57 minutes ago, Prairiedog said:

Not so much hedging but rather patient.  He is hard fast :  7-10 days:  Pattern Reconition.  Something interesting could be on the way.  5--7 days Trending up or down.  Will it be cold enough?  Moisture?  3-5 days is about timing and intensity.  (becoming likely).  1-3 days out , forecast details.  Amts and location.  He's posted this before.  Those are his parameters. 

Spot On Channel 9 GIF by The Block

• Like 1

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

Ridge ends up right on top of us.  A great thing when you have snow cover and cold air in place.

• Like 9

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

13 minutes ago, Doinko said:

When was the last time we saw a ZR to snow situation? I only remember seeing the opposite

Happened rather brilliantly on 12/21/2008. Massive burst of snow that afternoon following a night of ZR. Picked up about 2" in a couple of hours with that back bent occlusion. Then the low drifted further south and really nailed NW OR the following morning with snow.

Edited by BLI snowman
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, awright-31 said:

What I didn't notice is that 10:00 pm Friday night the snow turns over to ZR and we get a half-inch of ice overnight Friday night on top of a foot of snow.

That has January 2012 vibes. The same weekend even I think. Did major damage here.

gfs-deterministic-seattle-t850-5125600.png

gfs-deterministic-seattle-frzr_total-5330800.png

please..no

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I actually worry about things ending up too suppressed more than too far north.

Yeah we need to be right in the middle of the battleground. No trending south!!! 

• Like 1
  • Sick 1
  • Weenie 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

A GEM / GFS blend would be the ultimate.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

23 minutes ago, awright-31 said:

Oh man. GFS has snow starting here around 4:00 am Friday and lasting throughout the day with temps in the mid-upper 20s. By 10:00 pm it has snowed a foot. Absolute perfection. The things I would do for this to verify.

Too bad it warms above freezing by 11:00 Saturday morning.

gfs-deterministic-seattle-snow_24hr_kuchera-5125600.png

Strong Jan 2012 vibes.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

5 minutes ago, Hyperbolic Trendz said:

I was just going to respond the same, but I was hesitant thinking maybe that was just a S. metro thing.  I think we even switched over and back for a few hours during the big Saturday event on (I believe) the 20th.  

Yeah we switched over here very late on the 20th and spent about 10 hours in the warm sector. Went back to snow late morning on the 21st and then picked up a few inches that evening with the cold trough axis moving onshore while offshore low level flow persisted. Dream scenario. 

• Like 6

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Yeah we need to be right in the middle of the battleground. No trending south!!! 

I’m stressing that we’re gonna be too far north 😬 Sure hope we end up in a decent spot when this is all over!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

Lots to like right now.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Strong Jan 2012 vibes.

Except it gets cold and dry afterward.  Not the case in 2012.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, snow_wizard said:

Except it gets cold and dry afterward.  Not the case in 2012.

Cold and dry when we're covered in a foot of snow followed by half an inch of ZR. Yikes.

Could only hope the upper levels don't warm enough to allow for that.

• Like 2

Wow!  GFS has us going into an inversion and staying cold.  Nice when it's snowy!

• Like 8

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, awright-31 said:

Cold and dry when we're covered in a foot of snow followed by half an inch of ZR. Yikes.

Could only hope the upper levels don't warm enough to allow for that.

Not buying the ZR.  Maybe some, but even a half inch isn't ridiculous.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

7 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Nice run!

Offshore flow kicks in later in the weekend and puts us in a nice cold / dry air situation.

The dry air completely decimates that system the GFS shows bombing out. Recent runs have it coming ashore before it collapses but I've certainly seen these things be torn up by the dry air before they even hit the coast (maybe how the ECMWF, ICON and GEM handled it?). They tend to hold together better when they track up from the south but then you risk them bombing out and bringing a rush of warm air in.

This even has a lot of similarities to Jan 2020 so far with the PV driving the pattern rather than the Pacific ridge. That event dumped around 15" of snow here and was cool/dry for about a week after the Arctic air was pushed out.

I'd gladly see this one go to southern areas as I won't even be here to enjoy it next weekend. But I'm sure we'll end up with the best January blast since 1969 because I decided to leave on vacation for a couple weeks in a strong Nino winter 😂.

image.thumb.jpeg.a9981eb775bc0518977c08a6aa2c694b.jpeg 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I think you’re right about the date. I was trying to remember myself. I think it was near the tail end of the first big storm of the sequence that the mid levels briefly warmed enough for some zr.

