October 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

This has always been a pet theory of mine.

Yeah, the universe seems to love balance and cyclicality.

Spheres, rotation, galaxies, like charges repel/opposite charges attract, the cycle of life, action/reaction, light/dark, yin/yang, etc.

• Like 2

The ensemble mean for the cold trough next week continues to get colder.  The 850mb temp mean is now -3 for Seattle.  Should be some nippy min temps this weekend also.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I would be cool with a November 1985, 96, 2006, 2010 (I think it was) just to name a few.

Not to mention ones like 1896 and 1955.  I wish we had more data available on 1896.  It was pretty spectacular in Downtown Seattle so one can only imagine what the outlying areas might have been like.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

If we can get an Arctic Blast a few days before December then that would be okay. Thanksgiving is on November 28 this year but that's the earliest I would be okay with.

Anyone on here would have been fine with 1985, at least in the Seattle area.  In spite of being November it remains the best month I have seen here.  Some places had 12 consecutive max temps of freezing or below and pretty much everywhere had 10 out of 12.  Two major snowstorms in there and snow on the ground for two straight weeks.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah I hope the hammer doesn’t drop too early. Save the cold and snow for December.

Cold in October with no El Nino gives me good hope for December / January.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Not to mention ones like 1896 and 1955.  I wish we had more data available on 1896.  It was pretty spectacular in Downtown Seattle so one can only imagine what the outlying areas might have been like.

15" depth and -5F minimum in Grand Mound. They averaged 34.6 on the month. 

Anyone on here would have been fine with 1985, at least in the Seattle area. In spite of being November it remains the best month I have seen here. Some places had 12 consecutive max temps of freezing or below and pretty much everywhere had 10 out of 12. Two major snowstorms in there and snow on the ground for two straight weeks.

1985-86 was great regionally.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Cold in October with no El Nino gives me good hope for December / January.

I dunno man, there’s a healthy downwelling OKW present now, which was triggered by the ongoing +IOD/MC subsidence regime in the tropics.

wkxzteq_anm.gif

• Like 1

I dunno man, there’s a healthy downwelling OKW present now, which was triggered by the ongoing +IOD/MC subsidence regime in the tropics.

wkxzteq_anm.gif

Well at least we will always have the great September Arctic Blast to look fondly back at.

This winter is over, folks.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

wkxzteq_anm.gif

Phil says I'm to dumb to understand the acronymns. So, I'm going to assume this means good things because Phil predicts an epic winter every year.

Phil says I'm to dumb to understand the acronymns. So, I'm going to assume this means good things because Phil predicts an epic winter every year.

Phil says red is bad. No snow for us.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

15" depth and -5F minimum in Grand Mound. They averaged 34.6 on the month. 

Wowzers!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I still think Phil is going out on a huge limb for ENSO this winter.  It would be unprecedented in the modern era to have a Nino this winter given the context.  Even if something does emerge it's going to a bit down the road as there is still cold subsurface water to work its way through the system.  We'll be fine.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Liking the looks of the ECMWF for week two much more than the GFS right now.  No sign of a GOA low at least through day 10.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Meanwhile the solar x-ray flux has dropped even lower over the past few day indicating the sun is going into an even deeper sleep.  This is another reason I'm highly skeptical about any significant warm ENSO even this winter.  We almost never get El Nino this deep into a solar minimum with the numbers still dropping.  Back to back warm ENSO years in a deep solar min like this would be unheard of at least in the last century.  From a statistical viewpoint a Nino is exceedingly unlikely this winter, but who knows for sure I guess.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Guest daniel1

I still think Phil is going out on a huge limb for ENSO this winter. It would be unprecedented in the modern era to have a Nino this winter given the context. Even if something does emerge it's going to a bit down the road as there is still cold subsurface water to work its way through the system. We'll be fine.

Look at you panicking lol.

Gfs euro and EPS all don’t look too exciting days 5-10. Have all converged on the trough early next week but after that remains to be seen.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I still think Phil is going out on a huge limb for ENSO this winter. It would be unprecedented in the modern era to have a Nino this winter given the context. Even if something does emerge it's going to a bit down the road as there is still cold subsurface water to work its way through the system. We'll be fine.

I think you’ll be fine irrespective of whether this ends up as a weak niño or warm neutral. You did great last year with an El Niño (in February, nonetheless..talk about a climo-buster).

ENSO alone (especially weak ENSO) won’t make or break your winter. But an over-strong/stacked PV (hence a warm/shallow tropical tropopause and weak MJO) definitely could, if it were to happen.

• Like 3