December 2023 Weather in the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

Mid-December flowers in the garden. I’m surprised my big salvia has survived but apparently it can take a 31 F freeze. 

Strawberry flowers in December is just weird, I don’t know what to think of that.

And my earliest hellebore is close to flowering which is about a month early. 

IMG_1500.jpeg

IMG_1499.jpeg

IMG_1498.jpeg

IMG_1496.jpeg

IMG_1495.jpeg

IMG_1494.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Popcorn 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Mid-December flowers in the garden. I’m surprised my big salvia has survived but apparently it can take a 31 F freeze. 

Strawberry flowers in December is just weird, I don’t know what to think of that.

IMG_1500.jpeg

IMG_1499.jpeg

IMG_1498.jpeg

IMG_1496.jpeg

IMG_1495.jpeg

IMG_1494.jpeg

You earned a downvote from the forum censor.   This does meet the approved list of discussion topics.  ;)

• Downvote 1
  • Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

IMG_1500.jpeg

IMG_1499.jpeg

IMG_1498.jpeg

IMG_1496.jpeg

IMG_1495.jpeg

IMG_1494.jpeg

You must be in the warmest pocket on the forum. 

• Sick 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You earned a downvote from the forum censor.   This does meet the approved list of discussion topics.  ;)

I can't really decide if those are fall or spring photos though...I'll keep thinking about it.

7 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

You must be in the warmest pocket on the forum. 

For overnight temperatures I think that I am, while you are the coldest (at lest west of the Cascades). Much of Seattle runs warmer than me for high temperatures because of my proximity to Elliott Bay. I'm also in a wind sheltered location which further helps the plants when it's cold. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Phil said:

Why is PNW power infrastructure so gawdawful?

We've had significant power outages (more than an hour or 2) maybe once or twice in the 10 years I have been in my current house, and I think we had one or 2 in the house I lived in for about 10 years that is a few miles up the road.  The only reason I have a generator is because we do not have a secondary heat source.  I've only used it once when we had a major power outage during the summer, and we were about to start losing food in the fridge.  The cause of that one was charbroiled squirrel at the substation.  Needless to say it found the sweet spot for creating utter chaos and doing maximum damage to the grid for our area.  I think we were without power about 6-7 hours then.  Never been more than about 8-12 hours without power.  Of course when the Cascadia fault pops, that will all change.

If you get out in the more rural parts of the county its a completely different story, but then again, that can be said for just about every rural part of the country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Might as well be posting pics from the inside of a greenhouse. I’ll be sure to throw some deciduous saplings in the fridge in May so I can post some great fall color pics by mid June. ;)

I'll post up some march tomato starts from the basement

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RentonHill said:

Maybe some retro signal in there?

And the KINK is on for the SSW watch party

image.png.7cedc59b3f35b444b7530dc92eaf3a71.png

ecmwf-weeklies-avg-nhemi-t850_anom-1702425600-1704240000-1705363200-20.gif

ecmwf-weeklies-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-1702425600-1704240000-1705536000-20.gif

Doesn't get any better than that. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

We've had significant power outages (more than an hour or 2) maybe once or twice in the 10 years I have been in my current house, and I think we had one or 2 in the house I lived in for about 10 years that is a few miles up the road.  The only reason I have a generator is because we do not have a secondary heat source.  I've only used it once when we had a major power outage during the summer, and we were about to start losing food in the fridge.  The cause of that one was charbroiled squirrel at the substation.  Needless to say it found the sweet spot for creating utter chaos and doing maximum damage to the grid for our area.  I think we were without power about 6-7 hours then.  Never been more than about 8-12 hours without power.  Of course when the Cascadia fault pops, that will all change.

If you get out in the more rural parts of the county its a completely different story, but then again, that can be said for just about every rural part of the country.

6-7 hours has been my shortest outages here! Longest has been 4.5 days! Already had a 6 hour outage this fall with zero wind, a rotted tree probably had a squirrel jump on it just right to tip it over and take out a pole in the process. The road I am on is all underground including up to the house but we are on a grid that is mostly above ground. 
The last magical outage was on 12/30/21…27 degrees with heavy snow falling! Flashlight snow check without background light is the best! Blazed a trail from the shop to the carport where I set up the generator via my truck headlights. That was only a 20 hour outage. 
SO FUN!!! Yes I’m nuts!! And these extensive outages have been great practice and have given me a lot of information as to how best work with those challenges and what I need to improve on to keep the family comfortable and life continuing as normal as possible. Feel like I have things dialed in pretty well and we are fairly prepared for any bigger natural disaster that could sneak up on us. I worry about people that have no game plans for extended outages, etc…Especially in the winter. Some people that rarely face outages would be in for a huge surprise if we get hit with another Columbus Day equivalent monster windstorm. 

