2/28-3/2 Potential Storm

Money

The ULL will be approaching S Cali later tonight so I expect 00z runs to have better sampling...Saturday 12z runs may even have some surprises as well.  Models tend to have a bias on holding energy back in the SW longer than expected which can have an impact in the overall track.  Interested to see 12z Euro run today if it jogs north or south.  BTW, this is almost a carbon copy of the Jan 4-5th storm.

It still is amazing to me that a 980mb low weakens so much as it heads east. If this baby can come out stronger then we have a better chance of the main wave to come north no matter how strong the PV but if it the modeling is currently correct then we need that PV to be farther north like the 6z GFS was showing. I believe the northern stream has everything to do with why the models are wobbling all over the place.

As Tom alluded to we will have partial sampling on the 0z runs and should have full sampling tomorrow 12z. A fun 24hrs ahead and I still believe the models will trend farther north but not sure how far north it can go.

GGEM and UKMET latest runs actually went north versus earlier runs. An improvement.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Euro is radically drier along the I-80 corridor than any other model.  The Saturday wave is very solid on the nam/gfs/gem/uk, but just abysmal on the Euro.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Not going to lie I laughed hysterically at the man smashing the computer hahaha, as well as the YOU GET NOTHING! I still dislike the way models are handling this system, but I have a feeling the Southern trend is the way to go. We have had our fair share of storms this winter, but to be honest if this isn't going to be 12" event I don't want it! Bold statement I know but that's the way I feel at this time of the year.

I'll start paying attention to high rez models for 00z runs tonight and see if there are any shifts.  Current thinking is if the ULL can eject out faster out of the SW it can jog north, if it holds back, then the heavier snowfall will be suppressed.  If forecasts hold the way there are right now, I would say 3-6" with locally more lakeside for N IL.

Here is JB's take on the modeling:

February 28 01:50 PM

There is a two fold problem with the storm that renders the model snow amounts questionable at best. That does not mean they cant be right. But what we are seeing here is the model jumping on a front impulse and pushing more cold air, and by doing so pushing the snow south.

This could be the start of a trend, or perhaps not, a glich so to speak. I really cant tell at this time, and have to watch it. The feedback of the front running system could be an error. For one, the GFS loves to do that. For 2 the ECWMF is weak on systems moving out of the southwest. What may be happening is both errors are at play here. The modeling 2-3 days away tends to have problems. What is interesting is the 2 models most far south yesterday, the Canadian and WRF have shifted north. So the reduction of liquid is problem one ( actually the push south)

Overnight look off the coast:
http://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-266-0-88659600-1393614995.jpg

Another satellite image:
http://climate.cod.edu/data/satellite/regional/southwest/current/southwest.ir.gif

Doesn't this thing just look powerful?

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

2nd wave is our best chance here. Looking at upper temps,jet stream and wind profiles. I dont see how that third wave can come north at all. And from what i can tell that low pressure off the coast of cali never really makes it to far inland before it gets shattered, all i see that low doing for us is feeding moister into the trough that is forming these disturbances. That low and high pressure in canada is like a giant block and it slides south/east over the next 3-4 days. Pushing everything south with it.

how does that sound? cause i know nothing really.lol , only what i have observed from several models.

Overnight look off the coast:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-266-0-88659600-1393614995.jpg

Another satellite image:

http://climate.cod.edu/data/satellite/regional/southwest/current/southwest.ir.gif

Doesn't this thing just look powerful?

This thing looks like a beast! I'm still not jumping on any model until this thing comes to shore tonight. Just can't leave model to model, on another note I wouldn't be surprised if this thing stays south as that has been the case all winter long with these types of systems.