September 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Requiem

Maybe Tim could look up the verification scores, I’m pretty sure weatherbell has them. Last I saw, the euro was still ahead on large scale medium range 500mb patterns.

I don't know which model is leading the way overall. But I know for sure that for the last 3 months... the model showing the least amount of ridging in the PNW is the one that will end up more right.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

ECMWF seasonal forecast. Decent out here but not so great for you guys. Looks like best shot is Dec/Jan but focused up in the Puget Sound lowlands.

November

ec_nov_snow.png?format=2500w

December

ec_dec_snow.png?format=2500w

January

ec_jan_snow.png?format=2500w

February

ec_feb_snow.png?format=2500w

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I don't know which model is leading the way overall. But I know for sure that for the last 3 months... the model showing the least amount of ridging in the PNW is the one that will end up more right.

Yea I read a few of the posts regarding this conclusion yesterday. Thought maybe we could add some actual data to the discussion
  • Like 1

Right now they're pretty similar for days 6-10. Not extremely ridgy or troughy overall.

A forum for the end of the world.

The 0z Euro was less troughy. GFS was less ridgy. Hard to say which one is "leading the way" at this point.

Easy there. It’s Sep 15th, not Nov 15th.

ECMWF seasonal forecast. Decent out here but not so great for you guys. Looks like best shot is Dec/Jan but focused up in the Puget Sound lowlands.

November

December

January

February

I’ve never seen those maps verify at this range. They had the same prediction for the PNW this time last year.

Easy there. It’s Sep 15th, not Nov 15th.

...It's Sept 17th.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I’ve never seen those maps verify at this range. They had the same prediction for the PNW this time last year.

Did they? I would be curious to see last years if you have them.

Obviously not a great predictor, but they can still be good to see possible large scale seasonal patterns and where the mean trough positions might set up.

Cold Season 2023/24:

November

December

January

February

I certainly won't be happy if the region has the same snowfall disparity as last year in terms of Puget Sound getting snow. But these maps aren't too accurate this far out anyways, so...

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

November

December

January

February

The December and January maps have tons of potential. Always good to see a cold and snow covered Columbia River Basin. Based on the maps alone, it's probably thinking a backdoor Arctic Blast(s). I feel we might see an ice storm or two here this winter. Won't take much of a shift for everyone west of the Cascades to get high snow anomalies.

• Like 2

...It's Sept 17th.

Haha.

My brain is completely fried. Not sure I’ll make it the next two months without stroking out.

Did they? I would be curious to see last years if you have them.

Obviously not a great predictor, but they can still be good to see possible large scale seasonal patterns and where the mean trough positions might set up.

Possibly, but that assumes the model is correct. Last September, the model was forecasting a warm west/cold east winter, and the opposite verified.

Perhaps it was on track until the SSW. Same with the previous winter. But intraseasonal variability is an aspect of every winter..so there’s always going to be something.

Possibly, but that assumes the model is correct. Last September, the model was forecasting a warm west/cold east winter, and the opposite verified.

Perhaps it was on track until the SSW. Same with the previous winter. But intraseasonal variability is an aspect of every winter..so there’s always going to be something.

The above maps are snowfall anomalies though, not temps. The ECMWF seasonal is predicting a lot of NPAC blocking leading to below average temps in the NW while being rather dry which is not surprising given the blocking it's predicting.

At this point, I feel like it's a decent forecast for the NW. Below average temps with below average precip. Of course in the PNW lowlands it only takes a couple storms to turn a cold, dry winter into a great, snowy one. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Snowfall anomaly maps seem particularly useless for the PNW lowlands. 1 hard hitting overrunning event could get a lot of places to average on the season in 1 6-12 hour event. It could be followed by a quick warm up and 12 hours later the snow would be all gone.

• Like 3

The above maps are snowfall anomalies though, not temps. The ECMWF seasonal is predicting a lot of NPAC blocking leading to below average temps in the NW while being rather dry which is not surprising given the blocking it's predicting.

At this point, I feel like it's a decent forecast for the NW. Below average temps with below average precip. Of course in the PNW it only takes a couple storms to turn a cold, dry winter into a great, snowy one.

Well I’m saying the forecast last winter was warm/dry. The problem is the resolution of those maps is low/smoothed over by this vendor, and it’s an large ensemble.

A cold/dry winter could easily feature above normal snowfall in the lowlands but a crappy snowpack in the mountains, and the latter is what the ensemble would be picking up on because it would be the stronger/more consistent signal throughout the ensemble mean, which is then smoothed over by this vendor (rather inappropriately in some places, I might add).

• Like 2

Little break in the activity currently. 0.17” so far since 6:30am, 55 outside. Up to 1.56” for the month which is officially the wettest September since 2014, when we had 2.41”.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Well I’m saying the forecast last winter was warm/dry. The problem is the resolution of those maps is low/smoothed over by this vendor, and it’s an large ensemble.

A cold/dry winter could easily feature above normal snowfall in the lowlands but a crappy snowpack in the mountains, and the latter is what the ensemble would be picking up on because it would be the stronger/more consistent signal throughout the ensemble mean, which is then smoothed over by this vendor (rather inappropriately in some places, I might add).

Then it did a pretty good job overall IMO. That SSW event was the only thing that "saved" the PNW lowlands with its late Feb heroics. 

I agree with you on the rest of this and the smoothing factor. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

. Our winter was overall warm and dry outside of February but pretty close to normal. I think the long range maps were fairly accurate.
  • Like 1

Snowfall anomaly maps seem particularly useless for the PNW lowlands. 1 hard hitting overrunning event could get a lot of places to average on the season in 1 6-12 hour event. It could be followed by a quick warm up and 12 hours later the snow would be all gone.

Yeah, was thinking the same thing.

Uh, yeah...that’s a lot of subsidence over the Indo-Pacific. It’s an intraseasonal state (or the amplification of a background state by such) but this might be enough to put the kibosh on any -ENSO attempt in the long run, even with future propagation. Should see westerlies cranking over much of the tropical Pacific for the next 2 weeks at least, following the first WWB last week/weekend.

xq9EGpK.jpg

• Like 1

PDX record highest average low in September is 56.7°F set in 2013.

So far, this month is at 60.4°F.

Well it led to good things later on. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

This front/rainfall has been extremely underwhelming today. Just around 0.10" most places in NW Oregon. 

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.