June 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Wow, Bud!  I put my gauge out when cells started popping just south, but nothing made it up here.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Just thinking while I look at the hazy dusty sky today, I guess the Sahara helped fertilize parts of the Ozarks as well. Pretty neat, but you can definitely see and know youre breathing dust after a couple hours.

I've read a few obs from the 60s and late 70s here reporting haze in June and July. I'd imagine I know another possibility as to why now.

I'm surprised nobody was talking about the line of severe storms that ripped through S NE last night.  After looking at the radar loop, there was a rather large bowed line that tracked towards LNK.  Seems to me a lot of you in NE got some beneficial rains overnight.

Models are trending dry around here for the next 7+ days.  They have a low forming over Missouri or Illinois, which then drifts south into the southeast US.  That would stick us in a dry, boring pattern.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Well, so much for that "one off" run that showed comfy temps around the GL's from the Euro the other night.  Last night's Euro showing blazin' heat for much of the GL's region for the 4th of July weekend, esp the lower peninsula where temps top out in the upper 90's!  The saving grace will be the relatively drier air with DP's in the 60's rather than 70's.

1.png

2.png

Just a quick update on what's happening in the equatorial PAC, the recent westerly burst warmed temps in the central PAC, while the eastern PAC SST's continue to stay quite cold.

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

Taking a look at the subsurface anomalies, we can see a general trend here as the coldest waters are staying put over the eastern central PAC closer to South America.  IF, your thinking about next Winter, this could be a good sign for a better chance of a colder eastern CONUS winter.

wkxzteq_anm.gif

Well, so much for that "one off" run that showed comfy temps around the GL's from the Euro the other night. Last night's Euro showing blazin' heat for much of the GL's region for the 4th of July weekend, esp the lower peninsula where temps top out in the upper 90's! The saving grace will be the relatively drier air with DP's in the 60's rather than 70's.

Looks like a good old fashioned Omega block. Here in Michigan I’ll take a mini-drought right now. Lakes need to drop a bit(well a lot) Our beaches are disappearing!

July thread has been posted...

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php/topic/2209-july-2020-observations-and-discussion/

Looks like a good old fashioned Omega block. Here in Michigan I’ll take a mini-drought right now. Lakes need to drop a bit(well a lot) Our beaches are disappearing!

I agree!  It seems every year I see Skilling post a stat that Lake Michigan is 6" or 7" higher than a year ago...I mean, at this rate, we'll see the water levels reaching the streets of Lake Shore Drive in a few years!  I can't imagine what the beach front property owners are thinking who are likely very anxious about these rising water levels.  

Nothing but sunshine until further notice in my extended w temps approaching near 90F everyday starting Wed (which means, a incoming heatwave). Loads of sunshine and NO STORMS in sight for the foreseeable future.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Attm, its 77F w tons of sunshine.

Dont forget to check out Venus which will be visible in the eastern sky by dawn on Monday. Weather will certainly be permitted.

I'm surprised nobody was talking about the line of severe storms that ripped through S NE last night. After looking at the radar loop, there was a rather large bowed line that tracked towards LNK. Seems to me a lot of you in NE got some beneficial rains overnight.

Picked up about a quarter inch of rain as my area got clipped by the northern part of the line. The strongest storms were once again off to the south. It was nice to get a quick thundershower here but we need a lot more moisture than what we got this morning.

And of course, today’s severe threat and best chance of rain will be to the north and east of us.

• Like 1

Just thinking while I look at the hazy dusty sky today, I guess the Sahara helped fertilize parts of the Ozarks as well. Pretty neat, but you can definitely see and know youre breathing dust after a couple hours.

I've read a few obs from the 60s and late 70s here reporting haze in June and July. I'd imagine I know another possibility as to why now.

Hopefully, dust does not develop IMBY. Looks annoying.

• Like 1

I'm surprised nobody was talking about the line of severe storms that ripped through S NE last night. After looking at the radar loop, there was a rather large bowed line that tracked towards LNK. Seems to me a lot of you in NE got some beneficial rains overnight.

Not much around here. Hit and miss. Starting to get very dry and future forecasts just show heat. I would bet that areas that don’t have irrigation are going to start seeing stressed crops in the coming 2 weeks if the hot pattern continues. Yards in my town are struggling, even with sprinkler systems. The hot and windy last month has just sapped the moisture even after a rain. Things look like early August not late June.

• Like 2

Attm, 82F under mostly sunny skies. Been in my homeoffice all day, but from looking at my windows, it looks gorgeous outside.

Dew point of 74°F here in Galena, IL. Not pleasant.

Oppressive man, geez! Good luck w that kinda dew. :blink:

After this summer, I’m hoping for a cold and snowy winter. Next 10 days highs 92-99 and lows around 70 with minuscule rain chances. I guess that is the definition of a heat wave. Unfortunately, local forecasts say we might be over 100 at times and this may extend longer than 10 days. I will be watching for drought monitors to be expanding. Not good for the agricultural sector.

• Like 2

Well, last night was one for the ages. I think I slept about 2 hours total. I counted at least 6 different thunderstorms last night.Not sure if it’s done raining just yet with more stuff out west that might move this way. But my current total is 5.1”. Reports in the area of 6-8”.

Wow just overnight? Impressive. Radar looks active up there yet.
  • Like 2

Dry and very warm looks to be the rule for the next week or more. With light winds this week the lake shore has a good chance of being cooler than the inland areas so if you have a chance if you get too hot and you do not have AC then the lake shore may be where you want to go. So far Grand Rapids has had 83% of total possible sunshine for the month of June. I have not found a lot of information on the percentages of sunshine records, but this should be one of the most sunny June’s if not the highest sunshine here in much of west Michigan. The information I have is the average sunshine for June at Grand Rapids is 62.1% and the record is reported as 81.7% in 1963. While that may or may not be true I can say that the driest June’s at Grand Rapids were in 1988, 1959, 1984 and 1908.

• Like 2

Well, last night was one for the ages. I think I slept about 2 hours total. I counted at least 6 different thunderstorms last night.Not sure if it’s done raining just yet with more stuff out west that might move this way. But my current total is 5.1”. Reports in the area of 6-8”.

The vortex spin on radar looked fascinating....

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=comprad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=170&interval=5&year=2020&month=6&day=28&hour=17&minute=45

• Like 2

Gorgeous day today. Temp at 81F w tons of sun. Great looking week coming up.

With as gloomy and rainy as it is now it doesn’t even seem like some impressive heat will arrive by afternoon. Heat Advisory posted for the TC (criteria for the TC is slightly different than for other areas due to the UHI from 2 close cities).

Gonna be a muggy one after all that moisture. What's your total so far?

The tropics have arrived back home...

.meCIMG0284x_bigger.jpg

Tropical air has surged into northern Illinois this A.M., resulting in Chicagoland’s most humid day of 2020. 10AM Dew Points are higher in Aurora (77°), Joliet (77°), and Morris (79°), than they are in Miami (75°). #ILwx #INwx

1.jpg

• Like 1