PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

7 minutes ago, MillCreekMike said:

When I was a kid it would never be a real snowstorm to me unless I couldn’t see a single blade of grass in my yard. I still kind of follow that rule to this day, but with the yards of other people.

That’s why you mow very short late in the fall. No ugly grass showing. 

1 minute ago, Hour364Please said:

hopefully i report in tomorrow with some snow.  

just hit 46 here

I was going to chime in similarly before I saw your post.

I’m also Puyallup (obviously, I suppose) and am sitting at 45/46, and looks like Auburn is also 45. I know we’re in the swamp but it seems so unlikely we’ll drop from 46 to snow in just a few hours, when forecasts are saying it will *warm up* as the front arrives.

This does not smell right to me. At all.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, PuyallupChris said:

I’m also Puyallup (obviously, I suppose) and am sitting at 45/46, and looks like Auburn is also 45. I know we’re in the swamp but it seems so unlikely we’ll drop from 46 to snow in just a few hours, when forecasts are saying it will *warm up* as the front arrives.

Trust the process.  LOL!

Dew points are low.  Hopefully precipitation rates are high and we get some wet bulb action.

This is going to be wild if it indeed does snow.  I had hoped the cloud cover would come in a bit later to allow for some cooling.

Jim the Wizard says it's going to snow and he knows stuff.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SnowySeeker50 said:

High of 46 today. Currently 44 degrees dp 20.

Mid 40s sure doesn't feel as warm as it sounds though.  Still many degrees below normal.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

46 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

My god, I am thinking I may need to run to stock on gas for the generator. This is the real deal. 

Yup, I've lived through patterns like this before here and it really might get crazy here the next 72hrs. I can already here the branches breaking from the snow.  I just got the gas for gen. 

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

7 minutes ago, Hour364Please said:

Trust the process.  LOL!

Dew points are low.  Hopefully precipitation rates are high and we get some wet bulb action.

This is going to be wild if it indeed does snow.  I had hoped the cloud cover would come in a bit later to allow for some cooling.

Jim the Wizard says it's going to snow and he knows stuff.

Trying! Dew point of 19, current temp 46… pretty wild stuff. I’m trying to trust the process but am not used to seeing so much reliance on a huge amount of evaporative cooling.

Feels much warmer now than when I took my kids outside at 10:30 AM.

12 minutes ago, PuyallupChris said:

The models showed it getting into the 40s today and it works out fine.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Good thing it’s the ICON. It’s should be called ICFS. I can’t forecast snow.

I think he was implying that since even the ICON shows snow it's probably going to be good.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, PuyallupChris said:

Trying! Dew point of 19, current temp 46… pretty wild stuff. I’m trying to trust the process but am not used to seeing so much reliance on a huge amount of evaporative cooling.

Feels much warmer now than when I took my kids outside at 10:3 AM.

This is typical for late in the season.  The "warmth" is kind of artificial today.  If it were December it wouldn't have cracked 40 anywhere.

• Thanks 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

So I guess we are just going to ignore the stingy ICON?    ;)

This covers Sunday - Tuesday.  

icon-all-washington-total_snow_10to1-7628800.png

You have been in perfect form the last week or so.  Hey guys look at this rain map.  Hey guys it's going to warm up in ten days.  Hey guys look at this stingy snow map.

I don't even think you realize it.

Once past Feb 1 you lust for warm summer days and cool nights.

But hey, you are a staff member so you can troll away.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • scream 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

My god, I am thinking I may need to run to stock on gas for the generator. This is the real deal. 

You are always living on the edge…Always under 10% phone battery, and now no gas for the generator??? My former boss at a former job back in the day that was a major prepper would be very disappointed in you!!! 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

So I guess we are just going to ignore the stingy ICON?    ;)

This covers Sunday - Tuesday.  

icon-all-washington-total_snow_10to1-7628800.png

It’s not a particularly skillful model, nor used by the NWS for forecasting. Why wouldn’t we?

• Like 1

Location 850’ NW Hills in Portland

11 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

This is typical for late in the season.  The "warmth" is kind of artificial today.  If it were December it wouldn't have cracked 40 anywhere.

Artificially caused by bland upper levels with a 925mb temp of +2C and and 850mb temp of -1C (which is basically normal) and the February 25th sun angle? 😀

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

You are always living on the edge…Always under 10% phone battery, and now no gas for the generator??? My former boss at a former job back in the day that was a major prepper would be very disappointed in you!!! 

I have 250 gallons of diesel and 150 gallons of treated ethanol free gas. I'm ready. I always have this on hand though.

20230225_153950.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 hour ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Crazy! Warmer today than I was expecting.  38 here! Still think most places near sound or below 800ft will see rain for a bit. The evaporative cooling has its work cut out. 

If there’s enough dry air aloft it shouldn’t be a problem. We were 38/23 this AM and all precip was frozen. Graupel first then snow. No liquid.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hour364Please said:

You have been in perfect form the last week or so.  Hey guys look at this rain map.  Hey guys it's going to warm up in ten days.  Hey guys look at this stingy snow map.

I don't even think you realize it.

Once past Feb 1 you lust for warm summer days and cool nights.

But hey, you are a staff member so you can troll away.

Jon? 

Glad to see you are back!  😀

And yes... my point of the ICON map was that the ICON almost never shows snow.    It was meant to be a positive post about snowfall chances the next 3 days.  Hence the wink.   And also a tease of Andrew who always does the "so we are just going to ignore..." thing.    Looks like I failed. 

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

If there’s enough dry air aloft it shouldn’t be a problem. We were 38/23 this AM and all precip was frozen. Graupel first then snow. No liquid.

You went from 81 degrees to snow falling in 36 hours?   Wow!

• Excited 3
  • Snow 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

You went from 81 degrees to snow falling in 36 hours?   Wow!

Yeah I had my expectations set to zero when I awoke to blazing sunshine and upper 30s. But somehow it didn’t matter.

• Like 1