March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

I'm not sure I'm understanding what point you're trying to make with me? I did not take the ECMWF snow map literally. There is obviously no way PDX will get a widespread 3 inches if we're relying on 34-35 degree precip in the afternoon...

He is just being a sarcastic little baby. Don't worry about it. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure I'm understanding what point you're trying to make with me? I did not take the ECMWF snow map literally. There is obviously no way PDX will get a widespread 3 inches if we're relying on 34-35 degree precip in the afternoon...

I am not making any point with you... it was related to the comment from Jared.   And you are someone who looks at all the parameters and you would want to know... which is why I also show the temp data.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Does anyone think king county will get legit 1 to 2 inches of snow tommrow or is this so borderline? During the day i am not sure it will stick

Thursday night into Friday morning seems more likely.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Adding to the microclimate conversation

When I lived in Troutdale just north of Mount Hood Community College it would be raining on us while down at the base of the hill in the city of Troutdale it would still be freezing rain! The outflow of the Gorge was just enough to keep them in the icebox’s while we were under a south wind and 41 degrees. It was a crazy sharp line of two different air masses! Fascinating

Map added for visual fun

Thanks for the visual, I know what area well. I would always go fishing at the MHCC Pond when I was younger with friends, then we'd eat at the Dairy Queen nearby. I would always bike around that area too and take the roads to the Sandy River. It's a beautiful area with all those hills close to the mouth of the Gorge. Makes it very picturesque!

• Like 1

Snowstorms at 35 degrees are very common. 

If you get moderate to heavy precip (no guarantee with this obviously) with evaporative cooling, it's pretty common for temps to drop from mid/upper 30s to low 30s quickly and allow for snow to accumulate.

I wouldn't take the Euro temps during precip at face value any more than I would the snow amounts. It's not showing every hour for every shower at every location. Temps are not static like that, it depends on conditions.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

If you get moderate to heavy precip (no guarantee with this obviously) with evaporative cooling, it's pretty common for temps to drop from mid/upper 30s to low 30s quickly and allow for snow to accumulate.

I wouldn't take the Euro temps during precip at face value any more than I would the snow amounts. It's not showing every hour for every shower at every location. Temps are not static like that, it depends on conditions.

Definitely.

I think we could see things drop to 32-33 during the heavier thunderstorms.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

:lol:

Take it easy, Timzy. That's Jesse's line.

My point was just that even getting snow chances like this in March is pretty rare.

Don’t drag me into this. Although in the case of last night it definitely applied. Sometimes he needs to. I guess we can all hold our breath in the mean time. :)

Currently 37 degrees on top of my.constitution just hiked to the top. Nearly 3ft of snow at the summit. Took many pictures one of the most beautiful sights I’ve ever seen. Gotta go though gonna enjoy it.

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

FWIW... I have no idea if its correct.   It just model data from the Europeans.    

5-10 day mean...

eps-z500a-5d-noram-41.png

10-15 day mean...

eps-z500a-5d-noram-61.png

:lol:

Take it easy, Timzy. That's Jesse's line. 

My point was just that even getting snow chances like this in March is pretty rare.

Great.

People still want lots of details when it comes to snow... at any time of the year.    Temperature is a pretty important parameter.   ;)

10-15 mean looks kind of like a milder, wetter pattern.

It does.   

Looks like some sort of pattern change at least.  

Guest Sounder

There are some fountains along Mill Plan Blvd in east Vancouver that had significant ice on them this morning...and still do in the middle of the day. Pretty crazy.

WOW

18z GFS looks a bit faster and a hair stronger with the low. Soundings show 37F and moderate rain tomorrow afternoon. Snowstorm!

Satellite definitely shows the southern energy moving north ahead of schedule and looks like the northern energy my be as well. I called things occurring early last night, been that way for a month.

• Like 1

Satellite definitely shows the southern energy moving north ahead of schedule and looks like the northern energy my be as well. I called things occurring early last night, been that way for a month.

.75!!!!!!!!!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.