March 2024 Weather in the PNW

5 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

c'mon man....

Are you saying you are not one of those people?

It's hard to defend your other posts when you say stuff like this.

Never said I wasn’t. Although the more there are the more head butting there is 😜

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Been watching a flash freeze situation in the Twin Cities this morning... as temps have crashed back into the low to mid 20s with heavy snow in the wrap around behind the big storm.    Temps have fallen into the teens in western MN and the single digits in the Dakotas which is pretty impressive for the middle of the day when its almost April.    Some places might go below zero tonight.  

C30137.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 hours ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

That ship steered right into the support beam power was flickering then it just goes full steam head on into it. Looks like a terrorist attack.

Color me skeptical. My hunch is there was a short circuit and/or power failure that somehow caused a malfunction of the steering mechanism(s). Exactly how, I have no clue as I know next to nothing about  ships.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Sounds like the confirmed casualties are only in the single digits, fortunately. Guess there wasn't much traffic on there when it happened.

Thank god it was 130AM. If this had happened during rush hour…I don’t even want to think about it.

• Like 1

Some improvements on the 12z GFS. 

Mildish morning with some showers around and a low of just 45. Tomorrow looks wet so that’s nice to see. Could help us get closer to average for the month.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

13 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Mildish morning with some showers around and a low of just 45. Tomorrow looks wet so that’s nice to see. Could help us get closer to average for the month.

Was mostly cloudy in Texas for the eclipse, not an amazing run. But it was super clear in Arkansas for the eclipse, I guess that's always a good backup plan.

• Spam 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

11 hours ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Vast majority?  Idk what outdoor activities you partake in, but the vast MINORITY of my outdoor hobbies can be enjoyed in the rain. Skiing? Possible but NOT enjoyable. Kayaking?, Ideally NO. Mountaineering?, Absolutely no f-ing chance. Running?, Can be fine but is most of the time hazardous. Hiking?, Yes. Rock climbing?, Actually in a lot of cases it can be okay. Sunbathing?, Definitely NOT. Walking the dog?, Only if you like cleaning mud off the dog. Tennis?, no. Standing on tall roofs to fix weather stations(phil🌭)?, NO. Boating?, If its really warm than sure, but we RARELY get warm rain. Camping?, F‐ that.

List goes on, my point is that it's the minority of my outdoor activities that can be enjoyed in the rain, NOT the majority. Maybe you have different hobbies that are affected differently because your different climate in a DIFFERENT REGION from this forum.

Working on code while outside under a porch with a hot cup of coffee, yes.
Going for a walk in the drizzle to enjoy a lush summer or a vibrant and crisp fall, yes.
Sleeping with the window open to hear natures white noise machine, yes.
Sitting around a roaring campfire in gortex, drinking a niced spiced tea, sharing stories, all while a summer shower is muddying up the surroundings, yes.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Looks like we're up to 3.74" of rain for the month now. Yesterday was really nice, many heavy downpours throughout the day with 0.70" total. Already up to 37.21" of rain for the water year.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Been watching a flash freeze situation in the Twin Cities this morning... as temps have crashed back into the low to mid 20s with heavy snow in the wrap around behind the big storm.    Temps have fallen into the teens in western MN and the single digits in the Dakotas which is pretty impressive for the middle of the day when its almost April.    Some places might go below zero tonight.  

C30137.jpg

I was laughed at when I said the unending torch for the upper Midwest was coming to an end a couple weeks ago.

WELL WHAT NOW, LAUGHERS!?!

• Like 1
  • Weenie 4

A forum for the end of the world.

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

Color me skeptical. My hunch is there was a short circuit and/or power failure that somehow caused a malfunction of the steering mechanism(s). Exactly how, I have no clue as I know next to nothing about  ships.

This is disappointing. I was expecting you to share a story of that time you nearly died in a shipping accident.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 2
  • Popcorn 2

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

Thank god it was 130AM. If this had happened during rush hour…I don’t even want to think about it.

