July 2023 PNW Observations and Discussions

98F outside...glad to be inside.

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z EPS... makes me think of something related to three bears.   The word escapes me at the moment.   

ecmwf-ensemble-KSEA-daily_tmin_tmax-9854400.png

Goldilocks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Eastside Tacoma/Salishan, WA. Elv 263ft

Family home in Spanaway, WA. Elv 413ft

☥𓂀✡️

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

With the little matter of there being A LOT more scientific evidence for the basic physics behind a warming planet than there is for the existence of any religion’s deity or afterlife.

The problem is the built-in assumption that a warming planet is universally catastrophic. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

A forum for the end of the world.

6 minutes ago, ChrisAmunRA said:

Last year had 8

F1gm5D5aMAANh_1.jpeg

Just checked... 8 is correct through 7/20 last year.   

SEA NWS is mistaken.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

10 minutes ago, MWG said:

Welp we are in this till middle of next week.

image.png.69f866587a62ad6be92c778046c7e0c3.png

Fully expect that type of situation to happen near here soon. Complete with warm ash falling.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

The problem is the built-in assumption that a warming planet is universally catastrophic. 

Considering it is set to push the planet well outside the temperature range that has sustained human civilization so far, that seems quite a reasonable assumption.

It's called clown range for a reason.

58 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

hmmmm

The 22 last year by this date sounds inaccurate to me without even looking it up. We had a cool and wet spring last year leading up to the summer. This year has been clearly warmer and dryer, so it really doesn’t seems like it’s that close.

3 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Yes, obviously those who deny global warming is even happening at all are less incorrect than those who get the details wrong or whose style or rhetoric gets under your skin.

Debunking deniers is easy and quick, the warming is evident in all datasets (even the raw/non-homogenized data) and the contribution of CO2 is easy to demonstrate via the most elementary of radiative transfer physics. 

Alarmists do *much* more damage to public trust in climate science. They make ridiculous claims that, upon failure, leave the public justifiably skeptical of legitimate science.

Not to mention the fodder they give deniers with their failed doomsayer prophecies. Some of these people are analogous to religious zealots predicting the rapture.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cloud said:

The 22 last year by this date sounds inaccurate to me without even looking it up. We had a cool and wet spring last year leading up to the summer. This year has been clearly warmer and dryer, so it really doesn’t seems like it’s that close.

Summer started later last year, started much earlier this year. 

• Like 1

18Z GFS... still shows some rain on Monday but also warms up faster than the 12Z run.  

This might end up being a fairly decent late July rain event for NW WA coast and SW BC.

gfs-deterministic-washington-total_precip_inch-0372800.png

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

18Z GFS... still shows some rain on Monday but also warms up faster than the 12Z run.  

This might end up being a fairly decent late July rain event for NW WA coast and SW BC.

gfs-deterministic-washington-total_precip_inch-0372800.png

Lies.

• Sad 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

3 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Panty-waisted. And that's not a very gender sensitive term to use, Phil.

I think what bothers me is you can see the fear-mongering being pushed harder than ever in the media right now, whether it's an announcement that we just experienced "the world's HOTTEST day ever" (according to an unproven model, not actual temperature records), breathless social media posts galore about how Death Valley is about to set the modern day heat record (they didn't), or the silly NPR segment I cited earlier that wasn't even based in actual summer weather this year.

Anyone arguing it's just about science is overlooking a whole lot of cult-like aspects to the climate change movement.

Most of the stuff on social media is religious prophecy, not science.

New, high quality, peer reviewed research is published every week, yet almost none of it sees the light of day. The disconnect between the (vast majority of) new literature vs stuff you hear in the media is nothing short of gobsmacking.

I subscribe to many of these journals and read weather/climate literature obsessively enough that it’s probably unhealthy. Can’t count how many studies are taken wildly out of context by the same media talking heads that lecture everyone on the “dangers of misinformation”.

It is a complete and utter joke.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Debunking deniers is easy and quick, the warming is evident in all datasets (even the raw/non-homogenized data) and the contribution of CO2 is easy to demonstrate via the most elementary of radiative transfer physics. 

Alarmists do *much* more damage to public trust in climate science. They make ridiculous claims that, upon failure, leave the public justifiably skeptical of legitimate science.

Not to mention the fodder they give deniers with their failed doomsayer prophecies. Some of these people are analogous to religious zealots predicting the rapture.

Again, as if getting the details wrong is worse than getting the basic fact of existence wrong.

Sorry, this just does not make sense.

• Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, Cloud said:

It is wrong... see my previous post.   Correct number through 7/20 last year was 8.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Considering it is set to push the planet well outside the temperature range that has sustained human civilization so far, that seems quite a reasonable assumption.

The long term results are debatable. Some of the more dire early predictions certainly haven't panned out.

That being said, do you think it's unfair for people like Bastardi to use local records/events to dispute global warming, while it's very common practice to use local events/records as examples of global warming? 

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Again, as if getting the details wrong is worse than getting the basic fact of existence wrong.

Sorry, this just does not make sense.

It’s more than just getting details wrong, dude. It’s an ocean of falsehoods, of magnitudes equal to or greater than those spewed by deniers.

And the damage they do is of astronomically greater proportions.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Case in point. This is not even remotely accurate. Only have to go halfway back thru the Holocene to find temperatures and sea levels higher than today (and substantially so).

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Case in point. This is not even remotely accurate. Only have to go halfway back thru the Holocene to find temperatures and sea levels higher than today (and substantially so).

There was no human civilization around halfway back through the Holocene!

A bit out of topic but what is Jury Duty and how can I get out of it I suffer social anxiety I can't go to big gatherings I get seizures. Then with my Asperger's doing anything else not nature or weather related destroys my mind 

• Like 2

Eastside Tacoma/Salishan, WA. Elv 263ft

Family home in Spanaway, WA. Elv 413ft

☥𓂀✡️