PNW December 2022, winter might be coming; but mostly canceled.

The Blob

image.png

Looks like plenty of potential for wet snow in the north interior/lower mainland this coming week. Multiple situations where fronts landing onshore benefit enough from isentropic lift to overcome downsloping off Vancouver Island, allowing for heavy precipitation that lowers snow levels while sfc gradients remain weakly offshore due to the incoming lows. Classic setups. Usually occurs a few times a winter, but it could happen multiple times this *week*.

• Like 6

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

3 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Snow mixing in now.

Looks like the main band is starting to move S overall and the precip in the central/south Puget sound is starting to wrap up. Light rain now but looks like your window is now starting to open up. Really fun afternoon here hopefully you can score too. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

image.png

Looks like plenty of potential for wet snow in the north interior/lower mainland this coming week. Multiple situations where fronts landing onshore benefit enough from isentropic lift to overcome downsloping off Vancouver Island, allowing for heavy precipitation that lowers snow levels while sfc gradients remain weakly offshore due to the incoming lows. Classic setups. Usually occurs a few times a winter, but it could happen multiple times this *week*.

This is exactly how I got so much snow in 2007. I'd trade the wet crap I will be getting for a region wide couple inches of powder any time. 

• Like 6

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

4 minutes ago, Winterdog said:

Looks like I will top out at 33 today after a low of 24.  No precip at all.  Sorry to see things wrapping up down south.  

Next Events gonna be region wide. MBG! Interesting how all the talk of the south Puget sound donut hole before the event started… then in the end overall we were the big winners this week. Even got our own WWA 😂

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, gusky said:

Seriously, what's the problem at NWS Seattle this week? Understaffing? A lot of what's happened is not their fault (just super difficult forecasts), but there have been some noticeable errors as well.

Rich Marriott took them hostage.

• lol 6

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Next Events gonna be region wide. MBG! Interesting how all the talk of the south Puget sound donut hole before the event started… then in the end overall we were the big winners this week. Even got our own WWA 😂

To be fair it snowed more out here this past week. But yes the swamp did redeem itself today. 

8 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Day 10

500h_anom.na.png

Judah special on the GFS. :P Almost makes me wish I was back east. But honestly, not a bad block for us at the end there. Something could happen, although I'd prefer if the east coast cashes in over the holidays and we lift the January curse.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Olive1010 said:

Guys is it possible for rain and snow to be falling at the same time?

Uh yes? The other night was a pure rain/snow mix that had large snowflakes and it accumulated into 0.3” slush. 

• Like 4

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

The snow blower is fun!! This electric unit will throw even wet snow 40-50 ft.

20221204_145230.jpg

20221204_145008.jpg

I out of reactions again.

I like this post!  

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

13 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

Looks great, have you measured ?

Up there eyeballing it about 3-4 inches maybe-- in my neighborhood, around 2.

• Like 4

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I out of reactions again.

I like this post!  

I knew you would!! Lol it's funny how we know who will like what on here. When I sent the pic I thought, Tim will like this because I know you enjoy the snow blower also. For anyone that's never done it. It's a strange satisfaction. 

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.