August 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Omegaraptor

Hillsboro got down to 3°F in January 2017 (thank snow cover). PDX only got to 11. Not sure if this was pure UHI or if something else was at work (ie east winds), can someone confirm? I don’t think UHI alone can produce an 8°F difference unless we’re talking about a megacity here, which Portland is not.

That was the coldest day I ever experienced in my life. Hillsboro only made it up to 25 that day for an insane -26 departure. HIO finished -6.9 for the month but it was still a full degree warmer than PDX which finished at -7.9.

Smokg.

A little smog and moisture and probably many other sources. And even so... it looks like a perfectly normal summer evening in Seattle. We have genuinely thick brown haze and bad air quality during winter inversions with no wildfires within thousands of miles and everyone on here seems to love those. ;)

And the last rain event actually ushered in the worst of the haze which has slowly faded since Saturday morning.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Post count matters...

I never even notice post count... only when you mention it.  

Not sure how you think it matters... but a high post count is not something to be proud of.    <_>

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

High temp hit 80 here today was very pleasant perfect summer day. Could see that thunderstorm near mt.rainier from here was pretty cool made some pink anvil clouds around sunset.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Why are they so small? Late start? I see lots in people’s back yards this time of year and they are usually 2-3’ tall now.

I just found random seeds in some flower I bought a few weeks ago. Thought I'd give it a shot.

I don't have a setup or anything and don't really know where I'm gonna go from here. Stay tuned.

I'm just using some random lamps from throughout the house to aid them with some light.

I just found random seeds in some flower I bought a few weeks ago. Thought I'd give it a shot.

I don't have a setup or anything and don't really know where I'm gonna go from here. Stay tuned.

I'm just using some random lamps from throughout the house to aid them with some light.

You really want a full spectrum light bulb.

Dont know what he is basing this on, but . .

Joe Bastardi

@BigJoeBastardi

August into Sept going to be ugly cold for western and Central canada summer was short, Conversely the northeast once past the cool 10 days should be quite warm into September.. stretching back SW to Texas Central US, as usual may be where the cold holds in the means

• Like 1

06z was a bit wetter for western WA overall on this weekend but the next week no rain essentially which was a big change from the previous 2 runs.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Marine layer back today. Took until about 11:30-12:00 yesterday to burn off. Currently 57. The last 3 days were the first time this summer we actually got 3 days of 80+ weather in a row. Hasn’t happened this year until now.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Cloudy and drizzly this morning.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Dont know what he is basing this on, but . .

Joe Bastardi

@BigJoeBastardi

August into Sept going to be ugly cold for western and Central canada summer was short, Conversely the northeast once past the cool 10 days should be quite warm into September.. stretching back SW to Texas Central US, as usual may be where the cold holds in the means

So summer is over according to Him

So summer is over according to Him

For western and central Canada... at least according to him.

The latest ECMWF weeklies through the middle of September show plenty of summer left for us... its quite warm through that period overall.  

Nice morning fellaz.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

To see the ecmwf weekelies do you need to pay a subscription? 80s and or 90s? warm?

There is no specific temperature output... it just shows warm surface temp anomalies for us for the most part through the middle of September.    

Phil said the ECMWF weeklies have a warm bias with surface temps though.   Still... there is no real cold air anywhere near us on the latest run for the second half of August into September. 

Chilly marine layer this morning. Seems deeper than yesterday’s.

It is a little deeper... it made it out here but we are right on the edge and the sun appears to coming out again.    It was sunny until about 8:30 a.m. and then the marine layer squeezed in here around the hills.  

The 12z ensemble is more to your liking

definitely looks closer to the 0z and 18z runs yesterday than the 06z this morning. looks wet this weekend over the whole PNW. We will see how that actually verifies it’s stilk 5 days away. Looks wet after day 10 on the 12z as well.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0