November 2015 Observations and Discussion

Geos

Been saying it and seeing this possible evolution coming for a long time. Yes, the coldest maps you will see at the fantasy ranges are most likely overdone (so are the warmest) but I still hold position that a torch December is looking less and less likely every day. So once again, follow the progression.

If we do get arctic shots this season, I think it has to happen when the EPO tanks and I can see that happening occasionally this season as the warm waters will be present in the NE PAC and we have seen it the past 2 winter seasons.  I just want to see the blocking hook over the top and see both the AO/NAO go negative so we can slow down the pattern and blow up monster storm systems.  

I'll probably start a storm thread in the morning. I'm almost convinced that this storm will happen somewhere across the corn belt and southern GL's.

GFS Wxbell map. Snagged it from Amwx - don't have any others further west.

post-266-0-50293000-1447734639.png

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

If we do get arctic shots this season, I think it has to happen when the EPO tanks and I can see that happening occasionally this season as the warm waters will be present in the NE PAC and we have seen it the past 2 winter seasons. I just want to see the blocking hook over the top and see both the AO/NAO go negative so we can slow down the pattern and blow up monster storm systems.

I still think that the AO/NAO will be negative sooner rather than later as well. It's another necessary part of the pattern evolution in my opinion. If I'm wrong then I'm perfectly ok with admitting I am.

• Like 1

I still think that the AO/NAO will be negative sooner rather than later as well. It's another necessary part of the pattern evolution in my opinion. If I'm wrong then I'm perfectly ok with admitting I am.

Ditto, I value those who actually put the time and effort into researching and analyzing the pattern.  Nobody is perfect, but its fun trying to use different theories/pattern recognition techniques to forecast both short/long term weather patterns.

If we do get arctic shots this season, I think it has to happen when the EPO tanks and I can see that happening occasionally this season as the warm waters will be present in the NE PAC and we have seen it the past 2 winter seasons.  I just want to see the blocking hook over the top and see both the AO/NAO go negative so we can slow down the pattern and blow up monster storm systems.  

One thing we need is the hook over the top or at least the Alaskan ridge to build over the state. Need to dislodge/split up that polar vortex in the stratosphere in the next couple weeks. 

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Anyone buying the warm look the GFS has for late Nov? That would be a huge waste of that Thanksgiving storm.

None, EPO will be in the tank and both AO/NAO won't be sky high.  I am a bit concerned around here but farther west like your region and the Plains have a shot at a good system.

One thing we need is the hook over the top or at least the Alaskan ridge to build over the state. Need to dislodge/split up that polar vortex in the stratosphere in the next couple weeks. 

Unlike last year and the year before, we haven't really seen too much warming in the stratosphere this season...I don't see too many Polar Vortex intrusions, but moreso, very strong Arctic HP's instead...

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/intraseasonal/temp30anim.gif

According to the newest installment of the JMA, this may be what it is showing. Has a NW to SE tilt to the Aleutian low which would most likely pull the ridge back over the top.

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/4mE/map1/zpcmap.php

• Like 1

Neat Tweet from the astronaut Scott Kelly...can you spot the Great Lakes???

CT8HOfZWUAAByBz.jpg

00z Euro Ensembles for the system around Thanksgiving Day showing more snowy runs from the Plains/Midwest/Lakes.  Week 2 starting to show more troughing in the southern Plains.

@ OKwx2k4, there are signs your Winter season may be starting very late this month.

• Like 3

12z GFS long range....Brutal!   :lol:

If that is what ends up happening, Euro Ensembles and East Asian Theory will have worked out like a charm.  Let's see. 

Edit: Another off the charts -EPO run.

Where are you finding the charts at? I know they are on Weatherbell... but any free sites?

Mercer Island, 350 ft