December 2023 Weather in the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

Meanwhile the east wind is absolutely raging east of I-205 tonight. I just had my first "WOW" gust of the season as it roared over my house and through the trees. I see the Gorge/Gap gradients continue to strengthen now with PDX-DLS over -8mb exceeding model projections. Anytime the gradient is at or above -8mb that's when the east wind really begins to blast areas east of I-205.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Meanwhile the east wind is absolutely raging east of I-205 tonight. I just had my first "WOW" gust of the season as it roared over my house and through the trees. I see the Gorge/Gap gradients continue to strengthen now with PDX-DLS over -8mb exceeding model projections. Anytime the gradient is at or above -8mb that's when the east wind really begins to blast areas east of I-205.

Yeah. Definitely the gustiest east wind night of the winter here so far too. Wind has been slamming against the back door and porch for the last few hours.

• Like 2
  • Windy 4

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

31 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Yeah. Definitely the gustiest east wind night of the winter here so far too. Wind has been slamming against the back door and porch for the last few hours.

Same here, Jesseratonin Reuptake Inhibitor. First night this winter it’s sound like a FREIGHT TRAIN rolling through the mature maples.

• Like 4

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Almost 50 at PDX. 

• Windy 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Power is out here this morning and they are saying it won't be restored until 2 p.m.    All of North Bend is down.   It's not even that windy here but maybe it was bad in the valley.   Based on what is being reported down in Portland it might have been the same up here in places lower than my area.    Before the North Bend weather site went down at 1:40 a.m. the peak gust was 34 mph down there.    We rarely have any issues with the east wind.  But given the large area that is out all the way to Snoqualmie Pass and the long restoration time it might be a transmission line issue.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

00Z EPS was basically unchanged from previous runs.   It will be interesting to see if the GFS goes back to the cut off solution or if the ECMWF/EPS start to cave today. 

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Also interesting and very strange that it was windy enough out here to knock out the power but SEA was stuck in fog all night.   Usually when the east wind is that strong out here it reaches SEA.      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Also interesting and very strange that it was windy enough out here to knock out the power but SEA was stuck in fog all night.   Usually when the east wind is that strong out here it reaches SEA.      

Why is PNW power infrastructure so gawdawful?

• Like 1
  • Storm 1
  • Troll 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Our power grid out here is really good now.    This was an unusual exception for our area.    Ever since the big outage in 2006 its been very solid.    They rebuilt all of our infrastructure out here after that windstorm.    The only time we have been out for more than a short time since then has been due to ice... and it's almost impossible to protect against ice storms.    Wind almost never causes problems here.

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

Because we have actual trees, not twigs. 
Except for my special spindly Sick Phil 🥰 

Lovely sunrise this AM. 

IMG_1063.jpeg

IMG_1064.jpeg

• Like 4
  • bongocat-test 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

It’s really just Randy who seems to live in the 1800s in terms of power failures

Randy's area does seem to be particularly bad in terms of infrastructure (i.e. power, internet, etc).    But he likes it that way.   He is a survivalist at heart!  

• Like 2
  • lol 1

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Randy's area does seem to be particularly bad in terms of infrastructure (i.e. power, internet, etc).    But he likes it that way.   He is a survivalist at heart!  

When I lived in town (Duncan) for 8 years our longest power outage was 1.5hours.  Shawnigan lake is pretty rural and power outages most often last much longer here

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Phil said:

It depends what areas and neighborhoods you're at. For some reason outages happened most frequently in Washington County (but the outages themselves would be short lived). They had underground lines.

Still can happen on a frequent level in very rural neighborhoods, grandma's place in the Falcon Heights area of Klamath Falls would get one on a near monthly basis but my house in downtown K-Falls would only once a year have an outage.. it also took stronger winds to knock it out compared to Hillsboro which was another curious observation. HIO was a more populated area. lol

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 22
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

12Z GFS sinks the cut off low so far south that an open trough is able to come down from the north later next week.  The 12Z GFS yesterday showed this as well.  This feature gets washed out on the ECMWF/EPS runs.