May 2019 Weather Discussion PNW

Definitely a lot of attempted trolling that went without any response, just based on my scrolling over the last several pages. Which I suppose is a good thing.

Everyone is out to get you.    :rolleyes:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Finally a warm and dry weekend for the kids down here. Had always worked out that they come down when it was raining until now.

Got up to 80F.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

lol it’s both of you guys trolling neither of you is more or less guilty than the other

Made it up to 76 here today another beautiful perfect day.

77 here today... also seemed like less smoke in the air.   The Cascades looked more defined.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The pilot flying from SEA to PDX gave us a mini-tour of the Mt. St. Helens area on the way down. Really cool. A nice welcome back to the Pacific Northwest. :wub:

20165019-49BA-4057-835D-6EEE5280FD93.png

Was really surprised how smoky and hazy the west side looked from the flight. We couldn’t even see the Olympics while taking off from Sea-Tac. Looks more like recent Augusts than late May.

• Like 4

The pilot flying from SEA to PDX gave us a mini-tour of the Mt. St. Helens area on the way down. Really cool. A nice welcome back to the Pacific Northwest. :wub:

20165019-49BA-4057-835D-6EEE5280FD93.png

Was really surprised how smoky and hazy the west side looked from the flight. We couldn’t even see the Olympics while taking off from Sea-Tac. Looks more like recent Augusts than late May.

Alberta fires.

As soon as the snow melts... that area up there bursts into flames and burns until it snows again. And then I guess burns even through the snow based on previous discussions here.

Wunderground's radar is very glitchy, want to zoom in and it takes me to the far upper right corner of the radar instead of focusing onto a t'storm just to my east. GR refuses to work on my new laptop and been trying to find a good interactive radar.

Thought I was the only one to have issues with Wunderground’s radar! Frustrating!!!

77 here today... also seemed like less smoke in the air. The Cascades looked more defined.

yes definitely a more clear day with less haze in the air. There will probably be more days like this even if there’s no fires in WA. However it was all aloft smoke so no real effect on anyone. It always amazes me how it goes from snow to straight up raging fires up in Canada.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I freaking hate Poa!! I start from scratch on my front grass every 4-5 years because that stuff just takes over down here. I mow at about 5/8" so the clumps of Poa are easy to spot and hand pull at first but the little bastards can easily produce seed heads at that height (and lower). Seems to happen overnight.

Yep...that’s why all of the older courses are Poa greens unless they completely redo the greens...Poa always wins eventually.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Looking like more cloud cover for both Saturday and Sunday?

The June gloom is real.

There won't be much gloom this weekend.

So long May!

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

yes definitely a more clear day with less haze in the air. There will probably be more days like this even if there’s no fires in WA. However it was all aloft smoke so no real effect on anyone. It always amazes me how it goes from snow to straight up raging fires up in Canada.

Pretty significant drought up in northern B.C. and Alberta.

And a link to an info page on a forest fire that survived the winter and continues to be actioned by crews this summer.

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/OneFire.asp?ID=719

Pretty significant drought up in northern B.C. and Alberta.

And a link to an info page on a forest fire that survived the winter and continues to be actioned by crews this summer.

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/OneFire.asp?ID=719

Some decent rain in northern Alberta over just the next 4 days... that has to help.

ecmwf-tprecip-westcanada-17.png

But if the fires can last through temperatures of -40 and deep snow then they could probably keep burning through even a flood.   

In my back yard, May's drastically different pattern resulted in monthly average highs and lows within two tenths of a degree of May 2018:

2018: 69.7 / 48.4

2019: 69.6 / 48.2

Yeah, similar net result up here as I said.

How different did the months end up in your other back yard?

Interesting comparing this May to last one nationally. As has been mentioned before, similar net result for us but drastically different pattern overall.

56B39E90-60D9-409E-AEEF-877FEC011E88.png

AB8B0B9E-80E4-4CC3-8A2E-F1D5C43C0843.png

Yeah, same story here. If anything more humid and gross than last May..multiple days with 75 degree dews is just stupid for this early. Much more southerly flow (as opposed to the westerly flow in 2018).

attachicon.gif20165019-49BA-4057-835D-6EEE5280FD93.png

I've noticed that too. Can't hardly see the Olympics from Seattle. 

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Looks like May here was +3.6*, with 1.89" of rain. Extremes: 85/38

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"