June (July) 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Wow!

I'm not even sure I've had 5 80+ days here.  Probably after today.

only 3 80+ days so far this year. Only down to 66 tonight so it’s going to be a warm start.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

52 this morning. Lows getting warmer! (I prefer 45-48, but whatevs)

C'mon tomorrow let's get some thunderstorms!

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Low of just 60 this morning. First 60+ low of the year. It’s 65 and sunny and not even 8am. Definitely going to be atleast 80...I’m going to guess mid 80s here today.

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Definitely looks like summer looking at the gfs and the euro. No rain on either model the next 10 days besides some c-zone drizzle maybe one day. Probably will be waiting until next month to see any rain.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Almost 70F already. Gonna be a hot one!!

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Definitely looks like summer looking at the gfs and the euro. No rain on either model the next 10 days besides some c-zone drizzle maybe one day. Probably will be waiting until next month to see any rain.

At least temperatures are looking a lot more reasonable after today.

At least temperatures are looking a lot more reasonable after today.

Yeah it doesn’t look too hot at any point after today. Pretty enjoyable weather this month if we only end up with 1 or 2 possibly hot days.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Yeah it doesn’t look too hot at any point after today. Pretty enjoyable weather this month if we only end up with 1 or 2 possibly hot days.

FWIW... the EPS is showing very warm weather for most of next week.    It starts warming up again over the weekend per the last few runs.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

FWIW... the EPS is showing very warm weather for most of next week.    It starts warming up again over the weekend per the last few runs.

The last week of July and first week of August are typically our hottest days of the year.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

The last week of July and first week of August are typically our hottest days of the year.

The EPS is showing it being warmer than normal next week.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not a huge lean either way, but 500mb average isn't showing any sort of ridge over the nw.

The EPS has had a warm bias over the high terrain and West Coast all summer for some reason. The 500mb average is far more predictable.

• Like 1

Actually, given the background state, all of the models have technically had a “warm” bias over the PNW region in the long range, then trend cooler with time.

• Like 2

Actually, given the background state, all of the models have technically had a “warm” bias over the PNW region in the long range, then trend cooler with time.

Is there a "summer mode" that models run on that skews them towards a base pattern into the long term?

Not a huge lean either way, but 500mb average isn't showing any sort of ridge over the nw.

This is the 00Z EPS for Friday...

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850-anom-strea

And then for next Tuesday...

Looks like a cool down and warm up to me.     

The EPS showed this current period as being rather warm last week... but its probably just a warm bias.    Its actually colder than normal.    ;)

Still no significant heat in sight just comfortable temps. Hottest day of the month will probably be today...already 70 degrees and it’s not even 10am.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Still no significant heat in sight just comfortable temps. Hottest day of the month will probably be today...already 70 degrees and it’s not even 10am.

But there is definitely variability on the EPS... its going to cool down and then probably warm up next week again to warmer than normal.

But there is definitely variability on the EPS... its going to cool down and then probably warm up next week again to warmer than normal.

Thanks dewey ;). Lol I’m enjoying it either way this summer has been excellent so far in terms of weather.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Up to 75F. We will easily hit 90F no. 6 today.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

00z ECMWF shows a high of 101 at PDX on the 28th.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

12Z GFS shows the same variability.

86 at SEA today... only 70 on Thursday and lows 70s Friday... then back into the 80s Sunday and 90 at SEA for next Tuesday.

Snowing with frost warnings there though, right?

In four weeks, probably.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

00z ECMWF shows a high of 101 at PDX on the 28th.

Heat wave will be watered down to mid 80s up here and about 90 or so in a few days. That’s my guess.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Already up to 77 IMBY, I bought a whole house window fan over the weekend, should be Wednesday, and I will get it installed for the next round of heat next week.  Its supposed to move 3500CFM of air, if I'm doing my math right it should (in theory) pull the equivalent air volume of my house every 7 minutes.  I'm surprised more houses out here don't have attic fans, especially since most houses out here don't have A/C.  They were a staple in the south.  They only thing better than how much they cooled things off in the evening was seeing how close you could fly a paper airplane without it getting sucked up in it.  Let's just say my friend's parents found ALOOOOT if paper airplanes in their attic!   :D

I found a video of a slick variation of the attic fan that fits between the rafters, and has foam insulating blocks that automatically block the opening when not in use (I guess that answers my question about why there aren't more attic fans LOL) but it's more $$$ than my sorry furloughed a$$ can afford right now.

• Like 1

This is the 00Z EPS for Friday...

And then for next Tuesday...

Looks like a cool down and warm up to me.

The EPS showed this current period as being rather warm last week... but its probably just a warm bias. Its actually colder than normal. ;)

Well, a period of time with transient warm up/cool downs is certainly possible, but as far as I can see, there’s nothing to support sustained warmth, and if anything, a return to the relatively cool/dry summer background state looks increasingly likely to me as we transition from late July into August.

And yes, the EPS has been warm biased out there in the longer range this summer. I can link to previous forecasts relative to observations if you’d like?

12Z ECMWF shows almost an exact repeat of this past weekend for this coming weekend... after a cool down and some marine layer and even showers mainly north of Seattle in the Wed-Fri period.

Sunday looks pretty warm on this run... about the same as yesterday.

Will be kinda funny when July ends up solidly above average given all the vaginal bleeding earlier in the month.

You definitely have had a way with words lately!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Will be kinda funny when July ends up solidly above average given all the vaginal bleeding earlier in the month.

Jesse is back from vacation and overly-concerned with people's perception of the weather... even climo weather!   And using gross bodily-fluid references to make his point.    :rolleyes:

The first half of July was definitely cooler and cloudier than normal.    Hindsight is 20/20 of course... but the first few days of the month were pretty wet and cold up here and not very summer-like.   Climo can be a drag in the summer around here.  

It just makes you soooooo mad when people do not embrace crappy weather.   :lol: