New Year's Weekend Potential Major Winter Storm

Scott26

I hate Omaha.  

We moved here (From Georgia...we were there for 8 years and I am originally from Florida) 4 years ago.  I remember asking the one person I knew who lived here when we found out that we would be moving here if Omaha got a lot of snow and she told me yes and sent me pictures of copious amounts of snow and told me stories about a lot of snow.  

Well, apparently.....my mere presence in Omaha has made it stop snowing...    I THINK I like snow...but...I don't think I have seen enough to KNOW if I like snow.  

**Rant over. 

Will the ratios be 10:1?

More than likely higher for your area.

If you get snow it will be fluffy. Could be 20:1 out that way.

---

Yeah Para-GFS has definitely swung south a bit.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

unreal.  never seen such a big switch one way or the other this close. makes one wonder why we even look at 48+ hours out on snowfall data. Feel like the Cubs-- always next year as even this year looks very bleak even this early.

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I would not doubt this changes again with the 00z runs later tonight. This year, you can't believe a model until about 12 hours before the storm actually hits - At least it seems that way lately.

Once they go back to strung out leas phasing they have stayed there though

Very sloppy storm on the way. I'm suppose to get 1 to 2 inches of snowfall, followed by freezing rain and sleet for a couple of hours and finally plain rain. Im glad it will rain, so that it can wash away the ice accumulation. Ugh....what a messy storm! Should be excited to track though. :D

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Thinking the models were over doing the strength of the system yesterday and pushing it to the NW. Now we've got a south trending waves.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Man, this is just crazy how wild the swings have been on the model runs for this storm as well as the last one. If this southeast trend continues then a lot of areas that were supposed to see snow a couple days ago might be shutout. Heck, Chicago was expecting mostly rain and now it could be possible we could get a few inches out of this. I know the Mets are probably pulling their hair out again trying to figure out what the heck is going to happen.

• Like 1

Thinking the models were over doing the strength of the system yesterday and pushing it to the NW. Now we've got a south trending waves.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2015010212/gfsp_asnow_eus_11.png

First time poster, long time lurker.

Seems common, models move 2-3 days out only to come back to their original spot.

12z Euro took a slight shift SE and now takes the SLP up towards E IN...the first map on the Euro I'm posting is probably freezing rain/mix, then a secondary wave develops on the Euro bringing accumulating snows for E IA/N IL/S WI/MI...best guess is maybe 2-4" for N IL/S WI.

• Like 1

It the SE trend continues, I might be looking at more snow than mix that goes to rain. That goes true for the Chicago area too. I believe this storm might have major surprises ahead.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

12z Euro took a slight shift SE and now takes the SLP up towards E IN...the first map on the Euro I'm posting is probably freezing rain/mix, then a secondary wave develops on the Euro bringing accumulating snows for E IA/N IL/S WI/MI...best guess is maybe 2-4" for N IL/S WI.

Yup, 850's don't get below zero until hour 42 so anything before that is likely a rain/mix. 2-4 inches would probably be right based on that run.

• Like 1