July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Gorgeous weekend ahead per the 12Z ECMWF... hope it holds.

Rain is basically done by early Thursday afternoon except for a few showers up north on Friday morning.   Both Saturday and Sunday look really nice.    Probably into the low 80s in Seattle by Sunday.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Great timing for another beautiful weekend!

Rain is well timed this week. Glad it ended up being a drippy cool day today rather than yesterday.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

12Z GFS knocks down the ridge for a couple days late next week... hopefully that disappears in future runs.

And the 12Z ECMWF also shows this feature.    Universal model agreement which is rare for 9 days out.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The last 4 days, EUG was 84/85/85/89. Not an official heatwave but what I would consider a heatwave lite. They also got to 84 and 86 earlier in the month as well. Their currently at +1.4 for the month, same as Troutdale. It's also been warmer in other locations west of the Cascades. Hoquiam is currently at +2.5 and Astoria is at +2.2 for July.

You’re trying way too hard. :)

• Like 2

Portland averages roughly 0.65” in both July and August, although once the averages update in 2020 it’ll be more like .5”-.55”.

It’s not Sacramento or the Bay Area where most if not almost every summer is completely rainless.

As far as I can remember any precip we get between roughly 5th of July and late August/early September is almost entirely from a stray thunderstorm or remnants of one. I could be wrong, but in my lifetime I don't remember any steady bands of rain or legit rainy days like we've had in the past few weeks. I'd say this weather pattern in the middle of summer is not entirely unprecedented in our climate, but it is indeed pretty rare.

That said I've been enjoying the weather – plenty of sunshine; mild to warm temps (nice mild mornings to enjoy outside!); and lack of AC use or watering the garden much of the time.

Maybe the Tropical Tidbits site is wrong then? Here is day 8-10... basically normal or colder than normal at the 850mb level.

ecmwf_T850a_us_9.png

ecmwf_T850a_us_10.png

ecmwf_T850a_us_11.png

Interesting. Was warmer on WxBell for the same timeframe. Of course the 12z run is cooler.

The last 4 days, EUG was 84/85/85/89. Not an official heatwave but what I would consider a heatwave lite. They also got to 84 and 86 earlier in the month as well. Their currently at +1.4 for the month, same as Troutdale. It's also been warmer in other locations west of the Cascades. Hoquiam is currently at +2.5 and Astoria is at +2.2 for July.

Average high for PDX so far this month is about 2 degrees below normal.

A forum for the end of the world.

You’re trying way too hard. :)

Month to date, regionally. Map isn’t flawless like an 11-15 day ensemble mean, of course, but gives a general idea.

E6D48453-0C98-4251-BED5-561EDDACBEBD.png

Thanks, same to you. It's been a slow Monday at work so far.

Hoquiam has had a warmer departure than Astoria so far. There needs to be some orange around Grays Harbor. It's also showing negative departures for Troutdale and Aurora but they both have over a +1 departure so far this month.

16-17 spread the wealth pretty well from EUG-YVR IIRC.

The problem with 16/17 as a winter analog is that it was a cool WPAC/warm EPAC -ENSO, which is diametrically opposed to the likely setup for 2019/20.

The +QBO/amplified Aleutian Ridge helped overcome the elevated geomagnetic activity, but the latter, in tandem with the gargantuan post-super-niño z-cell state, precluded a true regional Arctic blast.

By the end of February, we essentially had an east-based El Niño trying to establish..the only thing that torpedoed it was the off-season KW cycle rendering coupling extremely difficult.

Ridge looks pretty short lived on the 12z runs. Euro in agreement.

Praying this holds. Need troughing when I’m there.

Praying this holds. Need troughing when I’m there.

Its not much different in Everett either way.   It will not be hot by your standards even under a 598DM ridge.  

And it certainly does not matter on Hippa Island.

Not that nature gives two sh*ts about what you or I want.

The problem with 16/17 as a winter analog is that it was a cool WPAC/warm EPAC -ENSO, which is diametrically opposed to the likely setup for 2019/20.

The +QBO/amplified Aleutian Ridge helped overcome the elevated geomagnetic activity, but the latter, in tandem with the gargantuan post-super-niño z-cell state, precluded a true regional Arctic blast.

By the end of February, we essentially had an east-based El Niño trying to establish..the only thing that torpedoed it was the off-season KW cycle rendering coupling extremely difficult.

Are you thinking cold or warm for winter overall? Or still too early to tell?

Best analogs?

12Z EPS looks about the same as previous runs... does not really show much of a break down late next week but it could be somewhat masked by the blending at that range.

Best analogs?

I'm leaning dud unfortunately.  We are somewhat due for one, esp in the south valley.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Best analogs?

Not sure about winter, but possibly a warm/dry fall (or maybe a “continental” fall like 2009). Either way I’d lean towards a more wavy, meridional Pacific.

Did not expect consistent rain all day today. Sort of unfortunate as we had some exterior painting sealing work planned today. Kept hoping it was just a passing shower but has been nonstop since first thing this morning. Mostly light rain with mist in between.

Did not expect consistent rain all day today. Sort of unfortunate as we had some exterior painting sealing work planned today. Kept hoping it was just a passing shower but has been nonstop since first thing this morning. Mostly light rain with mist in between.

Radar has been down... but I noticed that it was focused over Seattle and Bellevue on traffic cams.

Nothing more than a couple sprinkles out here... sky has been bright most of the day and dry.  

And of course SEA has only picked up a trace so far... typical.

Radar has been down... but I noticed that it was focused over Seattle and Bellevue on traffic cams.

Nothing more than a couple sprinkles out here... sky has been bright most of the day and dry.  

And of course SEA has only picked up a trace so far... typical.

SEA has been more inline with most the region than your place or JC's. .77" so far this month, .90" in June.

WFO Seattle is at .80" for July, and had .78" in June.

A forum for the end of the world.

Looking too transitory for the 4 corners high to last more than a couple days.

Forced myself to look at the 18Z GFS to see how it handled next week... much weaker break down and the ridge pops right back up.    This is more in line with what the EPS shows.    But I suspect it will be even stronger than the 12Z runs showed in the end... that is how its going this summer.