PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

14 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Should only have a short period of rain before the low dewpoint does the trick. Most areas will probably begin as rain below 800ft or so.

I'm not so sure there will be any rain early on.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I'm not so sure there will be any rain early on.

My guess is lots of virga initially and then snow with no rain to start.    But its a tough call.

• Like 5

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

23 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

How was that spring/summer?

I see you found this out.  The autumn that year was awesome!

• Sick 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

16 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

March-June were chilly and wettish but July/August almost looked like an early 1970s version of 2022. No thanks there.

No thanks. The summer that never ended was one of thr worst parts of 2022. Some of my trees look like they are not going to come back despite watering them. A beautiful dogwood that was struggling lost a bunch of weak branches from that wet Dec 1st snow and I blame the summer. (Plus the summer before that!) Long term strain on plants is real.

• Like 4

NBM is pretty decent.  The ECMWF might be a little bit off on this one.

1677423600-Y4CsFdvDckg.png

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

No thanks. The summer that never ended was one of thr worst parts of 2022. Some of my trees look like they are not going to come back despite watering them. A beautiful dogwood that was struggling lost a bunch of weak branches from that wet Dec 1st snow and I blame the summer. (Plus the summer before that!) Long term strain on plants is real.

When summer did end though...it ended!

Anyway 1971 had a cold autumn with an Arctic blast and some snow in October.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

10 I think. I'm down to just 2 inches and only where the sun hasn't hit.  That's what sucks about snow this time of year

No doubt.  It's a way different ballgame than Dec or Jan for hanging onto the snow.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

Last summer pushed numerous trees in my area over the edge... more than I have seen before.     The complete lack of rain and persistent heat here from mid June through late October was unprecedented for this area.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Current temps... and a little visual aid for @SilverFallsAndrew who doesn't seem to understand the microclimates in the Puget Sound area.    The Hood Canal area is chilly with cold air damming in this set up while the foothills are much warmer with light offshore flow.   And places like SEA are in the middle.   

temp 2-25.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GHweatherChris said:

That last part is perfectly stated.

As someone with no dog in the fight as a mostly lurker and very occasional poster who has never had a fight with him. He does make me think of the line from the great philosopher Taylor Swift, he can be “so casually cruel in the name of being honest”. In all seriousness though he can come across as a complete d*ck. Ultimately  though, everyone has a choice to take his intent as such or to let it bother them or let it go.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Current temps... and a little visual aid for @SilverFallsAndrew who doesn't seem to understand the microclimates in the Puget Sound area.    The Hood Canal area is chilly with cold air damming in this set up while the foothills are much warmer with light offshore flow.   And places like SEA are in the middle.   

temp 2-25.jpg

There's also some warmer air over the Cascades sandwiched between two colder air masses. 

image.png.08afb5c31f27379270f0cb81269052bf.png

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Absolutely remarkable run of cold mins for this time of year on the 12z EPS.

1677326400-HGsApemIXZk.png

• Like 6
  • Shivering 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, joelgombiner said:

There's also some warmer air over the Cascades sandwiched between two colder air masses. 

image.png.08afb5c31f27379270f0cb81269052bf.png

The warmer readings east of Puget sound won't have much bearing on tonight though.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

10 minutes ago, Mid Valley Duck said:

As someone with no dog in the fight as a mostly lurker and very occasional poster who has never had a fight with him. He does make me think of the line from the great philosopher Taylor Swift, he can be “so casually cruel in the name of being honest”. In all seriousness though he can come across as a complete d*ck. Ultimately  though, everyone has a choice to take his intent as such or to let it bother them or let it go.

Tim has improved a lot over what he used to be though.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Facepalm 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The warmer readings east of Puget sound won't have much bearing on tonight though.

Nope... it won't matter in terms of snow.

The climate in this area is certainly fascinating.  Places that were colder than everywhere else the other day thanks to cold outflow winds are some of the warmer places today.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

24 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Nam is worse for tonight. Nam is also worse for SS but better for NS

9555F952-08FF-46F8-8931-86009B296E65.png

690A94A6-9DD0-452E-AB25-7682114E7ACB.png

That does look quite a bit better for the NS.  3.3" for Arlington tonight sounds optimistic though.  The 12" through hour 75 would put this winter back close to an 'A' grade in this area

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Currently 38 degrees! Heatwave! DP is 22 so no real melting. My deck pile is still rock hard crunchy. Cold as ice out there still! 

B1217809-E722-4323-B0C5-F9FEF33D517D.jpeg

46427793-3A37-49E5-8C68-6EC44E3045FD.jpeg

A3C8609B-DD8A-446E-8C8F-83F35F681779.jpeg

God I love Foreigner, great choice 😎🎧

• Excited 1

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

Precip hasn’t advanced south and east much the past few hours. Dry air is probably eating it up right now.

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

14 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Currently 38 degrees! Heatwave! DP is 22 so no real melting. My deck pile is still rock hard crunchy. Cold as ice out there still! 

B1217809-E722-4323-B0C5-F9FEF33D517D.jpeg

46427793-3A37-49E5-8C68-6EC44E3045FD.jpeg

A3C8609B-DD8A-446E-8C8F-83F35F681779.jpeg

A comical sequence of events with our garbage pick up has forced me to take matters into my own hands and burn cardboard today.  We missed two garbage pick ups with our Hawaii trip and then there has been random snowfalls on both garbage days since our return and they refuse to come out here if there is any snow on the road. 

I hate when people just randomly burn crap on beautiful days and ruin the air quality.   But this is February and it's going to be fast.   And it just keeps piling up! 

20230225_130715.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

A comical sequence of events with our garbage pick up has forced me to take matters into my own hands and burn cardboard today.  We missed two garbage pick ups with our Hawaii trip and then there has been random snowfalls on both garbage days since our return and they refuse to come out here if there is any snow on the road. 

I hate when people just randomly burn crap on beautiful days and ruin the air quality.   But this is February and it's going to be fast.   And it just keeps piling up! 

20230225_130715.jpg

Good ol' s'mores time before the snow event, I'll take it lol.

• Like 2

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

42 here, clouds increasing. Probably not going to get much warmer than it is right now. 42/21 temp spread is pretty unusual here, something you’d see in Wyoming or somewhere with a more Jim friendly continental climate. 

Yeah I recorded a 39/15 spread yesterday and a 42/20 spread so far today. Definitely unusual spreads for this climate.

• Like 1

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

1 minute ago, Cold Snap said:

Yeah I recorded a 39/15 spread yesterday and a 42/20 spread so far today. Definitely unusual spreads for this climate.

Clouds are still thin from Everett southward... allowing for a nice warm up.   46 in North Bend and 47 in the Issaquah Highlands right now.    

COD-GOES-West-subregional-Pac_NW.02.20230225.212617-over=map-bars=none.gif

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Clouds are still thin from Everett southward... allowing for a nice warm up.   46 in North Bend and 47 in the Issaquah Highlands right now.    

COD-GOES-West-subregional-Pac_NW.02.20230225.212617-over=map-bars=none.gif

Just checked an I’m now at a high of 44 for the day. Wouldn’t be surprised if it got to 46-47 IMBY as well.

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3