PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

Just now, yellowstone said:

Just got a report from a friend in Bellingham the snow has started. 

Just got text from my mom and she said huge flakes falling... they live just north of Lake Whatcom.

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Note: this is just for the general pattern. 

But the GFS has been quite persistent with the return of the AL in la la land. Pretty much flipping the script we’ve been seeing. Would be quite interesting to see when we can get the block reconfigured again. 

trend-gfs-2022121812-f288.500h_anom.na.gif

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Note: this is just for the general pattern. 

But the GFS has been quite persistent with the return of the AL in la la land. Pretty much flipping the script we’ve been seeing. Would be quite interesting to see when we can get the block reconfigured again. 

trend-gfs-2022121812-f288.500h_anom.na.gif

Doesn’t seem like a persistent AL we have seen in past years. 

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Models are really starting to come into alignment on the powerful low level advection, settling for now on Wednesday evening. If it manages to dry outflow well into the 20’s, it could end up being one for the books.  Most models show upper level advection yielding thicknesses no lower than about 530dm with the pattern evolution. Having trouble finding any examples of such a gradient with PDX temps advecting below 25 or so.

February 2021 dropped PDX to an impressive 24 with the precip dynamic, however in all likelihood that would have been temps about five degrees warmer in dry outflow scenario. 

January 2004, which still might be the best overall analog had thicknesses drop to 521dm with 850mb temps down to -10c or so at onset, plus the low level push was a bit more incremental.

Others like December 1995 and January 2005 were much weaker than currently progged when it comes to low level advection and probably at the bottom (top?) end of the spectrum of possibilities. 

• Like 7

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Just now, Front Ranger said:

I believe the WRF has been fairly useless in Arctic front situations, yeah?

Yes... but not sure this is an arctic front down here.    Its not like there will be a north wind and cold air pouring in down here tonight.   The ECMWF shows a SW wind in Seattle even tomorrow.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just realized. This is another cold/snow event starting on a Sunday. Others in recent years:

Super Bowl 2017

Super Bowl 2019

January 2020

December 2021

The only notable event that didn’t begin on a Sunday in recent years was February 2021. Super random but an odd fun fact.

• Like 5

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

5 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Models are really starting to come into alignment on the powerful low level advection, settling for now on Wednesday evening. If it manages to dry outflow well into the 20’s, it could end up being one for the books.  Most models show upper level advection yielding thicknesses no lower than about 530dm with the pattern evolution. Having trouble finding any examples of such a gradient with PDX temps advecting below 25 or so.

February 2021 dropped PDX to an impressive 24 with the precip dynamic, however in all likelihood that would have been temps about five degrees warmer in dry outflow scenario. 

January 2004, which still might be the best overall analog had thicknesses drop to 521dm with 850mb temps down to -10c or so at onset, plus the low level push was a bit more incremental.

Others like December 1995 and January 2005 were much weaker than currently progged when it comes to low level advection and probably at the bottom (top?) end of the spectrum of possibilities. 

How was late December 1968 in the upper levels? I know that was a low level beast spawned by somewhat of a glancing blow to our NE, but I would imagine it probably had better upper level support at some point?

• Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

35 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Wow, Williams Lake in southern BC is already down to -10. And should stay below 0 for at least the next 96 hours.

I see Environment Canada has issued an extreme cold warning for the region. Seems pretty rare.

Clinton is -14 with a windchill of -40, they are south of Williams Lake

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

How was late December 1968 in the upper levels? I know that was a low level beast spawned by somewhat of a glancing blow to our NE, but I would imagine it probably had better upper level support at some point?

Yeah, 850’s dropped to around -13c with that on the 29th I believe, but it isn’t a terrible analog. That thing lost it’s blocking support pretty early on and ended up racing eastward once it made it just south of the border followed by a decent undercut/-EPO period.

• Like 4

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.