PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

11 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

This is looking more and more like a baby January 2012. Though probably a little colder.

I think the heights were a lot higher with that main event and the cold wasn't as entrenched as this will be.  Maybe kind of like the stuff that came before the big ice storm.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, joelgombiner said:

Also tracking obs in the Yukon. The current sea-level pressure of 1060 mb and with a temp of -40 at Dawson is pretty astounding. 

(The highest sea level pressure ever recorded on earth is 1083 mb.)

741647147_ScreenShot2022-12-17at4_48_50PM.png.369a37ed14678d57289d9ef5bbe6aa21.png

Dawson has a record low of minus 73 in February 1947.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

7 minutes ago, Cloud said:

A cold 37 for the "daytime" high today at SEA.  Expecting to warm up to near 40 through the evening though. 

The temp has actually started to drop here after a high of 36.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, Gradient Keeper said:

That looks like a great track for snow for PDX

It could happen.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I think the heights were a lot higher with that main event and the cold wasn't as entrenched as this will be.  Maybe kind of like the stuff that came before the big ice storm.

I always guage these outflows by Bellingham.  If they get in the upper teens with a 30 to 50mph wind this is going to be a good one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Totally could be, but I maintain people are sleeping on the late-week transition event possibility. Possibly because it'll be one of those Gorge reliant events

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

You can see the trough of low pressure circulation forming around Northern Vancouver Island. The features we have been tracking for a week are being born right now lol.

Satellite is showing good north to south progression with the front itself as well. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

You can see the trough of low pressure circulation forming around Northern Vancouver Island. The features we have been tracking for a week are being born right now lol.

Looks further west than modeled too.  I don't see that moving off to the east.  Looks classic to me.

• Like 4

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

Satellite is showing good north to south progression with the front itself as well. 

My gut feeling is tomorrow evening will be much more snow than models show. It will make a huge difference going into this with a already chilly airmass. The snow level in the interior sound is already around 500ft. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terreboner said:

Looks further west than modeled too.  I don't see that moving off to the east.  Looks classic to me.

Agreed.  It has a over performance look. I haven't been this confident since 2019 about places getting hit hard this week.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

It still amazes me that we are able to model the weather as well as we do… despite our high expectations. 

• Like 3

2022-23 Winter:

11/29: .25" + 1" = 1.25" | 11/30: .25"

12/2: .2" + .5" = .7" | 12/3: .2" | 12/4: trace

12/18: .4" | 12/19: .2" + .8" = 1.0" | 12/20: .2 + 1.5" = 1.7

1/31: trace | 2/14: trace | 2/22: .2 | 2/26: 1.0"

Total: 6.7"

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

My gut feeling is tomorrow evening will be much more snow than models show. It will make a huge difference going into this with an already chilly airmass. The snow level in the interior sound is already around 500ft. 

I think tomorrow evening will end up better than expected too. Though the best snow will come Tuesday I could see a more widespread than forecast light snowfall tomorrow night. 

• Like 1

Another slightly warmer run for the EPS before Tues, then colder for the Thurs period. That's the trend I'm noticing among most models RN1671559200-mNjCgakwCJo.png1671472800-W9LI7y7oLY0.png

• Like 4

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

20 minutes ago, joelgombiner said:

Also tracking obs in the Yukon. The current sea-level pressure of 1060 mb and with a temp of -40 at Dawson is pretty astounding. 

(The highest sea level pressure ever recorded on earth is 1083 mb.)

741647147_ScreenShot2022-12-17at4_48_50PM.png.369a37ed14678d57289d9ef5bbe6aa21.png

12z Euro shows Montana tying the lower 48 record of 1064 mb. Record is from December 1983 of course. 18z GFS shows us beating it with 1067 mb.

This airmass is packing a punch!

Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 8.13.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-17 at 8.14.16 PM.png

• Like 8
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

24 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Convergence getting its act together between Port Townsend and Mt. Vernon. Could get interesting soon up by Randy. @MossMan

Had a temp spike an hour ago to 34, down to 33.6 now with a mixture beginning, hopefully a complete turn back to snow will be shortly. 

• Snow 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, mtep said:

Radar is showing snow on the east side of town. Looks like Chewbacca might be getting in on the action. Im headed to my parents house in Sudden Valley soon, hopefully they also get the good stuff while im there.  

I used to live in Sudden Valley.   It was beautiful there when it snowed.  (Pretty nice in the Summer too).  

• Like 1

Something I've noticed, the NWS in the past would always have a special weather statement in advance of arctic air or moderate snow chances and lately that hasn't happened.  Although the models are better I believe they also swing more wildly than they did in the past probably due to the higher resolution causing more uncertainty in the 3-5 day time-frame. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

It looks like that at a glance but the our airmass just isn't that cold yet at that point. It is still in the upper 20s at The Dalles and the euro claims that the offshore gradient has not yet ramped up at that point. 

image.thumb.png.7eb9435f578d0454b45692f26d63dd0f.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shivering 1

22 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Totally could be, but I maintain people are sleeping on the late-week transition event possibility. Possibly because it'll be one of those Gorge reliant events

I don't think people are sleeping on it. I think that is probably our best bet and maybe only real chance of seeing anything out of this whole event. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Been Watching a chainsaw cold start video…Why…No clue. But it was entertaining. 

I bought the dewalt battery powered 20 inch bar saw to try out and it's a complete animal.  Cuts as good as my stihl ms280. Battery lasted 30 minutes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

I used to live in Sudden Valley.   It was beautiful there when it snowed.  (Pretty nice in the Summer too).  

Its a beautiful area and so much more affordable than anything in city limits right now. They have a nice lot that backs up to a creek and gets a relatively decent amount of sunlight. Got a little sketchy last november though. Like you said, amazing in the winter though!

Screenshot_20211114-191138_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20211114-191145_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20211114-214657_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

It looks like that at a glance but the our airmass just isn't that cold yet at that point. It is still in the upper 20s at The Dalles and the euro claims that the offshore gradient has not yet ramped up at that point. 

image.thumb.png.7eb9435f578d0454b45692f26d63dd0f.png

Is that a bit south from the 12z?

• Like 1

Looks like Mark is going for a total non-event (assuming he is the one forecasting tonight) Seems pretty bold to not have even a single day below 35 or any frozen precip next week but who knows. I’m fairly bearish about this event overall but a high in the low 30s Thursday and some ZR definitely seems possible.

46D4F923-6D6B-498A-BB41-1C2C29A6A747.jpeg

• Sad 2
  • Sick 2
  • Weenie 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes