February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

GFS shows 4 inches falling in DT Seattle between 4-10AM Saturday.

g5lq7gb.png

Still way too dry out here. Overestimating east wind. It will be wrong again like it was on Sunday night.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

From Mark Nelsen.  Some reference to Steve Pierce's rant today.  It's that type of hyperbole I often refer to that gets people worked up and then their hopes and dreams crash and burn.  Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't.  Have to wait and see. 

Because models always do so poorly with snow total forecasting well ahead of time, as meteorologists we typically don’t give specific snow forecasts until about 2 days out.   For example for this last snow event, at one point 4 days ahead of time some models were showing 4-6″!  Luckily I didn’t jump on that (shoot a graphic out to Twitter) and once we got within two days of the event we started giving you that general Trace to 2″ forecast.  To summarize, we don’t yet know if this will be just a light snow event with an inch or two on Saturday & Saturday night or does Portland turn into a snowy, cold, hell with 5″ on the ground by evening.  It’s too early and models disagree, so anyone telling you exactly how much snow is going to fall Saturday is either making a little Click-Bait or being a bit irresponsible.  No one knows yet how much snow is going to fall (or not fall) on Saturday.

But we all have lives to plan right?  That includes me, so…

HERE’S WHAT WE DO KNOW
  1. There’s a good chance, from the Portland metro area north into Washington, snow starts sticking at some point Saturday and we get a snow storm as a cold system drops down the coastline.  By late in the day, cold Gorge wind will likely begin to freeze up roads/streets.  It’s too early to know if that’s just central/east metro closer to Gorge or if the entire metro area freezes up quickly in the afternoon.
  2. You may need to alter your plans for the 2nd half of Saturday and into Sunday because…
  3. Models are all consistent showing that cold Gorge wind spreading over entire metro area by Sunday morning and freezing solid whatever falls (regardless of snow amount).  Sunday we likely stay frozen, thus altering your travel plans for that day too
  4. There will likely be another snow event sometime between Sunday night and Tuesday; each model is VERY different at this point.  Some say very little and slightly too warm, others give us a ton of snow.
  5. The Columbia River Gorge, westside elevations above 1,000′, and Cowlitz/Columbia counties north are in the “snow business” from Friday night until further notice.   Friday night through early next week have the potential of bringing MANY inches of snow in those areas.
WHAT WE DON’T KNOW YET
  1. How much snow will fall Saturday…just an inch? or a real Portland snowstorm with many inches and a cold east wind drifting that around?  No one knows yet
  2. Exactly when roads in the lowest elevations could freeze up Saturday, or does it just wait until Saturday evening when colder east wind arrives?  We’ve got two more days to figure that out.
  3. Details about what happens beyond Sunday.  Some models are mainly dry, others bring a big slug of snow in for Monday morning’s commute.  Others say no real snow until Monday night.  One says slightly too warm with mild southerly breeze Monday midday through Tuesday afternoon in much of metro area (ECMWF).

Still way too dry out here. Overestimating east wind. It will be wrong again like it was on Sunday night.

They always do that with these systems. I remember the WRF predicting less than an inch for North Bend with the huge 12/20/08 storm too.

I don't notice the same issue with rainy systems usually. I guess there is just more often some dry Easterly flow during snow events.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Guest hawkstwelve

I think you are spot on with this statement. East winds are not shown to get above 10 knots in the EPSL.

And finally by 4PM Saturday, when precip has mostly ended...

0y8VeK8.png

:(

Good for Puget Sound.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

They always do that with these systems. I remember the WRF predicting less than an inch for North Bend with the huge 12/20/08 storm too.

I don't notice the same issue with rainy systems usually. I guess there is just more often some dry Easterly flow during snow events.

I remember that too... it showed 90 mph wind and hardly any snow., 

In reality we had about 40 mph wind in the valley and hardly any wind up here and about half a foot of snow that night.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Might be better for your mental health if you take a break.

I mean, Portland gets shunted (on that particular run), there's reason to be a bit disappointed. You guys up north have basically no reason to worry, you're positively guaranteed at least a few inches of snow. 

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huge adjustment in the wave axis..much colder air around by hr102. But it also slows down the follow-up system.

Yeah, my daughter is a freshman at UW as well. I happen to live 250 miles away and she is my oldest. Loving her independence and we are are thrilled about that. Shows you how little control we, as parents, actually have.

My heart breaks for her family.  My oldest son is a freshman at Oregon State, its so hard to let them go. They just grow up WAY to fast. :( 

No epic snowstorm on the 00Z GFS yet on Monday afternoon...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_20.png

:lol:

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

That was fast

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

The GFS is much colder this weekend than previous runs.  850s drop to -11.  Still a lot of snow for the Puget Sound region.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Bellingham and Quillayute broke their record lows today.

19 and 18 degrees respectively.

At very least we had a solid early February cool snap in a winter that was looking dead in the water just a few weeks ago. And worst case scenario is it ends with another big event up north this weekend.

GEM says screws the GFS, dumps on PDX

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1549512619801.jpg

Then again, it's the GEM.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Bellingham and Quillayute broke their record lows today.

19 and 18 degrees respectively.

Nice.  This is solidly cold for this time of year.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9