February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

Much different pattern than 96. Better for everyone.

Yeah this coming event is going to potentially bring significant onshore flow snow to the valley. Feels rare but I imagine it happened a lot more in the past.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Much different pattern than 96. Better for everyone.

Not going to turn to heavy rain after 2 feet of snow falls in a 12hr period. Way different than 1996! If it’s Dec 1996 we are talking about anyway. Jan 1996 was great as well but for only a week and only a foot of snow.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Not going to turn to heavy rain after 2 feet of snow falls in a 12hr period. Way different than 1996! If it’s Dec 1996 we are talking about anyway. Jan 1996 was great as well but for only a week and only a foot of snow.

I was just going to say that... I get the 1996 reference in terms of total snow but that was a completely different scenario and this will be nothing like that event.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

• Like 2

Personal Stats:

Venmo

It’s like a ballgame. I love it

It's like the days leading up to an election (not to get political, please don't get political! LOL) ... but it feels like that. Like everything is set and looks good, but you are just WAITING for something to come in last minute to throw a wrench in it. LOL

• Downvote 1

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

IG: @SeanNyberg

X:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

Guest Sounder

I was just going to say that... I get the 1996 reference in terms of total snow but that was a completely different scenario and this will be nothing like that event.

Remember that Cliff Mass is writing his blog posts to be geared more for the average layman who doesn't know much if anything about the dynamics behind why an event is happening. Most people will never know or care about the differences between various set ups, he just wants to compare it to an event with similar totals because that's what matters as far as what one observes on the ground. A foot of snow is a foot of snow regardless of where the cold air and moisture came from.
  • Like 1

Remember that Cliff Mass is writing his blog posts to be geared more for the average layman who doesn't know much if anything about the dynamics behind why an event is happening. Most people will never know or care about the differences between various set ups, he just wants to compare it to an event with similar totals because that's what matters as far as what one observes on the ground. A foot of snow is a foot of snow regardless of where the cold air and moisture came from.

I understand.

But a huge aspect of the 1996 event was the heavy rain that immediately followed and subsequent damage it caused.    That probably sticks in people's minds as well and that will not be part of this event.     He might have mentioned that important difference.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

What's with the snow hole near Whidbey/Camano? I'm assuming it's just a model fluke.

Ignore it. It is a model fluke. It thinks that area is under water and never shows snow there basically. 

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

NWS just posted a special weather statement for western WA calling for just 3-4 inches in the metro area by Saturday night. Wonder why they’re so modest and where is the winter storm watch?!

I think they just don’t want there to be outrage if people stocked up and there was a fat bust. Better to underestimate

Looks like SEA ended up with 37/20 today. Hopefully they can stay below 40 tomorrow and keep that streak going.

12Z ECMWF says 35 at SEA tomorrow... probably due to more clouds ahead of next system.

Oof. NWS going with 2-3” for DT

While every other location in seattle has 4-6". Clearly they are adjusting the numbers from real forecast slightly to not have any yellow paint over populated parts of the metro, and have a weak 2-3" where people will look first. Little psychological tricks by Seattle NWS to prevent PNWers from panicking. 

• Like 2

I understand.

But a huge aspect of the 1996 event was the heavy rain that immediately followed and subsequent damage it caused.    That probably sticks in people's minds as well and that will not be part of this event.     He might have mentioned that important difference.  

The first big Dec 1996 storm in Seattle dumped 6-12" in the city and was not followed by rain. I believe the city overall got around 15-25" of snow that month. 

As far as total snowfall, Dec 2008 was pretty close to Dec 1996, but none of the snowfalls were as heavy as the two monsters in 1996.

A forum for the end of the world.

Still 40. Should hopefully drop below freezing as there are now clear skies.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Guest hawkstwelve

I just had an interesting conversation with a co-worker who, annoyingly, was looking over my shoulder and saw I was looking at the NWS site.

Co-worker: "Hey, how much are they calling for?"

Me: "Looks like 3-4 inches."

Co-worker: "Are these the same people who called for only an inch or two last weekend?"

Me: "Uh... Yes, yes it is."

Co-worker: "Ha, figures. So we should really expect 6-8 inches right?"

I just looked at him and smiled.

NWS is clearly being conservative once again with the totals... calling for 3-4” and I believe this is a tactic to prevent people from panicking as this is on the best case scenario for everyone no doubt their number will adjust within the next 48 hours

NWS is clearly being conservative once again with the totals... calling for 3-4” and I believe this is a tactic to prevent people from panicking as this is on the best case scenario for everyone no doubt their number will adjust within the next 48 hours

The ECMWF only shows 1-2 inches more.   Its not a huge difference.  

If the nam ups totals tonight there forecast will change i bet.

Based on the NAM?    :lol:

No.

They will wait for the ECMWF.    They are not completely clueless.

Mark Nelsen also apparently calling for at least 4-6. I mean, most models show that. PDX will be in the borderline for this one, and I think Monday-Tuesday has more potential.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

There is a good chance these totals will be double.

Agreed, at least for some areas. Several models have the Puget Sound bulls eye right over Seattle. 6-12" is not out of the question for the greater metro area, especially if precip can start off as snow on Friday (good chance it will).

As Cliff Mass said, it's about as classic a setup you can get for the region to see a major snowstorm. Best since January 2012.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

The ECMWF only shows 1-2 inches more. Its not a huge difference.

As I said, best case scenario they could hope for... i know the Euro calls for 4-5” but we saw from the last storm as more variables comes into play the snow totals changes.

I think what’s impacting the NWS for 3-4” call is they seem to think the precip will start out as rain.

Go read Jay Albrecht tweets.

There is no way they will just up the totals based on the 00Z NAM with the 00Z ICON, GFS, FV3, and ECMWF coming out in that order immediately after.

They will wait to see what all the models show tonight to see if there is new consensus.  

really confused with the seattle NWS currently. they WAY underestimated amounts last weekend, and they issued winter weather advisories and winter storm warnings as the event was occuring. they should've shown the actual expected amounts instead a dull 2-3". they estimated 1-2" for seattle the day before last weekend's event, much of the city ended up with 3-4".