July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

I was seriously jealous of your bare ground during the first half of March... that snow cover was really annoying as we moved into spring.

It was pretty crazy. We were melted out here by March 1st completely but my buddy in graham had a half foot of snow in his backyard while we were trying to BBQ on my birthday March 18th while it was 75 degrees outside. I’ve never seen that before.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I'm already beginning to scrape togther the data for a winter forecast. I feel inspired this year!

Can’t wait to see that!

I think this one has top 10% potential.

That's great to hear. I'm also thinking we're going to have a cold and snowy winter ahead. The last 2 Dec/Jan have been duds so I'm liking our chances one or both months. Interested in the analogs you're looking at.

Hot and humid rain, my favorite. I'll take it over cold rain any day of the week.

You trolling brother?

Saturday morning will feel incredible to Phil... c-zone and clouds right over Everett that morning. Clearing up a little by afternoon but low 70s at best that day. Sunday will be wall-to-wall sunshine and 80.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You trolling brother?

Nope, to me nothing is worst than experiencing cold rain when just slightly colder air means it would be snow instead. Plus, I like the convection associated with rain during the warmer months. The thunder, hail, strong winds and tornado we received earlier this summer is more exciting to me than just plain old rain. That's what I meant.

Saturday morning will feel incredible to Phil... c-zone and clouds right over Everett that morning. Clearing up a little by afternoon but low 70s at best that day. Sunday will be wall-to-wall sunshine and 80.

That would be perfect. Contrary to the forum mantra, I would actually prefer sunny/80*F afternoons with low humidity as opposed to drizzle all day long. I need some kind of diurnal variability.

But having the foggy, marine conditions in the morning would be a huge plus. I like waking up to a cool, damp, moody atmosphere in the morning as opposed to that yellow, fire-breathing dragon heating up temperatures immediately. Plus it adds interesting mesoscale variability and differential heating gradients (stuff I like to observe back home since it can predict where convection will start, etc).

Nope, to me nothing is worst than experiencing cold rain when just slightly colder air means it would be snow instead. Plus, I like the convection associated with rain during the warmer months. The thunder, hail, strong winds and tornado we received earlier this summer is more exciting to me than just plain old rain. That's what I meant.

Ah, okay. I agree 33*F rain is the absolute worst during the winter, for reasons that are mostly psychological (and we get a lot of that cold rain too..so I get it).

But as far as how it feels, comfort wise, I’d pick cold rain over warm rain. There is nothing more uncomfortable than those 1-2 hours following a typical “sun-shower” (as opposed to a real t-storm) on a humid summer day, when dews spike into the 80s. An actual thunderstorm will cool the boundary layer, but a sun shower or light rain from anvil blowoff will make things feel a million times worse.

• Like 1

That would be perfect. Contrary to the forum mantra, I would actually prefer sunny/80*F afternoons with low humidity as opposed to drizzle all day long. I need some kind of diurnal variability.

But having the foggy, marine conditions in the morning would be a huge plus. I like waking up to a cool, damp, moody atmosphere in the morning as opposed to that yellow, fire-breathing dragon heating up temperatures immediately. Plus it adds interesting mesoscale variability and differential heating gradients (stuff I like to observe back home since it can predict where convection will start, etc).

Saturday morning will be your dream scenario in Everett...

ecmwf-washington-precip-3hr-inch-4239600

ecmwf-washington-t2m-f-4239600.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Saturday morning will be your dream scenario in Everett...

ecmwf-washington-precip-3hr-inch-4239600

ecmwf-washington-t2m-f-4239600.png

Sounds lovely.

Now I just need the models to blow up a super cyclone over Hippa Island during the 7/31 to 8/3 period and it will be a perfect vacation. :wub:

Ah, okay. I agree 33*F rain is the absolute worst during the winter, for reasons that are mostly psychological (and we get a lot of that cold rain too..so I get it).

But as far as how it feels, comfort wise, I’d pick cold rain over warm rain. There is nothing more uncomfortable than those 1-2 hours following a typical “sun-shower” (as opposed to a real t-storm) on a humid summer day, when dews spike into the 80s. An actual thunderstorm will cool the boundary layer, but a sun shower or light rain from anvil blowoff will make things feel a million times worse.

Really can’t dislike cold rain in winter when it brings snow in the mountains, among other benefits I have talked about.

Also, just IMO, freezing rain is far worse than 33°F rain.

Really can’t dislike cold rain in winter when it brings snow in the mountains, among other benefits I have talked about.

Can confirm. Fixin’ to get the tree next to the carport cut down since it leans and overhangs the power lines.

If the niño is a no-show then we are going to see regional action again.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I disagree. Zr is one of my favorite events. It’s really pretty and the phenomenon just excites me. I’ve seen it at 16 degrees here in Redmond with zr and sleet falling. Makes quite the mess but people just shouldn’t drive during the event. I know about the power outages too, some people like wind (K2) and that causes problems as well. To each his own.

• Like 1

One thing that bummed me out last winter was the fact there was continuous snow cover for weeks just a couple of miles north of here while I only had 12 days.  It was still decent here, but nothing like just up the road.

It is interesting to note how big Februaries one winter often lead to great things the following winter.

I mean, it was still 12 days! I had one...

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"