PNW December 2022, winter might be coming; but mostly canceled.

The Blob

1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

When I saw that convective banding was going to be involved on the northern flank, I seriously began to wonder if this would become an overperformer for the south Sound.

Clearly it has, and as this thing continues to advance north, I'm speculating now that I might be clipped by an inch or so of the stuff.

I think we could end up with a couple more inches here. That nam run that showed 4” here yesterday May have been right 😂 it’s snowing much further north than I thought. 

• Like 1

Just now, SnowWillarrive said:

Pretty much entire east king county past HWY 18 really missing out. weird because a few miles to the west it is dumping.  Is down-sloping killing the precip? 

100% yes.

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

When I saw that convective banding was going to be involved on the northern flank, I seriously began to wonder if this would become an overperformer for the south Sound.

Clearly it has, and as this thing continues to advance north, I'm speculating now that I might be clipped by an inch or so of the stuff.

Is it still snowing there? Rain zone is sandwiched in between the snow it seems, me being in the rain zone.

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

Michael Snyder is posting some epic pics in the Twitter GC. They're of his own home/neighborhood so I'm inclined to not post them here until he publically does so, but the inportant message is that it is snowing and accumulating as far north as KSEA and west Seattle.

• Like 7

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Oh boy…lol down here that is a bad call. Sure it was 39 at 9am…snowing even north of here now.

122FF9AB-6FA8-4A0A-B083-49283CCE153F.jpeg

That was a horrible call.  The models were emphatic the afternoon temps would be low to mid 30s.  Terrible.  Even here it's 35 now.

That call on afternoon temps is bordering on malpractice IMO.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Today was a flop of the highest order here.  East wind kept it fairly warm all night so I blew my shot at a sub 40 high, could very well end up with a low above freezing, and somehow managed to get no snow.  Epic fail given the situation.

Keeps getting more strange! Since when does tacoma get snow and not you? Even in the swamp!!! Wtf man I feel for ya buddy.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Keeps getting more strange! Since when does tacoma get snow and not you? Even in the swamp!!! Wtf man I feel for ya buddy.

This one is just a train wreck.  My temps being ruined by the wind last night is almost as disappointing as seeing it snow 3 inches less than 10 miles from here.

Some people on here would have loved the roaring wind I had last night, but I see more than enough of that.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The moisture has not really been the issue after all. Been snowing all morning and afternoon and pretty decent rates since noon but it is just 1-2F too warm. I'm down to 33F now but just have a quarter inch or so on grass, cars, roofs, etc. Can't really get any cooler as we've maxed out the evaporative cooling potential and the steady precip is probably going to end soon. I was a bit concerned when most of the metro area was still in the upper 30s last night and I guess we missed by just a degree or two. 

The season is young and I am thankful we got hours of pretty snowfall during the holiday season but it is also frustrating that this was so close to being a widespread couple of inches for the whole PDX metro. Too bad the basin wasn't just a bit colder. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Drunk Bastard Day 1 (4-run trend)

trend-gfs-2022120418-f024.500h_anom.na.gif

So much potential. 

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

That was a horrible call.  The models were emphatic the afternoon temps would be low to mid 30s.  Terrible.  Even here it's 35 now.

That call on afternoon temps is bordering on malpractice IMO.

This last week has been the worst I can ever remember the nws doing. I mean a few nights ago it was just pounding out here with thunder snow and I wasn't even under a advisory lol. Today was not that hard of a forecast.  Even yesterday every model was showing 1-2 inches was very possible Seattle area south. Another thing I noticed was there wasn't even a special weather statement last week talking about all the possibilities there was. They did that all the time in the old day's.  The new crew in the office just do not have the skill set some of the older nws guys had is the only thing I can think of.

• Like 5

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Light chunky rain in Roosevelt/Ravenna. Once in awhile there’s a very deformed flake. I am not too hopeful. I need another 100’ elevation.

Usually my location completely misses out in these marginal events, unless it’s convergence zone based. So at least I’ve done better than usual. 

• Like 1

2022-23 Winter:

11/29: .25" + 1" = 1.25" | 11/30: .25"

12/2: .2" + .5" = .7" | 12/3: .2" | 12/4: trace

12/18: .4" | 12/19: .2" + .8" = 1.0" | 12/20: .2 + 1.5" = 1.7

1/31: trace | 2/14: trace | 2/22: .2 | 2/26: 1.0"

Total: 6.7"

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

This last week has been the worst I can ever remember the nws doing. I mean a few nights ago it was just pounding out here with thunder snow and I wasn't even under a advisory lol. Today was not that hard of a forecast.  Even yesterday every model was showing 1-2 inches was very possible Seattle area south. Another thing I noticed was there wasn't even a special weather statement last week talking about all the possibilities there was. They did that all the time in the old day's.  The new crew in the office just do not have the skill set some of the older nws guys had is the only thing I can think of.

Great points.  There should have been a statement about all of the chances coming up.  Them saying today might have afternoon temps in the mid 40s though is a fail on another level.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, Ice_is_Everywhere said:

Precip is the heaviest it’s been all day, temp is 34, dp is 32, and it’s raining. I hate weather sometimes.

I feel this. Same thing in Belltown. Our ship will come in eventually! :)

3 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Day 2 (4-run trend) I know it won't get here, but the PV/arctic trough has trended a few notches closer to Northeast Washington.

trend-gfs-2022120418-f048.500h_anom.na.gif

Looks like the next ridge developing in the North Pacific is also trending slightly west, so I'm not sure we would want that PV lobe to get too close to us for better developments later on. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ice_is_Everywhere said:

Precip is the heaviest it’s been all day, temp is 34, dp is 32, and it’s raining. I hate weather sometimes.

Oh how I know what you mean.

I'm ok with today since this past week was pretty good, but there are times in the past...

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

8 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

The moisture has not really been the issue after all. Been snowing all morning and afternoon and pretty decent rates since noon but it is just 1-2F too warm. I'm down to 33F now but just have a quarter inch or so on grass, cars, roofs, etc. Can't really get any cooler as we've maxed out the evaporative cooling potential and the steady precip is probably going to end soon. I was a bit concerned when most of the metro area was still in the upper 30s last night and I guess we missed by just a degree or two. 

The season is young and I am thankful we got hours of pretty snowfall during the holiday season but it is also frustrating that this was so close to being a widespread couple of inches for the whole PDX metro. Too bad the basin wasn't just a bit colder. 

Yeah was also very skeptical seeing that basin temps were very unimpressive and PDX was basically 41F all night. It was still 38 here when precipitation started. Bottomed out at 32.9