test in my dads 1989 S10 Blazer 4wd in the snow! And I figured out what my 1975 El Camino could and could not do in the snow that winter!
  • Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I turned 16 during the 1992/93 winter season. It was a good thing this forum or the internet in current from wasn’t around...I would have been a nutcase...worse than I am now. I agree, everyone needs to cool down on K12. Side note, I took my drivers test in my dads 1989 S10 Blazer 4wd in the snow! And I figured out what my 1975 El Camino could and could not do in the snow that winter!

I was also 16 during that time, learning how to bridge my amplifier in my 1971 Ranchero so I could blast my Pantera for all to hear!
  • Like 1

My driving test was in a 67 chevelle with a 396 big block and a 4 speed! Got a 96% on driving.
  • Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Jesus christ give the kid a break. For 16 years old I'd say he's doing a pretty good job of following along.

Agree, it's just a forum.

• Like 1

Hope you get some!

Ha, clever... ;)

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I was 16, learning how to bridge my amplifier in my 1971 Ranchero so I could blast my Pantera for all to here!

Hell yes!! My El Camino had a factory AM radio! However I did install a Kenwood cassette deck and blasted some Metallica “And Justice For All” for the winter of 93/94!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The 00Z GFS and FV3 are basically dry for western WA for the next 10 day other than some dribs and drabs of precip on a couple days.

GFS is basically dry until 324 hours.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Side note... the ECMWF on Friday morning showed about 6-8 inches of snow for my area over the weekend.   That did not even come close to happening.   And in fact... the existing snow cover melted down more.

It does not do well with marginal temp situations... it assumes everything is sticking and accumulating but that is rarely the case.    It was in the low 40s each day here and did not go below freezing at all except for about 2 hours on Friday afternoon when it was 31 in a c-zone and then was up to 36 by 10 p.m.

Something to keep in mind when we see those incredible ECMWF snowfall total maps covering many days.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**