Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

Look like hawkstwelve decides to take the night off. Can't blame him. Thinking about doing the same. This one might sting a little due to the nature of the precipitation. 

Since Sunday it's about 1" for me, give or take. Congrats to the jackpot winners! 

Did you miss out the last few days as well?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Look like hawkstwelve decides to take the night off. Can't blame him. Thinking about doing the same. This one might sting a little due to the nature of the precipitation. 

Since Sunday it's about 1" for me, give or take. Congrats to the jackpot winners!

Wait till that activity crosses the Sound

Did you miss out the last few days as well?

Oh yeah, I'm directly south of I-90 so I missed out big time last couple days. The stuff that accumulated on the and rooftops can't even hold on even though it has been pretty chilly. Cars that hasn't been moved do have a nice coating on them but that's it!  :) 

• Like 1

Beautiful clear evening. 26 with a west wind around 10mph. Just went out and took care of the animals with my daughter. She was loving it. 

Great event up north for a lot of people. Even if this ends up being one of our off years is great to see a localized event like this. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Are you worried that band is setting up a tad too far south? Looking at the radar loop concerns me a bit

Not too concerned based on the current returns, follow the path of the onshore flow and the current location is almost as good as it gets. It's being deflected slightly north as it passes the Olympics as well. It'll be interesting to see if some of the heavier convective stuff closer to the center of that make it here, it seems roughly on track.

Is it the strong east winds that are wiping out the snow in NE Gig Harbor area? Showed heavy band and all we're getting is a few tiny flakes.

There is no east wind yet.

Wind is out the south. It switches to east by early morning after this band lifts into Canada. ECMWF showed that it we back down into the upper 20s in Seattle by morning with a ESE wind.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Is it the strong east winds that are wiping out the snow in NE Gig Harbor area?  Showed heavy band and all we're getting is a few tiny flakes.

There is no east wind yet... the wind is out of the south.   SEA is 34 degress with S12.   

ECMWF showed that the east wind surfaces early tomorrow morning once that band lifts into Canada.   It also showed temps falling back into the upper 20s in Seattle by morning with an ESE wind.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks like everyone in Seattle north of I-90 is about to be in luck with those returns finally inching across the sound. Probably gonna be a sharp North/South cutoff line right around downtown, going on an angle to the NE toward Kirkland, just like the models were suggesting earlier.

• Like 1

Looks like everyone in Seattle north of I-90 is about to be in luck with those returns finally inching across the sound. Probably gonna be a sharp North/South cutoff line right around downtown, going on an angle to the NE toward Kirkland, just like the models were suggesting earlier.

Agreed. How are you, Sounder?

• Like 1
  • scream 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You truly are a written word expert on everything! Funny that you only bring this up now and didn’t drop a dime on these guys to less learned coaches, managers, players, scouts, analysts, video coordinators, ushers, season ticket holders, the ghost of Ty Cobb etc. sooner. You could have probably got your picture in the paper.

No doubt focusing on a zone and having knowledge of pitch selection helps immensely. That’s why it’s cheating. I just think you’re Philling it up as to your after-the-fact eagle eye which supposedly picked this up years ago while the rest of the baseball world needed boots on the ground information to unearth it.

What on God’s green earth are you bloviating about? Signs are stolen via “normal” methods (without technology) all the time and its obvious. What made this different is it’d happen with nobody on base..and FWIW people have been discussing it for at least 4 years.

And I’m sure you know that “pitch selection” is largely guesswork unless you already know what’s coming, correct? So if the hitter is right on top of every pitch, irrespective of speed/break/spin rate/delivery mode, either you’re tipping pitches, or signs are being stolen. Or you just suck that prolifically and should retire.

Quit being a dunderhead.

What on God’s green earth are you bloviating about? Signs are stolen via “normal” methods (without technology) all the time and its obvious. What made this different is it’d happen with nobody on base and people have been discussing it for at least 4 years.

And I’m sure you know that “pitch selection” is largely guesswork unless you already know what’s coming, correct? So if the hitter is right on top of every pitch, irrespective of speed/break/spin rate/delivery mode, either you’re tipping pitches, or signs are being stolen. Or you just suck that prolifically and should retire.

Quit being a dunderhead.

Hockey > Baseball

Also cheating is bad

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

What are the odds that three stud former Cy Young winning pitchers succumb to “tipping pitches” (AAA level mistake) within a two week span against the same team? Use your head, Matt. #OccamsRazor

• Like 1

What on God’s green earth are you bloviating about? Signs are stolen via “normal” methods (without technology) all the time and its obvious. What made this different is it’d happen with nobody on base..and FWIW people have been discussing it for at least 4 years.

Quit being a dunderhead.

You didn't know they cheated exactly the way they cheated, the same as I didn't know Pete Rose bet on the game before anyone else.

You didn't know they cheated exactly the way they cheated.

I didn’t say I did. Wtf? I just said I was suspicious.

Not that hard to read English if you understand it.

I mean the plus side of no snow in Portland is no need to worry about the melting snow on top of rain ‍♂

I'd take the melting snow on top of rain any day, man  :D

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

All being well, we should have our first freeze since Dec 28 tonight.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

CFS has also been pretty insistent on getting the Pacific jet going for about a week at the beginning of February. Phil, what do you think?

AAM will be rising massively late this month so it wouldn’t be difficult for even a modest +EAMT to get it going. But if might be more of the Aleutian low/+PNA variety.

If/when it retracts, it opens the door to another round of blocking.