February 2024 Weather in the PNW

10 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Long range eps now has all of spring with below average temperatures and goa ridging.

91B9541D-0AD1-4ADC-8A0B-99DBFB416435.png

3EDBABC9-6781-4879-A0E2-C2A582584561.png

Big trade wind burst about to begin over the Equatorial Pacific.  The Nino is pretty done much at least atmospherically.  I'm pretty sure that cold subsurface water will pop this week as well.  There may be little Nino influence on our weather this spring.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

36 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

sn10_006h-imp.us_nw.png

Why do you often post the 10:1 map for the GFS? Pivotalweather has the kuchera map available for free, but yet you choose the 10:1 map. 

Great run though, needs to trend maybe 15 miles north and I could get a Feb 25th 2019 redux. 2 and a half feet pleeeeaaase!!

Edit: actually no its in a perfect spot. DO NOT TREND NORTH OR SOUTH!

• Popcorn 1
  • Sick 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

How about nothing?

What if we want to mention you, should we say something like "This run has a lot of snow for you nothing!"? I think calling you @MR.SNOWMIZER is better than calling you "nothing"....

But if you really want to be called "nothing" I guess that's what we'll call you from now on.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

38 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Not sure I followed your reasoning and models have been much more consistent on a northern pscz. All I can hope is I get one right over me,

The models are showing a normal c-zone and then one south of normal tomorrow evening.  It's been well advertised.  The HRRR just totally ignores the King County action advertised on the other models.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

26 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Same here, none. I find it funny yet annoying people think that is a sign winter is over. 

There are a lot of buds on the trees after the mild days last week, but seeing buds show up in late Feb is pretty much on time. I think most trees are smart enough to wait a bit to flower this early though. It would be kind of like a SoCal transplant putting their deck furniture out after the first 60+ and sunny day in late Feb.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

19 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I get it. Seems like you’re much more bearish about most setups than you used to be though. Just an observation.

It’s not just you, but I do feel like there is this sort of narrative in our little micro-culture here that being a forum “grown up” means taking the most pessimistic slant possible toward any and all snow/cold chances. As a result I believe there’s a lot of overcorrecting in that direction sometimes. Although I suppose it could be argued that balances out the stark raving Jim on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I am overall pretty optimistic still I feel like. I just am not excited IMBY about strong NW flow. Rarely works out here. This also isnt really a slam dunk snow event for most folks…but I’m sure some people will be happy! 

• Like 1

Some upper 30s on the NW Coast of Vancouver Island.  Pretty darn cold!  Meanwhile 60+ in some places east of the Cascades with winds gusting close to 60.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

I am overall pretty optimistic still I feel like. I just am not excited IMBY about strong NW flow. Rarely works out here. This also isnt really a slam dunk snow event for most folks…but I’m sure some people will be happy! 

When the situation is marginal, Tacoma is generally not a good bet to score. So I try to set my expectations accordingly.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

There are going to be surprises over the next week with the big second trough.  Pretty much anywhere could score as the situation evolves.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

14 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

What if we want to mention you, should we say something like "This run has a lot of snow for you nothing!"? I think calling you @MR.SNOWMIZER is better than calling you "nothing"....

But if you really want to be called "nothing" I guess that's what we'll call you from now on.

You can call me AL

• Like 4
  • Excited 1
  • lol 2
  • Weenie 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

7 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Pscz gets going by late tonight on gfs. I’ll be seeing if this verifies.

7943110D-F827-4521-A20E-DDAE64E0A5B5.png

DF713AA5-84C6-47BE-881E-89D2BA86ABEF.png

Possible I suppose.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Might pull off a sub 50 high here in spite many places being 50+ right now.  Only 46 here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, T-Town said:

When the situation is marginal, Tacoma is generally not a good bet to score. So I try to set my expectations accordingly.  

Yeah definitely, I am just not expecting anything with this set up the next week. NW flow rarely works out here. I overall usually am a glass half full kind of person when looking at the models. This set up is not ideal at all for us though. Maybe next year! 

• Like 1

Two more possible snow events this week on the GFS I'll have to dissect.

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, snow_wizard said:

Two more possible snow events this week on the GFS I'll have to dissect.

The door is open just about all week except for a 24hr period or so. We will be cold enough, especially at night. Even on a 37 degree day it can snow because the upper levels will be really cold.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Long range eps now has all of spring with below average temperatures and goa ridging.

Going to Western Ne. for a graduation (not my choice) in  mid-May and then on to Estes Park, Co. and the Rocky Mountain National Park (my consolation) for several days afterward.  Getting in a horseback trip up into the Rockies while we are there too.  Looks like there will still be plenty of snow in areas to say the least.

Picture is from the web.  Looking forward to posting mine though.

12a.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

The skiing is gonna be AWESOMMEEE next week! Quite a few days where the snow ratio is gonna be in the 20s at bachelor, not quite Utah or Alaska powder but it'll be pretty great. 

Backside at Bachelor on Thursday was amazing. Fairly light snow with only a small section of the usual ice on the traverse. 

• Like 1

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

24 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

There are a lot of buds on the trees after the mild days last week, but seeing buds show up in late Feb is pretty much on time. I think most trees are smart enough to wait a bit to flower this early though. It would be kind of like a SoCal transplant putting their deck furniture out after the first 60+ and sunny day in late Feb.

They have started here, but they have been snowed on before.  I can see two from my window in the neighbors property.  Let it snow.

• Excited 1

6 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

How are you doing today Mr Nothing?  Nice to meet you, I'm Phishy

Why don't you back the F off before you see a side of me you won't like. Deal? JUST DROP IT. Been on here way to long to deal with high-school  drama like this.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 4
  • scream 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 4
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

IMG_0433.jpeg

Big picture view of Western snowpack. Nice to see Utah, Nevada and SE Oregon/Southern Idaho doing so well.

Wish this map also included the Sierra basins. I haven’t seen a lot of posts from @AlTahoe complaining about too much/too little snow lately, so maybe that means they’re close to average 😜

Currently at 60% of normal precip and 25% snowfall. Somehow South lake Tahoe is the driest city in Califronia PON so far. But the Gfs is showing 100" of snow here in the next 10 days so maybe we will catch up. Current snowpack pic

20240225_120815.jpg

• Popcorn 1
  • Sad 1
  • Snow 1
  • Sick 1
  • Facepalm 1

Down to 41 from 46 in the last 25 minutes or so. It’s coming. 

Edited by MossMan
  • bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 hour ago, Slushy Inch said:

Spring ends on April 11th?

• Thanks 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**