The ship sent a mayday signal and the city was able to stop most of the traffic from crossing. This wasn't an intentional attack. 

• Like 2

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

15 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Was mostly cloudy in Texas for the eclipse, not an amazing run. But it was super clear in Arkansas for the eclipse, I guess that's always a good backup plan.

I'll be in Arkansas

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • bongocat-test 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

9 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I was laughed at when I said the unending torch for the upper Midwest was coming to an end a couple weeks ago.

WELL WHAT NOW, LAUGHERS!?!

I have a feeling some of the laughs may have been more to do with your often downplaying of historic warmth. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Got back early this morning. Amazing how much it greened up since last Thursday. And one of my artichokes came up! I thought the Jan cold snap finished them off.

Just in the last couple days the cottonwoods behind our house have started leafing out.    Lots of trees leafing out in North Bend now.    I feel sorry for Andrew whose endlessly nourished trees have to wait another 3 months to show signs of life.  :(

• lol 1
  • Sad 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

30 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

I’m not on the Climate disaster freight train. But the +9.4F winter that Canada just put up is hard to brush aside. 

they don't believe you, their heads are firmly in the ground and/or up their assses

• Weenie 3

1 hour ago, iFred said:

Working on code while outside under a porch with a hot cup of coffee, yes.
Going for a walk in the drizzle to enjoy a lush summer or a vibrant and crisp fall, yes.
Sleeping with the window open to hear natures white noise machine, yes.
Sitting around a roaring campfire in gortex, drinking a niced spiced tea, sharing stories, all while a summer shower is muddying up the surroundings, yes.

1st and 3rd one hardly count as outdoor "activities". 2nd one is basically the same point I already made about hiking but with more words. 4th one is fair, but I'd say it's even more enjoyable sitting around a camp fire, looking at the stars, the moon light, and having some nice smores in the dry summer air.

Still is minority, NOT majority. Just give up already yall, you know my opinions and preferences are the only valid ones and I am the most correct person in the world and there is no right opinion until there is my opinion, same goes for preferences.

• Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Facepalm 1

Decent day here at Mt Bachelor, pretty busy here for being a week day, lot of people here for some spring break powder. Conditions are decent at mid mountain but the snow is kinda meh down at the base, but meh snow is the norm here because we are in the land of cascade cement.

Today would've been a great day for the solar eclipse, almost completely clear for the whole path of totality, except for some clouds near the border and some upper clouds on the NW Edge of totality. Completely clear skies for where I plan to view. Also never realized until today how well you can see Dallas-Fortworth, Houston, and the I-35 strip from Austin to San Antonio on the satellite.COD-GOES-East-subregional-Texas.truecolor.20240326.183615-overmap-barsnone.thumb.gif.594c9fd300f6f1f875fc66855a4b57b8.gif

• Spam 1

1 hour ago, ShawniganLake said:

I’m not on the Climate disaster freight train. But the +9.4F winter that Canada just put up is hard to brush aside. 

No doubt. Near perfect, persistent pattern for warmth during a raging mega Nino and with record warm global temps, it all adds up.

DWImb35eAc.png

• Excited 1
  • Facepalm 1

30 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

1st and 3rd one hardly count as outdoor "activities". 2nd one is basically the same point I already made about hiking but with more words. 4th one is fair, but I'd say it's even more enjoyable sitting around a camp fire, looking at the stars, the moon light, and having some nice smores in the dry summer air.

Still is minority, NOT majority. Just give up already yall, you know my opinions and preferences are the only valid ones and I am the most correct person in the world and there is no right opinion until there is my opinion, same goes for preferences.

Enjoy the ban. Should free up more time for outdoor activities.

