March 2024 Weather in the PNW

Just now, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Other than the EPS is also retrograding the pattern at the end. Lol

OK.    Still shows 5-7 days and does not get back to a mountain snow pattern at the end of the run.   

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

OK.    Still shows 5-7 days and does not get back to a mountain snow pattern at the end of the run.   

@Cascadia_Wx idk why we feed the trolls like this… 

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Just now, SilverFallsAndrew said:

@Cascadia_Wx idk why we feed the trolls like this… 

I am not trolling... you are.     I am just looking forward to a little warm weather even if it only lasts for a couple days.   You seem to have a problem with that but my wish is genuine and looks like it could happen.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Ended up with a very chilly 41/35 day here yesterday. Mostly cloudy with scattered mixed rain and snow showers. @SilverFallsAndrew mentioned it the other day but it’s amazing how overcast this pattern has been for this time of year. More like midwinter cold onshore flow. It’s been great.

• Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Had a lot of 34-35 degree non sticking snow overnight. It was coming down pretty good a couple times that I woke up, but didn’t really amount to anything. It’s been a little frustrating being so close to snow the last couple nights but not getting anything meaningful. Still, it’s been a great and very needed pattern for the region.

Currently mostly cloudy and 39 after a low of 34.

• Like 6

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

Had a lot of 34-35 degree non sticking snow overnight. It was coming down pretty good a couple times that I woke up, but didn’t really amount to anything. It’s been a little frustrating being so close to snow the last couple nights but not getting anything meaningful. Still, it’s been a great and very needed pattern for the region.

Currently mostly cloudy and 39 after a low of 34.

Big silver dollar flakes coming down at about 2:00 am today, Jess. They were beautiful! Have to imagine it was similar at your place!!! Good luck next December!!!!

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Troll 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I love that you dont plow the driveway, i do not plow mine as well. I like the way it looks natural.

That’s Andrew’s style. Dewey strikes me more as a 0% tolerance for snow on the driveway and keep the lawn with a crew cut year round type of guy.

• Excited 1

12Z EPS... a break from cold troughing has been consistent and it doesn't show an immediate return to a mountain snow pattern.   Tough to say how this might evolve farther down the road, but no one is expecting endless ridging in March.    It might evolve into a STJ set up with CA getting back into the action.    But that is far down the road... what is coming into sight now is a pattern change.  

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1709553600-1709553600-1710849600-10.gif

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z EPS... a break from cold troughing has been consistent and it doesn't show an immediate return to a mountain snow pattern.   Tough to say how this might evolve farther down the road, but no one is expecting endless ridging in March.    It might evolve into a STJ set up with CA getting back into the action.    But that is far down the road... what is coming into sight now is a pattern change.  

I do think a cool down following the warm up is in the cards…

• Like 2
  • Troll 1
  • Spam 1

Just now, Deweydog said:

I do think a cool down following the warm up is in the cards…

I am going to go out on a limb and say a warm up following the cool down following the warm up might also be in the cards.  

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1

Really strong cell north of Aberdeen.   Almost has to be heavy snow with any elevation.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Most likely record-breaking warmth for here once the cool rainy pattern stops.

Not looking forward to summer with crappy AC.

• Sick 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

15 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I love that you dont plow the driveway, i do not plow mine as well. I like the way it looks natural.

I agree! But I have to plow mine, it’s way too steep/narrow, just driving up and down it about twice compacts it and it’s just impassable without going into a free slide down or not making it up even in 4wd…Found out the hard way with our first big snow here in 2019. 
I do keep the south side of the house and landscaping completely unmolested from the kids and dogs, always looks amazing! 

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Insurance still hasn't approved the medication I'd been taking since my brain surgeries in 2018. Haven't taken it in over a week now and I keep having my hands and feet go numb and I'm not able to walk much.

I called the neurologist office for the 2nd time about this now and they say it's still waiting to be approved. I asked what to do if this keeps getting worse and seizures become more and more common cuz of it? They said to just go to the ER where a bunch of sick people are. I don't want to get sick and I'm not sure what an ER dr would do? They would just say, "well, talk to your neurologist about this..."

This sucks. Trying to stay positive but feeling like I keep falling away from reality and existence is scary.

• Sad 9
  • Angry 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

24 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Looks like @Phil will return around March 17th

• Excited 1
  • lol 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

22 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

idk doesnt have the sprawling look to it that our mega ridgefests end up having. 3-4 days of sun followed by showers (thunderstorms?) would be nice. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

That’s Andrew’s style. Dewey strikes me more as a 0% tolerance for snow on the driveway and keep the lawn with a crew cut year round type of guy.

image.gif

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Sick 1

3 minutes ago, SnowySeeker50 said:

Nice graupel shower here currently.

Both graupel and sun here right now.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I agree! But I have to plow mine, it’s way too steep/narrow, just driving up and down it about twice compacts it and it’s just impassable without going into a free slide down or not making it up even in 4wd…Found out the hard way with our first big snow here in 2019. 
I do keep the south side of the house and landscaping completely unmolested from the kids and dogs, always looks amazing! 

Our current house has an insanely steep driveway, so I have to keep it clear.  It's also on the north side so it doesn't see the sun in the winter.

Our old house had a flat driveway that I never had to touch, but unfortunately we lived on a very steep street, so it was always an adventure getting up to the main road.  What made it worse was we were the 2nd house down from the top of the hill.  It was also a popular sledding spot. 

I kept a bucket of traction sand and always sanded the hell out of the street in front of our house up to the top of the hill after almost putting my car into someone's living room at the bottom of the hill.  I was driving a '94 nissan Altima at the time, and sometimes took a play out of the old VW Bug playbook and would back up the street so all the weight was over the drivewheels at the "back" of the car.  I got a nasty glare from a neighbor, but f*ck 'em, I had to get to work, and that was the only way I was going to make it.

• Like 1

Getting some graupel/hail here.

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3