June 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Currently at 81F w partly cloudy skies. Radar showing some storms to my west, but future radar dissipates them as they move on through my area. Anyhow, its a splendid evening out there.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

@ OKwx2k4

What are your predictions for next Winter 2019-20? Any suggestions? I know its early, but was just curious on your thoughts.

It's almost peak peach season here in Texas and it promises to be a beautiful year. Plenty of rain and chilling hrs this winter.

The county west of me is the Capitol of peach production in Texas.

Freeze some and have fresh summer peach cobbler for Christmas !

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Looks like some of you Nebraska posters are waking up to a bowing line of storms.

You getting anything on the north edge Hawkeye? I could hear faint thunder from that isolated cell with the sun- tinted anvil streaming overhead. The storms kept festering further north overnight which surprised me.

• Like 1

Looks like some of you Nebraska posters are waking up to a bowing line of storms.

You getting anything on the north edge Hawkeye? I could hear faint thunder from that isolated cell with the sun- tinted anvil streaming overhead. The storms kept festering further north overnight which surprised me.

Another solid swing and a miss for all of us in Omaha to the southwest.

Looks like areas to the west are getting some nice storms this morning, must be nice.

• Like 1

You getting anything on the north edge Hawkeye?

Just thunder and a few sprinkles.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I'm liking the storm chances for N IA/N IL/WI/MN overnight Wednesday into Thursday as the nocturnal jet will aid in the development of storm clusters or an intense MCS.  This is the type of pattern that we will likely lock into over the next week or so with daily chances of storms to those on the northern periphery of the central Plains ridge.

• Like 1

That's one nasty looking line of storms just W/NW of LNK...natures "alarm clock" knocking on @ LNK's door...rise and shine!

Just woke me up that's for sure. Nothing outstandingly severe about this, may be a flood threat though.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Beautiful day forecasted today w plentiful sunshine and readings in the 80s. Has Summer really arrived??!! WOW....wooHOOOOO!!!!!

• Like 2

Beautiful day forecasted today w plentiful sunshine and readings in the 80s. Has Summer really arrived??!! WOW....wooHOOOOO!!!!!

Definitely need to spend extra time outside this year when we get these kinds of days.  Been a LONG time.  Low humidity and 80's.  Muggy weather coming, but i will take it!!!

• Like 1

Not surprisingly, eastern Iowa has been removed from the slight-severe today/tonight.  It never appeared there was any real threat in the first place.  If we get anything, it won't be until late Thursday and Thursday night when we might get clipped by an MCS tracking to the northeast.

I drove to Iowa City this morning.  The corn is only about a foot tall.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

92*

Dewpoint 72*

Humidity 48%.

Not pleasant at all. :/

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I got a PWS as a Christmas gift several years ago and had to leave it at my parents once I came to Lincoln since I've lived in dorms or apartments. I recently moved into a house though so maybe I can get it up here one day.

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Corn around here is maybe 12-18” tall. I would think this coming heat will get it to take off

It's definitely grown a lot in the past week. Ample sun I think is what's done the trick. Definitely no shortage of moisture.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Got my weather station working and sending information online. Man, I know it’s nothing crazy given the day we’re in, but I still find it pretty awesome!

I live in a place that only recently has finally gotten fiber internet access out to all in the area so I totally understand what you mean. It seems a silly thing but it's awesome. I hope to have a station up by next year.

I've only wanted to have one on line and recording/storing data since 2008 when my old one quit me. :lol: Things move slow here.

• Like 3

We had some real nice storms that tracked just south of me again last night and into the city in a weakening state.  Here was a pick from that storm that hit the north side.  A nice lightning strike just north of Wrigley by a couple blocks.

D-CUYT7XsAEYEt0.jpg

D-CMS6LW4AAyJjg.jpg

D-CFe2IXoAAjiBC.jpg

Training storms dumped up to 4-5" of rain on the IL/IN border south of Chicago and up to 1" hail.

D-DyF2VWwAAoeU3.jpg

Can you say..."Summer Sizzle"???  Should this forecast verify, it will be our 1st legit Heat Wave of the season...better late then never???

D-D5jzPW4AIyCnI.jpg

• Like 6

Corn around here is maybe 12-18” tall. I would think this coming heat will get it to take off

Neighbors corn was at least waist high a few days ago and maybe chest or fence high by now while other neighbors is only a few inches tall! Corn loves warm and humid weather.

JMA weeklies are showing the warmth extend through the 1st week of July...full disclosure, it missed this warm up on last weeks run.  The idea this warm spell will last into the 4th of July week/weekend is still on tap.  Changes are showing up thereafter as I'm expecting the pattern to shift towards a more troughy one across the heartland Week 2-4 in July.