• Thanks 1
  • Excited 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Sun 1
  • scream 2
  • Weenie 1
  • Shivering 1

18 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Today would've been a great day for the solar eclipse, almost completely clear for the whole path of totality, except for some clouds near the border and some upper clouds on the NW Edge of totality. Completely clear skies for where I plan to view. Also never realized until today how well you can see Dallas-Fortworth, Houston, and the I-35 strip from Austin to San Antonio on the satellite.COD-GOES-East-subregional-Texas.truecolor.20240326.183615-overmap-barsnone.thumb.gif.594c9fd300f6f1f875fc66855a4b57b8.gif

Thanks to the strong cold front. Gotta hope for something similar if you're headed down south for the 

Screenshot 2024-03-26 132850.png

• Excited 1

Euro and GFS both get quite chilly day 8-10.

522 thicknesses, 850's around -6 and some foothill snow.

• Like 7

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Just now, bainbridgekid said:

Euro and GFS both get quite chilly day 8-10. 850's around -6 and some foothill snow.

Yeah, the 12z Euro isn't nearly as aggressive as yesterday's with the trough after the brief ridge, but continues the theme of just a couple warm days and then a crash.

5 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Quite possible the "full steam" as evidenced by the large black smoke plume was them throwing it into full reverse to try to get slowed down if not stopped.  Those big ships absolutely do not stop or turn on a dime.

Also, they probably lost rudder control if they lost power.  I think those ships are single screw ships, but if it was a twin screw, then if they only got one of the engines back on line, that would have caused the hard turn assuming they went full power reverse.

Just watched a video by someone in the shipping industry, and he pointed out that when you throw a single screw ship hard in reverse, the stern will walk sideways and turn the ship (I had forgotten about that.)   That also takes water water flow off the rudder, so it loses its effectiveness.  He said in all likelihood if they had left it in neutral and steered (assuming they had rudder control) they might have been able to avoid hitting the bridge.  There are pilings around the pier, and maybe they would have held up to a glancing blow.

It almost sounds like a Titanic type situation.  I've read that if the Titanic had not turned, it would have hit the iceberg head on.   The forward 1-2 bulkheads would have been compromised but most likely the ship would have stayed afloat, or at a minimum stayed afloat long enough to evacuate to another ship

Also, it looks like the crew in Baltimore dropped the port anchor in an effort to get stopped, which is a common practice.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Yeah might be a good storm to watch out here, big waves and gusts forecasted up to 40mph Thursday. Currently partly cloudy and 51 😎 

• Like 3
  • Windy 1

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

Getting some hail here right now. 

• Like 3
  • Storm 1
  • Shivering 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

7 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

The occasional downpour with hail falling in my office this afternoon.  Sun is out now. 

Genoa Bay BC

IMG_8306.jpeg

Is that a putting green? 

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

16 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Is that a putting green? 

Yes. Artificial turf though.  He just has rocks covering the holes when they aren’t there.  And then he has a driving range mat to hit used golf balls out into the ocean.   

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

15 hours ago, Phil said:

Wtf the Francis Scott key bridge just collapsed into the Chesapeake. That’s like the American Legion Bridge of Baltimore..going to be many lives lost.

14 hours ago, Deweydog said:

My wife closes her eyes and holds her breath every time we cross the Lewis and Clark Bridge in Longview. This will not help.  

Man that’s scary! I remember seeing the Minnesota bridge collapse in the news. Before they redid the Sellwood bridge out here I would always have anxiety crossing it and would always try and speed up to get off the bridge ASAP. It was considered one of the most dangerous bridges in the world at the time and people were saying it could collapse at any moment. Now that they replaced it in 2016 it’s the only bridge here that can withstand a Cascadia Subduction Zone 9.0 earthquake. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Sorry, Tim. 😪

eps-fast_z500a_namer_11.png

LOL

It gets better immediately after day 10 and that pattern shown on your map could be a ULL sliding through CA in reality which is usually not too bad up here.  

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-2750400.png

• Like 2
  • Excited 1