January Weather In The PNW 2024 (Part III) - The Warming Shot

iFred

Just now, TT-SEA said:

No Chris.   North Bend has to take of its own roads and they are bad at it.   Intentionally so because they claim it will cost more in road maintenance.    The line is drawn right at the city limit.   Literally. in all directions,   The county will lift its plows right when it crosses the city line.  

Ah, so you don't live in "North Bend" just like I don't actually live in Aberdeen.

• Like 3

IMG_3440.thumb.jpeg.6e874a1a7a9808f268de74858df97196.jpeg

Not the greatest picture, sorry, but we have a light glaze starting in my part of Renton/Skyway. This poor rhododendron was already looking rather Charlie Brown Christmas tree, and now has added shine 🤣 The pavement is also developing ice patches in places, and the grass is still rock hard. It’s been raining steadily for the last 1.5 hours so we have some standing water as well. Been stuck at 33.4 for the last hour. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

So they just ignore the crap roads in NB and clear you guys out, go back through and ignore the crap roads in NB and move on..... that's weird and suspicious.

It’s about King County vs. North Bend. King County covers unincorporated outside North Bend (rich, poor, in between) and the city does North Bend. It’s a running joke out here. We get taken care of out here because often we’re the only spot in unincorporated King County with snow/ice.

Light rain and 26°F

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

No Chris.   North Bend has to take of its own roads and they are bad at it.   Intentionally so because they claim it will cost more in road maintenance.    The line is drawn right at the city limit.   Literally. in all directions,   The county will lift its plows right when it crosses the city line.    We don't live in the city of North Bend out here.    This is an endless discussion among locals out here... forever.  

Are you done adding this this comment yet 🤣

3 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Ah, so you don't live in "North Bend" just like I don't actually live in Aberdeen.

North Bend address and zip code.   But the actual city limits are quite tight.   But people in North Bend mock the city all the time during winter events because the second you cross the city line the roads are clear and well maintained.  The city of Snoqualmie right next door to the west also does a very good job.   

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, The Ms. Anthrop said:

IMG_3440.thumb.jpeg.6e874a1a7a9808f268de74858df97196.jpeg

Not the greatest picture, sorry, but we have a light glaze starting in my part of Renton/Skyway. This poor rhododendron was already looking rather Charlie Brown Christmas tree, and now has added shine 🤣 The pavement is also developing ice patches in places, and the grass is still rock hard. It’s been raining steadily for the last 1.5 hours so we have some standing water as well. Been stuck at 33.4 for the last hour. 

Totally forgot about the ponding on frozen ground! The dog will love that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

No Chris.   North Bend has to take of its own roads and they are bad at it.   Intentionally so because they claim it will cost more in road maintenance.    The line is drawn right at the city limit.   Literally. in all directions,   The county will lift its plows right when it crosses the city line.  

This is correct. NB doesn't contract with the County to plow their roads, so the KC plows go to the boundaries and turn around. Source: I work for the County.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, NorthBend RainEnthusiast said:

It’s about King County vs. North Bend. King County covers unincorporated outside North Bend (rich, poor, in between) and the city does North Bend. It’s a running joke out here. We get taken care of out here because often we’re the only spot in unincorporated King County with snow/ice.

And I have come to really appreciate King County over the last 20 years.   They are so incredibly responsive up here and its so nice.  

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Not always, it's ok to be wrong.  And no ya didn't.

Sorry to break it to ya, bud, but the laws of physics apply in your backyard just as they do for the rest of us.

No, you are not experiencing a magical rain that doesn’t freeze in subfreezing temperatures. And yes, there is an upper level low associated with this system. ;) 

• Like 4
  • lol 1

Just now, Phil said:

The laws of physics apply in your backyard just as they do for the rest of us.

No, you are not experiencing a magical rain that doesn’t freeze at subfreezing temperatures.

Who said anything about magic, it rained at 31 degrees tonight, nothing froze because..... simple..... all surfaces remained above freezing, that's not magic, it's fact and not impossible no matter how you try to spin it.

• Facepalm 1

It can be a day or two before they plow around my area, and when they do they just plow and rarely even use sand. It’s perfect!! 

