January 2024 Weather in the PNW (Part I)

Just now, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Weren't last nights GEM ensembles quite a bit colder than the operational?

Depends on where you are talking about.   Here is the 00Z GEM vs its 00Z GEM ensemble.  

gem-all-namer-t850_anom_stream-5190400.png

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-5190400.png

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 hours ago, The Winter Warlock said:

COVID seems to be rebounding. Infected on the 16th of December, finally tested negative on 12/31 and was feeling better. Now a cough and a mild fever a week later. Ugh.

So many people are experiencing what I did last season…I would just finish up with one and the next illness would take its place. My order of festivities was RSV, followed by COVID, followed by the Flu. I was non stop sick from the beginning of November to just before Christmas 2022. It was truly horrible. 

• Sad 3
  • Sick 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Up to 4½ inches so far, which is more than any forecast showed me getting. I wonder why they show central oregon too dry usually, is it perhaps caused by the almost 0 radar coverage?

#giveusaradar

• Like 3

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I favour this suggestion!

Highest honours to you. Grab the toque and do a snow dance, even if you're in a parkade at the outlets. If not we'll be sore-ry with torching. 

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

So we are slowly and painfully whittling down the positives models. Do we only have the GEM and the SPHERE (or whatever it is) left in our favor? 

• Downvote 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I just don't trust its tendency to go crazy with the blocking. 

The difference between the GFS and GEM a week out is about as big as it can get at that range.  

498 thickness line down to Vancouver BC on the GEM.  Unlikely to be that extreme. Gem does occasionally go nuts with amplification in the long range

12Z GFS just resets the entire pattern after day 10 for another shot at this.  

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-5557600.png

• Like 2
  • Excited 2
  • lol 5
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

So we are slowly and painfully whittling down the positives models. Do we only have the GEM and the SPHERE (or whatever it is) left in our favor? 

The euro is still half on half off, both with the op and it’s ensembles

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LowerGarfield said:

Everyone on this board has to start spelling in Canadian English this morning to encourage the GEM.

I second this ey, maple syrup ey hockey ey!

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

Just now, Mid Valley Duck said:

The euro is still half on half off, both with the op and it’s ensembles

Yes... we still have the ECMWF on board and that is huge.    The 00Z run was pretty cold and snowy for most of the region.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yes... we still have the ECMWF on board and that is huge.    The 00Z run was pretty cold and snowy for most of the region.  

Seems to be easily forgotten at the moment lol…but if it takes a step back we’re in big trouble 

• Like 4

The GFS needs to hug it out with the GEM and concede that Canada is simply better at forecasting. 
image.gif

• Like 2
  • lol 3

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z GFS just resets the entire pattern after day 10 for another shot at this.  

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-5557600.png

I noticed on the 6Z ensemble that the GEFS was going with a pretty major block reset in the long range

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

The GFS needs to hug it out with the GEM and concede that Canada is simply better at forecasting. 
image.gif

Statistically, the GEM does have a higher verification score than the GFS but the Euro is still the best.

• Like 1

Just now, Phishy Wx said:

FWIW, someone yesterday in the mayhem posted model verification recently and I believe it went:

1. Euro

2. ukmet

3. gem

4. gfs

GFS is trash, so keep that in mind

Unless it shows record snow and cold. Then it’s the gold standard 😂

• Like 7

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

IG: @SeanNyberg

X:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

Isn’t it still a little too early to be paying attention to operational runs? I think ensembles are a much better indication. Operational is going to bounce around a bunch I bet over next few days. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

GFS operational is significantly warmer than the ensemble mean.

gfs-deterministic-or_wa-t2m_f-5028400.thumb.png.f9e0bdc7b0b5eca573fbe77d0ca89dbb.pnggfs-ensemble-all-avg-or_wa-t2m_f-5028400.thumb.png.d6be7108a50336741cee94b74c20bafe.png

A watered-down, lesser outflow event is probably still coming. Bet the 12Z Euro confirms the latter.

What hour is the cutoff for ensembles and switching to the OP runs? Like 72-96 hours?

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

GFS operational is significantly warmer than the ensemble mean.

gfs-deterministic-or_wa-t2m_f-5028400.thumb.png.f9e0bdc7b0b5eca573fbe77d0ca89dbb.pnggfs-ensemble-all-avg-or_wa-t2m_f-5028400.thumb.png.d6be7108a50336741cee94b74c20bafe.png

A watered-down, lesser outflow event is probably still coming. Bet the 12Z Euro confirms the latter.

We do have pretty good agreement between the GEFS and EPS.   Probably what is going to happen.   These operational runs are so chaotic and inconsistent.

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-5071600.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-5082400.png

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

What hour is the cutoff for ensembles and switching to the OP runs? Like 72-96 hours?

I think Phil said operational are worthless outside 7 days. He’s clearly an expert but I thought it was more like 3 days at most. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andstorm said:

Isn’t it still a little too early to be paying attention to operational runs? I think ensembles are a much better indication. Operational is going to bounce around a bunch I bet over next few days. 

248 pages of ensemble chatter would be pretty boring. 

Down to 33 here. 

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

We do have pretty good agreement between the GEFS and EPS.   Probably what is going to happen.   These operational runs are so chaotic and inconsistent.

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-5071600.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-5082400.png

Those both compared look pretty solid despite the models refining and watering things down a bit from some of the insane runs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Weiner Warrior said:

I'm jumping off the train. Going back to normal life. We should get a good blast next year.

Bye 

• Excited 1
  • lol 2

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

IG: @SeanNyberg

X:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

1 minute ago, Weiner Warrior said:

I'm jumping off the train. Going back to normal life. We should get a good blast next year.

Only if you give one last reaction. It's your trademark after all :D I'm kidding.

• Weenie 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Those both compared look pretty solid despite the models refining and watering things down a bit from some of the insane runs. 

Yeah... I bet it will end up not nearly as cold as the GEM but way better than the GFS.  

But I would hate to be a professional forecaster.   The range of possibilities is still ridiculously high for being 5 days out.  

• Like 2