Probably the greatest weather day of my life.  10-12 hours of continuous snow (brief ice intermission)  with very little  (if any) nervous busting-energy and the cold comfort of knowing it would be there to enjoy for several days to come.  

• Like 5

Can’t remember any strong comparisons for a legit scenario where we go from a massive overrunning event into a strong cold pool pattern. 

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1
  • Angry 1
  • Shivering 1
  • Facepalm 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

Lots to like right now.

Could do without the 2" of ice being shown, but otherwise the runs tonight are a nice rebound. Our floor for the event at this point still seems to be a major winter storm and a few cold days. 

ice01092400z.png

• Like 7
  • scream 1

Wow this is crazy weather. I wouldn't want to forecast these next two storms. It's so hard here because of the gorge. Whatever happens it is going to difficult to get around. The weather service better get off their asses and do more than what they have done to this point.

• Like 2

Just now, Deweydog said:

Can’t remember any strong comparisons for a legit scenario where we go from a massive overrunning event into a strong cold pool pattern. 

I bet Justin has one pre-1950. If it exists.

• Like 1

What's the thought on I-5 from Bellingham to Seatac early Thursday morning?

My son is wanting to drive down for a 7am flight out of Seatac.  He is driving with a Subaru with Winter tires, and he got plenty of winter driving experience in a '98 Subaru when he lived in Bozeman for 4 years, so I'm not worried about him.

Looks like temp and precip are marginal, but no idea how to call it for Randy's neck of the woods down to Everett, seems like it can get pretty sh*tty there when other areas are ok.

Been trying to get him to get a hotel at Seatac Wednesday night but not having much luck....

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Not buying the ZR.  Maybe some, but even a half inch isn't ridiculous.

Will probably be less for you folks up north. I can definitely see at least that in Gorge adjacent areas.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just now, Hyperbolic Trendz said:

Probably the greatest weather day of my life.  10-12 hours of continuous snow (brief ice intermission)  with very little  (if any) nervous busting-energy and the cold comfort of knowing it would be there to enjoy for several days to come.  

Agreed. It was a stretch for the ages. Also happened to align with a week where I had a lot of scheduled furlough days at the semiconductor fab I was working at the time (thank you Great Recession) Timing worked out so I had several days off in a row to enjoy the snow without even having to worry about making the trek to work.

• Like 6

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

The big issue I see with the Dec 20, 2008 comparisons is the cold will be a lot less established here. May not matter too much for Portland if there's cold enough air in the gorge and the low takes the right track, but think we would probably need a bit better Arctic air penetration beforehand to make it happen.

• Like 4
  • Popcorn 1

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

Agreed. It was a stretch for the ages. Also happened to align with a week where I had a lot of scheduled furlough days at the semiconductor fab I was working at the time (thank you Great Recession) Timing worked out so I had several days off in a row to enjoy the snow without even having to worry about making the trek to work.

Timing for the big potential event coming is over the weekend it looks like…which is nice. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Kolk1604 said:

GEFS Alert 

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-or_wa-t2m_f-5190400.png

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-or_wa-total_snow_10to1-5190400.png

🔒 IT IN!! 

• Like 6
  • Snow 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

9 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Could do without the 2" of ice being shown, but otherwise the runs tonight are a nice rebound. Our floor for the event at this point still seems to be a major winter storm and a few cold days. 

ice01092400z.png

Floor?? That was the best case scenario. And you just jinxed it 

01/11/24 CZ: 400' in south Lynnwood

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

What's the thought on I-5 from Bellingham to Seatac early Thursday morning?

My son is wanting to drive down for a 7am flight out of Seatac.  He is driving with a Subaru with Winter tires, and he got plenty of winter driving experience in a '98 Subaru when he lived in Bozeman for 4 years, so I'm not worried about him.

Looks like temp and precip are marginal, but no idea how to call it for Randy's neck of the woods down to Everett, seems like it can get pretty sh*tty there when other areas are ok.

Been trying to get him to get a hotel at Seatac Wednesday night but not having much luck....

Temps will be in the 40s in Seattle on Thursday... no issues down here that day until maybe the evening.   Should be good as long as you can back home by 1 p.m.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**