January Weather In The PNW 2024 (Part III) - The Warming Shot

iFred

1 minute ago, DeepFriedEgg said:

Seems like a decent signal for AK blocking in the long range but seems like the entire CONUS is just torching at that point.

If the block sets up that will change.  The worst torching actually ends up in the NE which is just pure luck for us given the ENSO state.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Do we have high hopes for February to deliver? I know some people have commented on it since we’re off the heels of some historic cold. My guess is February torches hard since it has been below normal every year since 2016. The last snowless one here was also 2016. Seems like we’re due for a sh*t one. 

48 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Total devastation. Uprooted trees. Etc.

I'm so sorry you couldn't have had more enjoyable conditions to enjoy the cold temps.  That really takes the fun out of it.

• Sad 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

12 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Yeah, it looked pretty but didn’t sound right to me either. Looks like their coldest overall day of the event was yesterday, with a 13/-2 spread. Still impressive.

I think Andrew will try to slide one past us every now and then. Oh Andrew, you little scamp. What ever are we ever going to do with you. 🥰 

@SilverFallsAndrew

Edited by Cascadia_Wx

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Do we have high hopes for February to deliver? I know some people have commented on it since we’re off the heels of some historic cold. My guess is February torches hard since it has been below normal every year since 2016. The last snowless one here was also 2016. Seems like we’re due for a sh*t one. 

Hard to ignore what the models are hinting at right now.  If that fails our last shot will be the final SSW event.  Those have treated us very well lately.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

10 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Pretty sad for sure here as well in Tacoma. Even just an inch of snow last Thursday would’ve made this event so much more enjoyable. The historic cold was awesome but definitely sucks to be too dry on 1/11. Then too far north on 1/13…then too far south today. 
 Trying to look on the bright side of how well we’ve done in the winters before this one though. It was record smashing cold for sure and that was cool. We were due for a dud snow event and a high end blast. Didn’t think we would be crossing both of those off the list at the same time lol. 

NWS zone forecast calls for snow here tomorrow morning with no accumulation so maybe we at least see some flakes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Yeah, it looked pretty but didn’t sound right to me either. Looks like their coldest overall day of the event was yesterday, with a 13/-2 spread. Still impressive.

Very solid. Did a little look back and late January/early February 1996 ended up being a pretty good comp. Five straight days at 16 or lower with a min/max of 12 and a low of -4. 

Edited by Deweydog
  • Like 5

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Just now, Deweydog said:

Very solid. Did a little look back and late January/early February ended up being a pretty good comp. Five straight days at 16 or lower with a min/max of 12 and a low of -4. 

You didn’t add the year but I’m guessing you’re talking about 1996?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

If the block sets up that will change.  The worst torching actually ends up in the NE which is just pure luck for us given the ENSO state.

Yes, the blocking is certainly a great first step. Seems like it would at least load cold air into western Canada.

1 minute ago, RentonHill said:

Some quick hitter action? sliders? clippers? backdoor bombs? jitterbugs? 

YARN | no Spleen Splitters, Whisker Biscuits, | Joe Dirt | Video gifs by  quotes | 2487807a | 紗

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-6745600.png

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-6788800.png

Still a lot of time for this to improve.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, T-Town said:

NWS zone forecast calls for snow here tomorrow morning with no accumulation so maybe we at least see some flakes. 

Yeah, either way the real warm up commences soon. It’s too bad the best snow we got was a trace that got blown away by the wind and sublimated within 24 hours. I guess we just gotta hope we score some type of snow event in the next few weeks. If we can manage something from that then I’ll feel a bit better about this one. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bainbridgekid said:

I was out walking on a frozen lake yesterday and a woman approached me out on the ice and said she grew up in Minnesota but moved to Florida for high school and hadn't seen a frozen lake since she was a kid. She said she was driving by and saw me out on the ice and felt a wave of nostalgia and started crying. Really a sweet moment. She apologized for crying and interrupting me and I told her she probably picked the ONE person just as excited about the ice as she was. 😅

Was this the part where you ripped your sideless tank top off and said “If you think this ice is hard just check out these abs” At which point she gave you her number/filed a restraining order?

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Was this the part where you ripped your sideless tank top off and said “If you think this ice is hard just check out these abs” At which point she gave you her number/filed a restraining order?

Nah I only do that when it's over 40 degrees.

• Excited 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Our school district will be on two hour late start tomorrow. I was not expecting that. Looking forward to a slower morning tomorrow though. Unusual to get this info so far in advance. Not complaining about it though.

• Like 4

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

2 minutes ago, Timmy said:

Temp leveled off and appears to be falling. 32.4 after a high of 32.9. Limbs are really starting to fall.

I hit 41 as a high, but was only above 40 for about an hour today. Back down to 37 here. The cold pool is definitely putting up a fight. Very slow thaw all day here. 

• Like 9