December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

I do want to point out that the more westward track and precip hanging around longer for Sunday was caught by the NAVGEM long before the other models. It also had the correct low track with the December 14th strom. The model might possibly be more useful in the short to medium range than it is given credit for.

Hmmm..................

Juneau NWS

The Alaskan Shortwave has a jet in excess of 140kts feeding it. That could lead to a stronger system sliding down BC Coast tonight and tomorrow.

If so, look for 18z, and 00z runs to carve the trough out a bit better along the central BC Coast (12z runs did just that to an extent)

Best news today (mainly because we can actually track this). Looking forward to the 18z!

Looking at current 500mb obs you can see the cut-off low has fully formed and starting to head west the past few frames. Also can look at the shortwave at the top of our ridge starting to head around it.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/images/sat_upr/201612301800_500mb.gif

Yup. Shortwave is near Anchorage. Timing has moved ahead. I can see it on IR/WV Loops

I do want to point out that the more westward track and precip hanging around longer for Sunday was caught by the NAVGEM long before the other models. It also had the correct low track with the December 14th strom. The model might possibly be more useful in the short to medium range than it is given credit for.

Go Canadian Navy!

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

General hemispheric progression @ 500mb. 12z Euro look realistic, to you?

Yeah, it look reasonable to me. Things could also evolve in a somewhat different, less amplified manner. Minor perturbations can be quite influential in a pattern like this.

Yeah, it look reasonable to me. Things could also evolve in a somewhat different, less amplified manner. Minor perturbations can be quite influential in a pattern like this.

You'd think now would be the time to spitball a "December 2008 only snowier" extremecast.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

You'd think now would be the time spitball a "December 2008 only snowier" extremecast.

No point in making mistakes if you don't learn from them.

SEA nws still has BLI near 30 all week with lows near 20. id knock that down 5 degrees at least.

I concur. NAM and WRF has Abbotsford/north Whatcom in single digits for Monday night/Tuesday morning. 

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/nammeteograms/images/711080.meteogram.gif

PDX NWS going for T-1 inch for the metro on Sunday. A widespread inch is probably still pretty unlikely but I think a good dusting for everyone is looking good. 

"Again, snow accumulations will vary, especially as the precipitation

turns more showery on Sunday. So, total accumulations for Sunday
through Sunday night: 1 to 3 inches for the Coast Range/Willapa
Hills, and half inch or less on Coastal lowlands. Interior valleys
and I-5 Corridor will get a trace to 1 inch with up to 2 inches in
the higher hills, with 1 to 3 inches in the Columbia Gorge. Generally
3 to 6 inches for foothills of Cascades, and 5 to 12 inches in high
Cascades. /Rockey."

Quick question. It's hard for some of us to get Euro precipitation estimates. I've been looking at the yr.no site that gives point forecast estimates, but I have no idea if they're accurate or not. They do seem awfully precise. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the site. Here's the latest Vancouver forecast. Seems reasonable I suppose.

https://www.yr.no/place/Canada/British_Columbia/Vancouver/long.html

The ECMWF ensemble is in-freeking-sane! Colder than the 0z ensemble and a perfect signature for snow at the 500mb level. The mean heights are shown to be 528 or so for the Seattle area in the 10 to 12 day period. Incredible for a mean that far out!

The operational ECMWF showed over 2 inches of snow for this area tomorrow night, and a total of 9 inches through day 8 or so. This is looking potentially incredible.

I've been telling people this January has a realistic shot at being the coldest in 50 years. That kind of puts a concerned look on their faces.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9