Week 1 temps...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R07_1/Y201906.D2612_gl2.png

Week 2...the JMA is not really showing it, but I do expect to see the antic-cylcone shift farther west allowing for more cooling across the ag belt Week 2 in July.

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R07_2/Y201906.D2612_gl2.png

Week 3-4...during the 2nd half of July, as the troughs become deeper and penetrate farther south, so will the wetter pattern and the central/southern Plains will turn very wet mid/late July.  The northern sub should dry out after a somewhat wetter period now through the holiday week.

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R14_3/Y201906.D2612_gl2.png

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R14_3/Y201906.D2612_gl0.png

I live in a place that only recently has finally gotten fiber internet access out to all in the area so I totally understand what you mean. It seems a silly thing but it's awesome. I hope to have a station up by next year.

I've only wanted to have one on line and recording/storing data since 2008 when my old one quit me. :lol: Things move slow here.

Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless is an excellent station with all kinds of add on options. They are expensive, though they have cheaper versions. I have 2 Davis stations up right now as I upgraded last December and wanted to compare it with the old one I’ve had since 2002. Want to take down the old station soon & save as a backup. Mine isn’t online though that’s an option. In 2010 I (should’ve sooner) put a data logger into the console and download stored data onto a laptop (I print data for paper records at my convenience) every so often as the logger overwrites data if it’s full, and it fills up sooner if the archival interval is set higher. It seems like people that have cheaper stations soon have anemometers {Davis has stainless steel ball bearings) that don’t work or something else not working. There are other good stations, but I don’t know which as haven’t tried others.

@ St Paul, this may be your day for Severe Wx...

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_12.png

I’m hoping we can get a MCS diving south toward the CAPE across eastern Ia. though that’s no guarantee. Always seemed to happen to our south earlier. Need some rain before all of this heat!
  • Like 2

Today should be the warmest day of 2019 at Grand Rapids so far. There is even a chance that it could reach 90 in spots and I am sure there will be some back yards where that will happen. Here is a fun fact. Even if all of the remaining days of June get above 80 (there is a good chance that will happen) the total number of days that warm so far this year will total 11 well here is a list of the years when Grand Rapids has only had 11 days or less of 80 or better in recorded history.  1917, 1924 and 1974 had 7. 1935 had 9 and 1897, 2003 and it looks like 2019 had 11. So this year will be tied for 3 place with the fewest 80 days as of July 1st (that is if the last 4 days all reach 80 or better)

@ St Paul, this may be your day for Severe Wx...

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_12.png

Yeah my phone buzzed at 3am when the watch was issued. First severe thunderstorm watch of the season. At least we got one before July....

The line to the west has several bowed segments and they’re growing in intensity. 3km NAM shows two separate rounds hitting us today. Latest HRRR shows everything this morning weakening rapidly before arrival with the main show tonight. We’ll see.

• Like 2

Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless is an excellent station with all kinds of add on options. They are expensive, though they have cheaper versions. I have 2 Davis stations up right now as I upgraded last December and wanted to compare it with the old one I’ve had since 2002. Want to take down the old station soon & save as a backup. Mine isn’t online though that’s an option. In 2010 I (should’ve sooner) put a data logger into the console and download stored data onto a laptop (I print data for paper records at my convenience) every so often as the logger overwrites data if it’s full, and it fills up sooner if the archival interval is set higher. It seems like people that have cheaper stations soon have anemometers {Davis has stainless steel ball bearings) that don’t work or something else not working. There are other good stations, but I don’t know which as haven’t tried others.

I just got an Ambient Weather station. It's the most basic version. It's my first ever big weather station, so I wanted to go a little more basic with it the first time. I may get a better one down the road, but I am very happy with this one thus far. 

• Like 1

Models had/have nothing in nw/nc Iowa today, and the SPC has that area in a 'marginal' threat.  In reality, there is a severe line moving into nw Iowa and the SPC says a watch for nw/nc Iowa is likely.  The question is, will this line continue through northern Iowa or crap out at the edge of the cap?  At the very least, for us, the cloud shield spilling eastward from the storms should gradually thicken and maybe hold the temp down a bit.

• Like 1

Looks like the line is outrunning itself and losing a bit of strength, like the HRRR showed. Or maybe it’s just cycling now. T-storm warning just to the west of the metro.

It still looks decent.  Mid to late morning is not exactly prime time for severe MCS activity, so I'd be happy with any solid line.

The NW Iowa storms are already losing some strength.

It still looks decent.  Mid to late morning is not exactly prime time for severe MCS activity, so I'd be happy with any solid line.

The NW Iowa storms are already losing some strength.

Yep gaining strength again before it moves in. The mothership is moving in. The large shelf cloud is spectacular. Warnings have been expanded.

• Like 1