IMG_1069.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

IMG_1071.jpeg

IMG_1072.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

47F and cloudy. Looks like we should hopefully keep it under 50F. Currently at +8.4F departure for the month so far.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

23 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

IMG_0707.thumb.png.91fe630f7645511cf611f8a185fd03b2.png

How is that generated?   The 12Z ECMWF today only goes out through the morning of 12/23.   That says its 10 days from 12/13 and then says its valid for 12/25 which is day 12.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

How is that generated?   The 12Z ECMWF today only goes out through the morning of 12/23.   That says its 10 days from 12/13 and then says its valid for 12/25 which is day 12.  

Thats EPS member number 7. The eps resolution got upgraded and I bet the the chart title generator hasn’t been updated the show high res goes out to 15 days now

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Thats EPS member number 7. The eps resolution got upgraded and I bet the the chart title generator hasn’t been updated the show high res goes out to 15 days now

Ahhh... thanks.

6 hours ago, MossMan said:

6-7 hours has been my shortest outages here! Longest has been 4.5 days! Already had a 6 hour outage this fall with zero wind, a rotted tree probably had a squirrel jump on it just right to tip it over and take out a pole in the process. The road I am on is all underground including up to the house but we are on a grid that is mostly above ground. 
The last magical outage was on 12/30/21…27 degrees with heavy snow falling! Flashlight snow check without background light is the best! Blazed a trail from the shop to the carport where I set up the generator via my truck headlights. That was only a 20 hour outage. 
SO FUN!!! Yes I’m nuts!! And these extensive outages have been great practice and have given me a lot of information as to how best work with those challenges and what I need to improve on to keep the family comfortable and life continuing as normal as possible. Feel like I have things dialed in pretty well and we are fairly prepared for any bigger natural disaster that could sneak up on us. I worry about people that have no game plans for extended outages, etc…Especially in the winter. Some people that rarely face outages would be in for a huge surprise if we get hit with another Columbus Day equivalent monster windstorm. 

IMG_1069.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

IMG_1071.jpeg

IMG_1072.jpeg

IMG_6585.jpeg

• Like 1
  • lol 5
  • Sad 1
  • bongocat-test 1

12 hours ago, Phil said:

Why is PNW power infrastructure so gawdawful?

So I have a real life, truthful source answer to your question. It simply boils down to money.

The majority of the pacific northwest is rural. Despite the majority of the world seeing Seattle and Portland and British Columbia as the PNW, the fact is that the vast majority is rural. 

I am employed in the power generation and maintenance industry. Imagine routing power lines underground from the grand Coulee Dam in eastern Washington to Ocean Shores. That would take well over $100 million dollars to complete over several years in multiple phases. Another example is many outlying rural towns. The power lines are typically routed above ground (500kv) and then connected to a substation where the lines are then routed above ground in the form of power lines to the town. It's typically up to the local municipality and private companies of whether or not they decide to route the power above or below ground to the customer. However there is still a considerable amount of lines routed above ground due to geographical and topographical issues. The common (and only option most times) is digging a trench along the side of the road and burying the lines. 

Urban cities and areas like Bellevue, Seattle and much of King County here in Wa state do have underground power. That is because these places have been developing and expanding for several decades. The power infrastructure was placed underground long ago and has continually been expanded upon and tied into and upgraded over time. They've essentially built upon something that was originally placed underground at a cheap cost a long time ago. 

Another great example is where I used to live in Fruitland, wa. Roughly 50 miles due south of Colville, wa. Power lines above ground. Let me tell you... the power was out on average 10 days a month. In the summer, Turkeys were flying into the lines (i thought this was a joke until I witnessed it) and the winter it was trucks and other vehicles as well as vegetation coming in conatct with the lines and or poles. 

It's about money and resources. 

• Like 3