PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

2 hours ago, Terreboner said:

You're going to get killed up there.  I would guess .5-.75 of ice at your place, minimum.

🤧 definitely not liking the trends towards what is essentially a classic impactful ice storm for the metro area 

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

2 minutes ago, HuskyMaestro said:

Can't remember which one, maybe KIRO7, but they turned their weather segments into a fast 60 second segment with the Met trying to break it down as fast as they can. Made me really sad because normies probably tuned out or slept through the more in-depth analysis (that was still intended for basic understanding) with the maps and low/high pressures, or they only cared about how the meteorologist looked. 

That is sad because my weather geek ways began with Harry Wappler, and we didn't have the internet back then. If you were excited for snow, all you could do was watch TV news segments at 5 and 11, call the hourly observation hotline at the NWS, look at the sky, then listen to AM radio at night to hear people call in with their snow reports. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

🇨🇦 My fellow Canadian neighbors... I am coming to a realization... and please let me know if I am wrong.... but your local news websites absolutely stink if you want weather information.  I have been using CTV Vancouver, CBC BC, and CBC Vancouver / Victoria, Global BC, Citytv, and... like... beyond just a 7 day forecast, there is next to nothing about weather.  Most don't even show radar or have write-ups.  One did have a radar, but it looks like it came from 1985.  Most websites don't even have a weather tab or just hide it as a small single line with the current temp. Am I just not looking at the right local news stations, or does the local weather reports (at least online) really stink that badly?  

I don't use any of them for weather anymore. I think Mark Madryga is pretty good, you can tell he gets into these events. Otherwise they're terrible, many make glaring mistakes and often treat events like this no different than sloppy overruns in terms of upcoming impact.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Requiem said:

🤧 definitely not liking the trends towards what is essentially a classic impactful ice storm for the metro area 

West hills will be one of the last areas outside of Portland city limits to thaw.  Probably be about the same duration as Gresham.

40 minutes ago, HuskyMaestro said:

It always feels like it's easier for subfreezing temps to verify in the Southeast where it's normally warmer and mild in the winter, how they can accurately predict these temps days beforehand. Whereas we always have to pull teeth and have the most sensitive and intricate setup around here for some snow and subfreezing lows while also watching out for rug pulls. 

Seattle still gets more snow than Atlanta, though.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

42 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Come on little guy, intensify and head right to the point of the arrow…You can do it!! (Actually my arrow is a little off…But you get the idea you little pocket of snowy goodness!! 

BACA0348-8BA1-4956-91C7-51B35B59AF5A.jpeg

Has to pass over me to get to you, so I second this request!

• Excited 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Mark Nelsen is still going for below freezing on Saturday.

7DayForecast(3).jpg

Saturday should dawn with the same frozen conditions for just about the entire I-5 corridor and metro area.  Freezing rain continues to fall at times Saturday in much of the metro area.  But at some point later in the day a warming southerly wind should push all areas except central/east metro above freezing.  As sun sets Christmas Eve, a general thaw should be in progress except in those areas.  But many areas could be out of power due to thick ice accumulation in the 48 hours before that time.

6 minutes ago, High Desert Mat? said:

Most of the snow? That massive half inch that’s coming? Lol. Just ribbin ya Jim. 

Going to be some serious power outages in PDX for sure.  Mark said basically freezing rain off and on for 48 hours, longer in east county.  Hope everyone has a generator ready to go.

Could get interesting here too for the next event.  Thursday should be fun at least :).

This Afternoon
Rain likely. Partly sunny, with a steady temperature around 43. South wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Tonight
Rain likely before 1am, then a chance of rain and snow. Snow level 4700 feet lowering to 3200 feet after midnight . Partly cloudy, with a low around 32. Southwest wind 6 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a temperature rising to near 34 by 10am, then falling to around 19 during the remainder of the day. North wind 7 to 9 mph.
Wednesday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3. Wind chill values as low as -8. North wind around 9 mph.
Thursday
Snow, mainly after 4pm. High near 15. North wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Thursday Night
Snow before 10pm, then snow likely, possibly mixed with freezing rain. Low around 7. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Friday
A chance of freezing rain before 1pm, then a slight chance of rain. Snow level 3600 feet rising to 5900 feet in the afternoon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Friday Night
A 30 percent chance of rain, mainly after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.
  • Like 4

Snowing again in N. Seattle. Quite light. Not being picked up by the radar really. 

My god though. 17" in Vancouver!? 12" in Victoria, 8"-10" in Bellingham? That's quite the storm. It's like a colder, more widespread, longer-lasting 2/21 up there.

• Like 2

2022-23 Winter:

11/29: .25" + 1" = 1.25" | 11/30: .25"

12/2: .2" + .5" = .7" | 12/3: .2" | 12/4: trace

12/18: .4" | 12/19: .2" + .8" = 1.0" | 12/20: .2 + 1.5" = 1.7

1/31: trace | 2/14: trace | 2/22: .2 | 2/26: 1.0"

Total: 6.7"