IMG_1977.jpeg

IMG_1976.jpeg

IMG_1974.jpeg

• Like 9

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

Who said anything about magic, it rained at 31 degrees tonight, nothing froze because..... simple..... all surfaces remained above freezing, that's not magic, it's fact and not impossible no matter how you try to spin it.

Dewpoint?

ECMWF is adamant that Seattle will mix out and warm up during the day tomorrow.   Then crash back into the 30s but the precip is mostly gone by then.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-5536000 (1).png

• lol 1

2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Cliff Mass would agree with you. The roads (and everything else) were too warm.

• Like 1

Switched back to all sleet here. I think this is only the second time I've experienced sleet so it's pretty interesting. Hoping that as the upper levels cool maybe we'll start getting some snow. Temp still holding steady at 33F.

• Like 3

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

00Z ECMWF is completely unchanged.  It had this figured out all along.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_snow_kuchera-5600800 (1).png

We are supposed to be following the hi res now anyway, and you already guaranteed Meaty snow so…Too late!! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Sorry to break it to ya, bud, but the laws of physics apply in your backyard just as they do for the rest of us.

No, you are not experiencing a magical rain that doesn’t freeze in subfreezing temperatures. And yes, there is an upper level low associated with this system. ;) 

I have been having rain not freeze and it is subfreezing. Should I go double check?

• Like 1

At the peak things were 31 temp/30 DP, no way surfaces were gonna drop to freezing to freeze the moisture.

Ahhhh... that is probably why its not freezing to surfaces there.   Saturated air.  

2 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

I believe you. 

He needs to look at the ECMWF and update his post.    

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Downvote 2

Water has a very high thermal capacity, most surfaces cool very quickly when precipitation is falling.

If it was actually 31°F and precipitating, surfaces will rapidly cool to freezing or below as latent heat absorption from evaporation exceeds latent heat release on surfaces that are above freezing in a subfreezing airmass.

Your thermometer is miscalibrated. It’s okay. :lol: 

1 minute ago, the_convergence_zone said:

It’s been running laps around the other models and making complicated forecasts look easy. 

Consistency is hard to beat.    

• Sick 1

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

No Chris.   North Bend has to take of its own roads and they are bad at it.   Intentionally so because they claim it will cost more in road maintenance.    The line is drawn right at the city limit.   Literally. in all directions,   The county will lift its plows right when it crosses the city line.    We don't live in the city of North Bend out here.    This is an endless discussion among locals out here... forever.  

It’s kind of similar here.  Years ago we used to have the roads plowed by the municipality and they would always have it done the next morning.  At some point they decided to subcontract our area out and the municipality doesn’t clear snow here anymore.  The contractor does the bare minimum.  We can have 20” of snow and they won’t touch our street until someone calls and complains.  Sometimes they won’t plow for 3 days or more. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Water has a very high thermal capacity, most surfaces cool very quickly when precipitation is falling.

If it was actually 31°F and precipitating, surfaces will rapidly cool to freezing or below as latent heat absorption from evaporation exceeds latent heat release on surfaces that are above freezing in a subfreezing airmass.

Your thermometer is miscalibrated. It’s okay. :lol: 

200.gif?cid=790b7611ed39c3e846ce68f6bd0e

7 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

I have been having rain not freeze and it is subfreezing. Should I go double check?

Check elevated metallic surfaces and tree branches. If there’s no light glaze under the dripping water then it’s above freezing (unless this is a fresh cold airmass after a very warm/sunny day, which I’m assuming isn’t the case).

Literally the most accurate thermometer possible. 😂 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Consistency is hard to beat.    

So no snow for me then. I’m going to bed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • bongocat-test 1

30 minutes ago, icyasf said:

Well this event was a fun ride, and the first one I actually was on here for!! I’m a freshman at OSU so I live in the dorms but I stayed home for the weekend at my parents place cause they are a little bit out of town and have a weather station and a bit of elevation compared to campus. We ended with a 30/19 day Saturday, 25/18 Sunday, 29/19 Monday, and a low of 16 today. Didn’t get snow but the sleet and ZR combo was pretty interesting. Hoping we thaw out of this, and people that lost power get it back quick. Currently 28 with half an inch of ice on top of sleet.

IMG_4247.jpeg

Can I ask what you are majoring in?

• Like 1