February 2024 Weather in the PNW

21 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Snow mixed with rain at home, 38 degrees.

Rare case being shown on the models where we both score Friday morning.  Hope it's true!

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

ECMWF has the exact same area of snow in king County Friday morning that is shown on the GFS.  Looks like a little bit of east wind helps with this.

1709305200-996V4VkRVy4.png

Kuchera map please?

13 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It does look like Vancouver could hold onto the cold better than Bellingham has for a while.

Cold air banking against the North Shore mountains in southerly flow. It’s the SWBC analogue to the Hood Canal Effect. Eventually the pineapples will win, of course, but not until after I score some accumulations.

It's called clown range for a reason.

5 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Where in north bend are you? Looks close to the ledge. 

Yep, I’m in the neighborhood you can see below you while on Rattlesnake Ledge, about 1000’ elevation. Rainy as hell, dark as hell, but often snowy as hell too. And pure bliss in the summer. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, NorthBend RainEnthusiast said:

Yep, I’m in the neighborhood you can see below you while on Rattlesnake Ledge, about 1000’ elevation. Rainy as hell, dark as hell, but often snowy as hell too. And pure bliss in the summer. 

I think that neighborhood is getting a little brighter each year as people cut down trees and they fall in wind or have died from heat.    Also the east side of the neighborhood is significantly brighter than the part you are in tucked right up against the ridge.   I don't think you even have perspective of the ridge because you are right under it... its only as you move away when you can see the entire ridge.

• Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Facepalm 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Any word on the 18z euro?

• Snow 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Just now, Slushy Inch said:

46BEA476-154C-4A33-BA9F-FABD455F8E74.png

Omg 

• Excited 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

12 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Gem didn’t pickup much of the pscz snow if any 

It definitely showed the c-zone snow... did pretty good out here but was a little too far north with the Vancouver Island band.

gem-all-washington-snow_24hr-9035200.png

• Sad 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I think that neighborhood is getting a little brighter each year as people cut down trees and they fall in wind or have died from heat.    Also the east side of the neighborhood is significantly brighter than the part your are in tucked right up against the ridge.   I don't think you even have perspective of the ridge because you are right under it... its only as you move away when you can see the entire ridge.

You know what, I’ve never stepped outside my own house and looked. Thanks for letting me know or I’d never have known! 🙄 I have a view of a lake and Mailbox Peak all winter long, don’t worry about me.

I remember my first comment here in 2019 was similar: you telling me about my own property and how dark it is. ❤️

This neighborhood is currently much darker than it ever was in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s (fun fact: trees grow up). I love the shade, I love the moss, I love the rain, and despite your attempts to often highlight the opposite, it’s mostly rain and darkness for all of us all winter long. Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to built a snow dam in my creek with my son in this dark abyss I call home.

(As with many peoples comments towards you, this will seem a bit aggressive but is built off years of subtle comments from you. It’s why I left the first time. Now play innocent like you have no idea what I’m talking about and we can move on.)

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 2

21 minutes ago, NorthBend RainEnthusiast said:

You know what, I’ve never stepped outside my own house and looked. Thanks for letting me know or I’d never have known! 🙄 I have a view of a lake and Mailbox Peak all winter long, don’t worry about me.

I remember my first comment here in 2019 was similar: you telling me about my own property and how dark it is. ❤️

This neighborhood is currently much darker than it ever was in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s (fun fact: trees grow up). I love the shade, I love the moss, I love the rain, and despite your attempts to often highlight the opposite, it’s mostly rain and darkness for all of us all winter long. Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to built a snow dam in my creek with my son in this dark abyss I call home.

(As with many peoples comments towards you, this will seem a bit aggressive but is built off years of subtle comments from you. It’s why I left the first time.)

Wow.   Nice response.  

I can tell you for a fact that neighborhood was definitely darker when we moved here over 20 years ago.   I believe they built the neighborhood in the middle of the forest originally so its slowly becoming less forested.   I thought that was a positive comment and its reality.   

And of course rain and clouds are the default in the winter... like most of the area.    But with the pattern back in November and December... the NB area had way more sun than areas closer to the water... as we also benefit from offshore flow in the winter.  

• Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Starting to stick to the grass and the old jetski! 
temp down to 33.8

IMG_3075.jpeg

Your shed and gravel area are way too well maintained!    I should take a pic of my dilapidated snowblower shed!

• lol 2

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Wow.   Nice response.  

I can tell you for a fact that neighborhood was definitely darker when we moved here over 20 years ago.   I believe they built the neighborhood in the middle of the forest originally so its slowly becoming less forested.  

And of course rain and clouds are the default in the winter... like most of the area.    But with the pattern back in November and December... the NB area had way more sun than areas closer to the water... as we also benefit from offshore flow in the winter.  

Your incorrect about the neighborhood history, every home had an incredible view here when the neighborhood was built in the 60s and 70s (it was a tree farm right before and the trees weren’t large here at the time). 

Weenies probably deserved, I’m just annoyed by the nature of your responses to me every D**n time. That probably means it’s time for me to take a hiatus. 

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1

1 hour ago, NorthBend RainEnthusiast said:

Your incorrect about the neighborhood history, every home had an incredible view here when the neighborhood was built in the 60s and 70s (it was a tree farm right before and the trees weren’t large here at the time). 

Weenies probably deserved, I’m just annoyed by the nature of your responses to me every D**n time. That probably means it’s time for me to take a hiatus. 

I haven't said anything to you since you came back other than weather related stuff... and you commented on the darkness today.   I am agreeing with you.  I don't think people generally describe the North Bend area in terms of darkness... more often its in terms of rain and clouds.  Most everyone in the Seattle area knows what the NB area is like.  But your street specifically is truly unique.  It sounds like its totally suited for you with very little direct sunlight and likely wind protected so things stay wet for much of the year.     

We have just enough sunny days in the winter months for me to avoid calling "dark as hell" like you.  We have had roughly 35 sunny days since November 1st... and that has been cloudier than the last couple of winters.  But that is enough sun to keep me content.    You say its dark as hell... to each their own.   I used to say the same thing as you... but my perspective has brightened as I get older.   And have also watched the forest around me dying from too much sun and heat and my lawn completely fry up over the last 3 years to the point that its now gone.   A lack of sun does not seem like such a big problem now.  

A rarity to see a late season wind advisory and flood watch at the same time. This is some November vibe weather. 

Prepping for an outage… This place we moved to last year have seen 3 power outages already with winds 30-35mph. Wind expected this time is 25-35 up to 45mph.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

A rarity to see a late season wind advisory and flood watch at the same time. This is some November vibe weather. 

Prepping for an outage… This place we moved to last year have seen 3 power outages already with winds 30-35mph. Wind expected this time is 25-35 up to 45mph.

Right in the city? Wow, that sucks. In-city areas usually have pretty reliable power.

Just now, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Right in the city? Wow, that sucks. In-city areas usually have pretty reliable power.

Around Boeing field is a bit more exposed so this place usually gets the high end of the winds.  It’s kinda weird because at the old place (about 5 miles away), which is on top of a hill, can get stronger winds but rarely have power outages. 

9 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Outages are increasingly becoming a more frequent occurrence here too... not sure why.     I wonder if it has to do with PSE staffing issues.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Outages have been increasingly becoming a more frequent occurrence here too... not sure why.     I wonder if it has to do with PSE staffing issues.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is. Most of the time, it gets restored within 5-6 hours and usually happens when people are sleeping. So the grids must be turned off on purpose. 

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is. Most of the time, it gets restored within 5-6 hours and usually happens when people are sleeping. So the grids must be turned off on purpose. 

I also keep getting calls about flex events... that never used to happen.  

9 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Around Boeing field is a bit more exposed so this place usually gets the high end of the winds.  It’s kinda weird because at the old place (about 5 miles away), which is on top of a hill, can get stronger winds but rarely have power outages. 

Still a surprise. Lived near High Point in West Seattle for a year or so once. That area really got hammered by winds due to elevation. Never had an outage.

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Outages are increasingly becoming a more frequent occurrence here too... not sure why.     I wonder if it has to do with PSE staffing issues.  

Except Seattle isn’t PSE. Seattle City Light… a completely different, municipally-owned utility.

• Like 5