PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

Not sure what the chances are for us here in Kitsap but I just got back from the store and there's a BIG bank of thick clouds to the north; I'm assuming that's all part of what we're watching move downward, right? 

Here at home it's bright sunshine, but we're still under 40 degrees. Very curious to see how this evening plays out.

1 hour ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

What the heck is that dot on the east slopes of Olympics. It has been there for 4 days in the models. I know it's from convergence but it is strange. It is lined up with my place so it might move more east. Very rare to have convergence here like that though.

I almost posted about this last night.  That much snow in Quilcene, and that much snow near say SODO with an empty hole over Kitsap looks real strange.  I don't think I believe it.

4 minutes ago, Cold Snap said:

JAYA does not seem to be on board. What’s funny is I think some people have already gotten way more than what these are showing.

He's probably one of the best Mets to come out of the Seattle nws. Guy knows his stuff and sure he's not always right but he's good. 

• Like 4

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

He's probably one of the best Mets to come out of the Seattle nws. Guy knows his stuff and sure he's not always right but he's good. 

Yeah definitely. I was more just stating the fact that one of those models shows Vancouver getting nothing while they already have gotten hammered with snow.

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

13 minutes ago, Cold Snap said:

JAYA does not seem to be on board. What’s funny is I think some people have already gotten way more than what these are showing.

Why would anyone ignore the ECMWF for what is happening in the next 24 hours?   They post tweets ripping on the short term models and then the next time they use those same models again and ignore the ECMWF.   🙄

• Like 8

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Why would anyone ignore the ECMWF for what is happening in the next 24 hours?   They post tweets ripping on the short term models and then the next time they use those same models again and ignore the ECMWF.   🙄

Seems illogical. 

Just now, TT-SEA said:

He is very good but generally leans towards climo. He ends up being right more often than not because of it but I agree with you.  

• Like 5

We were shooting some cans at my parent’s property southeast of Roy/Yelm and the temperatures felt like they dropped 5-10 degrees as snow fell for a quick trace before stopping. Hands are still numb lol 

• Like 3

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

1 minute ago, runninthruda206 said:

Need that band developing over everett to sink to N seattle and just chill there for a little while

Looks like some new bands are trying to develop over the central sound. NWS suggested it would snow between 2 and 3 PM in Seattle... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

He is very good but generally leans towards climo. He ends up being right more often than not because of it but I agree with you.  

I agree with leaning towards climo... but the ECMWF is the best guidance for same day weather.    And a c-zone is climo in this situation.   And we have seen the other short term models fail recently and often fail completely with arctic air moving southward into western WA.

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, joelgombiner said:

Looks like some new bands are trying to develop over the central sound. NWS suggested it would snow between 2 and 3 PM in Seattle... 

It's pretty well advertised in the models that tonight is the time for King County.  Exact details of course are impossible.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Cloudcover rapidly increasing over the city as radar begins to fill in.

• Like 3
  • Snow 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I agree with leaning towards climo... but the ECMWF is the best guidance for same day weather.    And a c-zone is climo in this situation.   And we have seen the other short term models fail recently and often fail completely with arctic air moving southward into western WA.

But climo in this case?  This is a highly abnormal setup.  

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Nam tracks the low from Aberdeen south through about Olympia. 

That would be very snowy from about Seattle northward.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Ended up with a generous inch before the snow stopped (although accurate snow measurements are impossible here when the wind is blowing like this). Just frigid NE wind for now. Looks to be some juiciness heading this way if the radar is to be believed. Will be interesting to see if it can overcome the outflow.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

But climo in this case?  This is a highly abnormal setup.  

A c-zone is climo when there is wind from the north and south meeting around Seattle... in any season.    That is what we have today.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Nam tracks the low from Aberdeen south through about Olympia. 

On Wednesday afternoon!   What day is that system happening?  😀

• Like 1