June 2023 Observations & Discussions

westMJim

The dry weather continues. Yesterday had 86% of possible sunshine and the official H/L at Grand Rapids was 81/52 there were 2 Cooling Degree Days. The overnight low here in MBY was a cool 52 the current temperature is 56 with clear skies. For today the average H/L is 80/59 the record high of 96 was set in 1987 and 1994 the record low of 43 was set in 1947. The record rain fall amount of 2.08” fell in 2014.

This week looks to be warm and dry with highs in the upper 80’s to the low 90’s and lows in the lows mainly in the low 60’s there may be a few upper 50’s tossed in there. While very warm with very low DP’s it should not be all that bad but with the high sun angle it could get hot in the sun.

• Like 2

I received 0.25 from the weakening storms last night.  I'm happy with that as it filled my rain barrel.  We could have easily gotten nothing.  Models suggest another band of scattered storms may pop around here this afternoon.

• Like 4

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

7 hours ago, Andie said:

Looks like Clinton in Oklahoma is getting my rain!!

Our storms went around us. Some nice air out of it but got skunked on the rain.

250261E2-14EC-4661-A863-A3A122FE9AA8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Checking into the severe wx reports, it appears @OKwx2k4 got hail and wind out of that line of storms... @Clinton is up in W MO area.... 

image.png

@Black Hole, overnight storms are the worst...that line eventually made it up to Branson around 3:30am and had some loud claps our rolling thunder.  Woke me up!  Glad your safe and have power...No Power in a hot and humid airmass is NOT fun.

Currently camping at Truman Lake where we had a nice line of storms moved in around 5am. Some gusty winds and heavy rain, looks like some nice rainfall totals towards my place.  I'll report totals when I get home this afternoon. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Beautiful, look at those 5 days in a row of t'storms coming. 🤪

2023-06-18 09_36_20-Ashland, KY 10-Day Weather Forecast _ Weather Underground.png

• Like 4

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 18
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Our chilly June continues as 14 of our first 17 days have been below normal. Today looks like a near normal high of 80 degrees with slightly above temps tomorrow. But back below normal for much of the rest of the upcoming work week. Rain chances look slim with only a chance on Tuesday.
Records for today: High 97 (1957) / Low 44 (1986) / Rain 2.70" (2013)
image.png.27f2dfbfff8cc50c1d565654a8dd3fa8.png
  • Like 1

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

2 hours ago, Clinton said:

Currently camping at Truman Lake where we had a nice line of storms moved in around 5am. Some gusty winds and heavy rain, looks like some nice rainfall totals towards my place.  I'll report totals when I get home this afternoon. 

I was thinking of Clint, our Okla member. My bad. 

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

3 hours ago, Clinton said:

I’m On I-44 heading to Chitown…the crops don’t look that bad here in S/C MO just east of Springfield.  It was very green and lush in Branson.  Im really curious how S IL will look like in about 3 hours.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

I received 0.25 from the weakening storms last night.  I'm happy with that as it filled my rain barrel.  We could have easily gotten nothing.  Models suggest another band of scattered storms may pop around here this afternoon.

I had 0.4” in my gauge this morning. Which is basically the only measurable rain I’ve seen in a month. We had a couple cells drop a few hundredths in the last month. But that’s been all. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

Looks torrential.

@OmahaSnowFan hasn't visited since April 12.

It was fun driving through it…viz down to  a few feet at times…

I’m north of Springfield and it’s dry with burnt grass…walked on the grass at the Rest Area and it was hard as a rock.

I got another 0.35" from a nice storm this afternoon, boosting my daily total to 0.60".  There is a band of 1.00-1.50" just west of me.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I am pea green over that rain.  
We’re at 96. 42% humidity

100 forecast for tomorrow.  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

14 hours ago, Tom said:

Checking into the severe wx reports, it appears @OKwx2k4 got hail and wind out of that line of storms... @Clinton is up in W MO area.... 

image.png

@Black Hole, overnight storms are the worst...that line eventually made it up to Branson around 3:30am and had some loud claps our rolling thunder.  Woke me up!  Glad your safe and have power...No Power in a hot and humid airmass is NOT fun.

Yeah. I picked up some hail and damaging winds. Lots of trees damaged. Some blown over completely. Was a wild night.

• Like 5

Driving in for my shift tonight power was mostly restored out to 2-3 miles from the office but it was all dark after that. Looking out the window here its as dark as last night so probably still several days before power is restored for most. A heat advisory was issued based on impacts for all those without power. 

Lucky for me, my house was far enough south it escaped the worst and kept power. 

• Like 6

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

It looks pretty quiet for a while now for my part of OK. Mostly just hot and humid for the foreseeable future with occasional low end storm chances. 

• Like 2

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Currently 76 with 86% humidity. 
We’ll top out at 100*. This may be our first in a string.   

The warm and dry conditions continue. The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 84/52 there was no rain fall and the sun was out 89% of the possible time. There were 3 Cooling Degree Days. The overnight low here in MBY was 59 the current temperature is now 66 and clear. For today the average H/L is 81/59 the record high of 98 was set in 1953 and the record low of 45 was set in 1926 and 1945 the record rain fall amount of 3.15” fell in 2009.

The week ahead looks to remain warm and mostly dry with highs in the mid to upper 80’s then falling to the lower 80’s there is a chance of some showers and thunderstorms over the weekend

• Like 1

Back in the saddle after a long road trip...I finally got some good quality sleep in my own bed.  The weather here is just wonderful with comfy DP's and a temp at 67F.  Heading up into the upper 80's and no 90's over the next week.  I'll take it.  Daily winds off the lake are certainly keeping us from torching higher from what I can see.  I have a lot of work to do around the house and errands to run so I'll try to chime in on here in the early mornings.

• Like 5

Morning lows today were not too far from normal (near 60) so with highs today reaching the mid-80's today could be our first above normal temperature day in 8 days. How chilly has this spring been? Well since a pattern change on April 24th a whopping 75% of days or 42 of the last 56 days have averaged below normal! In looking ahead after today we slip back to below normal for the remainder of this week. In fact I can see no sustained above normal temps at least through the first week of July. It is likely we will finish with our 2nd straight below normal month - the first back to back months with below normal temps since last September and October. Rain chances look to increase by later this week with the best chance coming on Saturday.
Records for today: High 96 (1905) / Low 42 (1956) / Rain 1.84" (1996)
image.png.762f5dbf495ba93e77bacc9948251632.png

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

They’re now giving north Texas a chance of rain this afternoon later.  
5-7pm are our best chances.   
We’ve heard this so many times most people just shrug and go on.  
90* at noon. Feels like 101 with 50%  humidity calculated in.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Tom said:

Corn looks great down in S IL with some up to shoulder height…other farms about waist high…

It should look good down there because they had extremely wet weather earlier this spring, and recently my brother who lives near Carbondale said they had around an inch or more. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

From the Eric Snodgrass video, here is the next 7 days of potential rainfall from the WPC. IMG_1382.thumb.png.2f28dcb6d34f5e394e676caa59ef7f11.png

NWS mentioning that we might miss out on decent moisture this upcoming weekend (we will most likely be watching showers and storms literally fade into nothing as they move east out of Central Nebraska each morning, which is a surprise… not haha). At this point the current drought is going to really intensify around here the next few weeks, heading into our typically driest months of the year… I don’t foresee anything that will stop it at this point.

• Sad 3

21 hours ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

Well Im im total shock! Im in WV, but here my rain gage in Iowa! A spoke came from se out of Missouri  and nailed my land! .96 all evidently  coming this mid day cell.

Resized_20230618_150807.jpeg

Screenshot_20230618_133942_RadarScope.jpg

Awesome. I noticed that storm down near your area yesterday I was hoping it would hit your place. That's more than I had this month. I like your rain gauge and was wondering if you're a COCORAHS reporter? Since you're not at home do you have a family member or someone recording your rainfall? 

I kind of got screwed again yesterday afternoon as heavy thunderstorms passed to my west by a few miles. Only 0.08" more for a total of 0.51". Radar estimates up to around 2" total 6 miles west of me. The rain soaked only about 2" into the soil here with very dry soil below that. It probably won't help the crops too much, but at least the garden and flower beds, which I often water, greatly benefited. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bryan1117 said:

NWS mentioning that we might miss out on decent moisture this upcoming weekend (we will most likely be watching showers and storms literally fade into nothing as they move east out of Central Nebraska each morning, which is a surprise… not haha). At this point the current drought is going to really intensify around here the next few weeks, heading into our typically driest months of the year… I don’t foresee anything that will stop it at this point.

I live out in Gretna and have seen .4" in the last month and a half. I didnt think it could get worse but here we are. Getting missed almost every time is frustrating

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Stormy said:

Awesome. I noticed that storm down near your area yesterday I was hoping it would hit your place. That's more than I had this month. I like your rain gauge and was wondering if you're a COCORAHS reporter? Since you're not at home do you have a family member or someone recording your rainfall? 

I kind of got screwed again yesterday afternoon as heavy thunderstorms passed to my west by a few miles. Only 0.08" more for a total of 0.51". Radar estimates up to around 2" total 6 miles west of me. The rain soaked only about 2" into the soil here with very dry soil below that. It probably won't help the crops too much, but at least the garden and flower beds, which I often water, greatly benefited. 

Yes I am the only cocorahs  in wapello  county. I have some big news coming soon Im getting  very close to becoming  the official  location  for the nws (coop observer)- Ottumwa  station nws reps should  be coming to my property  soon to  scope out where to put the equipment.   The location  is much better than the OTM airport  since its 7 miles  from downtown. Im just off the ene edge of city and  less than 2 miles from the long time location  on the Des River.  Ive noticed  the data for our area to be sorely  lacking with the automated  equip, like melting winter  precip  etc. My son can help me out since  he  is a weather  hobbyists  as well. If not a employee  can do it for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Excited 1

20 minutes ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

Yes I am the only cocorahs  in wapello  county. I have some big news coming soon Im getting  very close to becoming  the official  location  for the nws Ottumwa  station. Reps should  be coming to my property  soon to  scope out where to put the equipment.   The location  is much better than the OTM airport  since its 7 miles  from downtown. Im just off the ene edge of city and  less than 2 miles from the long time location  on the Des River.  Ive noticed  the data for our area to be sorely  lacking with the automated  equip, like melting winter  precip  etc. My son can help me out since  he  is a weather  hobbyists  as well. If not a employee  can do it for me.

I see. That's great! So how did it come about that they want to, or chose your place? 

I've thought about reporting for COCORAHS since I have 2 of those gauges, and have been recording precipitation consistently since January 1990. But there are several reporters in my area and I don't like the idea of bringing in a gauge to melt snow or measure rainfall (over 1") while it's still precipitating. Plus I used to leave for work at various times before reporting time though that's rarely the case anymore. Guess I'm too particular! 

• Like 2