PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

2 minutes ago, Gummy said:

No maps showing temps above 40 and no wind maps showing onshore flow.  Only applies to WA though.

Yeah... but some of those maps are great for other places.     The big c-zone on Tuesday afternoon happens because of strong onshore flow.  

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, KingstonWX said:

image.thumb.png.466b61a83c4dc1f600f995fe0050d0d9.png

So strange - basically showing half an inch accumulation tonight for a pretty wide swath of the sound (Says the same for me in north Seattle). Yet they also drop a WWA for up to 2” in the same areas. Suppose a lot has to do with the forecasted low of 35, which seems high.

Hope these temps stay at bay. Looks like we just crested 40 here. I’ll take those WRF maps posted earlier for tonight’s event please :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

I feel like this happens every year. We get the money pattern at the wrong time. It's either too early or too late

Could there be a reason why that is the case? It seems like these late-season cold periods are related to the breakdown of the PV at the end of winter, so that might be part of the answer. 

• Like 2

Just now, WeatheringLoyalHeights said:

So strange - basically showing half an inch accumulation tonight for a pretty wide swath of the sound (Says the same for me in north Seattle). Yet they also drop a WWA for up to 2” in the same areas. Suppose a lot has to do with the forecasted low of 35, which seems high.

Hope these temps stay at bay. Looks like we just crested 40 here. I’ll take those WRF maps posted earlier for tonight’s event please :)

Yea, my WWA says up to 4" for where I'm at (though if I go about 150 feet north it's 2" lol).

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Getting some radar returns over the central/north sound now…but don’t expect anything for another 3-4 hours most likely. 

I think those are from CASAG not KATX, so yea, not hitting the ground. I'm under one right now and the clouds are definitely thickening up but there's nothing falling. 

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Getting some radar returns over the central/north sound now…but don’t expect anything for another 3-4 hours most likely. 

High clouds still off in the distance here. 

I will use this as my "before" picture and compare to tomorrow and then probably again after we are buried out here on Tuesday.

20230225_135114.jpg

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Today's song (and maybe what some of us will be seeing next week 😅

Screenshot_20230225-132432.png

• lol 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

21 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Clouds are still thin from Everett southward... allowing for a nice warm up.   46 in North Bend and 47 in the Issaquah Highlands right now.    

COD-GOES-West-subregional-Pac_NW.02.20230225.212617-over=map-bars=none.gif

Crazy! Warmer today than I was expecting.  38 here! Still think most places near sound or below 800ft will see rain for a bit. The evaporative cooling has its work cut out. 

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

6 minutes ago, Sandy rocks said:

I am curious about something. The maps show less amounts here than Washougal even though we are higher elevation and farther east. Can some explain that? I would be appreciative.

Exposure to southerlies might be part of it, but primarily it’s likely more about about moisture availability issue. The stuff later tomorrow night and into Monday morning really focuses on Clark County, especially on the GFS.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Crazy! Warmer today than I was expecting.  38 here! Still think most places near sound or below 800ft will see rain for a bit. The evaporative cooling has its work cut out. 

Still a relatively cool 41 at SEA.   East breeze is not reaching there like it is out here.

That narrow band of snow with offshore or flat gradients on Monday could actually drop a couple widespread inches on the Portland area I'd fathom.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

18z GFS is a little colder tonight than the 12z in Pierce and King Counties.  Not much, but anything is a big deal in this case.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

No change on the low track for the Tuesday system.  I am loving that one, because the models show it easily being cold enough with temps below freezing at least for the early part of it.

This run also shows Tacoma getting more snow tonight than previous runs.  Very good sign.

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9