PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

Some flurries and 38F here with a dew point of 33F. Cold/dry air must be close because I wouldn't normally see snow with this.

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Totally agree, but the somewhat worrisome thing here is the delay in bringing the real cold into the Columbia River basin.

The weaker push of very cold air south on Monday/Tuesday, and the if the low Tuesday does indeed come in stronger and further north on Tuesday, is not what you want to see at this point.

Agree, for now the euro does seem to delay but does not deny impressive cold into the basin. I don't like that it strengthened that low on Tuesday since it messes up/delays the CAA. Hopefully that doesn't become a trend. 

• Like 5

Looks like the freezing rain threat is gone when the next band of moisture arrives on Saturday morning but this going to be a real mess in the gorge.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f-1904800.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_6hr_inch-1904800.png

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

I have never experienced a significant ice storm. How much does it take around here to cause big issues? 

I heard that a quarter inch and more starts doing damage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Not to throw more confusion into this but depending on how much cold air makes it into the sound through tomorrow really makes a difference on the Tues event. If more arctic air sinks south than what the euro is showing then even a track like the 12z would be ok for snow around tacoma Seattle and even if it did change to a mix it would be very short lived with the backwash dropping temps quickly.  If you blend everything together you would have a snow line a little south of tacoma west to a bit south of Shelton at this time.

Very good point 

Ended up with maybe a half inch this morning. Just enough to cover most surfaces. Im glad this will be sticking around until later in the week. Looking like Tuesday will be our next shot at greatness up here. 

Headed out to Squire Lake soon for a little snow hike. 😎

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Not to throw more confusion into this but depending on how much cold air makes it into the sound through tomorrow really makes a difference on the Tues event. If more arctic air sinks south than what the euro is showing then even a track like the 12z would be ok for snow around tacoma Seattle and even if it did change to a mix it would be very short lived with the backwash dropping temps quickly.  If you blend everything together you would have a snow line a little south of tacoma west to a bit south of Shelton at this time.

Yep, it is just so tough to get a real push of arctic air. This happens more often then not as it stays bottled up in the northern portion of the Puget Sound, and doesn't make it sound of Everett.  Hitting around 40 as a high on Tuesday in the central sound is a huge pullback if that goes as modeled and doesn't bode well for the next system being more than just some light frozen precip before a transition.

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I'm more concerned with how much cold air actually sinks south, been up since 2am worried about this lol. If we can get some outflow going down into the sound tonight we will be set up good for Tuesday. 

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

3 hours ago, LowerGarfield said:

@MWG staying warm enough down there? We considered moving to Medford but chose the Lewiston area since it was cheaper at the time.  My old employer, Blue Cross of Oregon has an office in Medford.  But we went with the office in Lewiston. Bit more snow in Lewiston and more where I am but Medford area is pretty. 

Not enough warm!! lol Medford is indeed pretty but yeah lack of snow and gets darn hot during summer and if there's fires near us we get all the smoke. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Wow! That is gonna be fun. 

What the heck is that dot on the east slopes of Olympics. It has been there for 4 days in the models. I know it's from convergence but it is strange. It is lined up with my place so it might move more east. Very rare to have convergence here like that though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

What the heck is that dot on the east slopes of Olympics. It has been there for 4 days in the models. I know it's from convergence but it is strange. It is lined up with my place so it might move more east. Very rare to have convergence here like that though.

Has to be the upslope.