August 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Omegaraptor

Hope we get something like November 2006. That was an epic month.

Hopefully Portland has the driest rainy season on record.   That would be epic.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Hopefully Portland has the driest rainy season on record. That would be epic.

Epic would be November 2006, your favorite month!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Epic would be November 2006, your favorite month!

The last 10 days were pretty nice.   Gorgeous in fact.

Could have done without one day of ridiculously warm, torrential rain that caused so much damage around here.     

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I hope California re-enters drought, and this time it's twice as long and twice as severe.

I don't hope for that... you must be a sadist.    <_>

The last 10 days were pretty nice.   Gorgeous in fact.

Could have done without one day of ridiculously warm, torrential rain that caused so much damage around here.     

That's fair. How'd you like December 2003 and January 2004?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

That's fair. How'd you like December 2003 and January 2004?

We were split between San Diego and here at that time... but mostly in San Diego during those months.   Looks like a pretty wet period with a nice cold/snowy period for about a week here in the middle.   I think we transitioned out of that cold spell quicker than Portland.  

You might have a long wait. I hope you do.

I have a good feeling about September and October being nice.

Even 2008 took until the middle of December.

I was washing my truck in shorts on Thanksgiving of 2008 if I remember correctly.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Same here. Last couple of winters, the Dec/Jan combo have been complete duds. I'm liking our chances a lot this winter.

Dec 2017 wasn’t terrible. We had a decent shot of cold around Christmas and even a White Christmas (albeit a rather pathetic one, but then again this is the PNW lowlands). Wasn’t a blowtorch like January 2018.

• Like 1

Dec 2017 wasn’t terrible. We had a decent shot of cold around Christmas and even a White Christmas (albeit a rather pathetic one, but then again this is the PNW lowlands). Wasn’t a blowtorch like January 2018.

Yeah, can't believe I overlooked that one. Was actually a decent snowstorm out here in Gresham on Christmas Eve. It was a marginal event that overperformed.

Same here. Last couple of winters, the Dec/Jan combo have been complete duds. I'm liking our chances a lot this winter.

December 2008 redux but in January this time!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Yeah, can't believe I overlooked that one. Was actually a decent snowstorm out here in Gresham on Christmas Eve. It was a marginal event that overperformed.

Think I had 5” Christmas morning of 2017.
  • Like 1

Trough is paying a visit. Some are happy. Others may be in protest.

I don't mind at all, because of how deep it's digging down. Some rain in southern Oregon and far north California should definitely hold away the wildfires when I go to that region later in the month. Can't wait.

It's just weather, anyway. One day of fall-like weather in summer is far better than having a multi-day trip ruined by wildfire smoke. Super glad this summer is absolutely nothing like the last two years when it comes to fires.

• Like 1

Definitely a north south event. 17-18 was way better in Feb down here. Let’s hope that’s not an analog tho. EUG hasn’t had a white Christmas since 1990!

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I believe it originated on the East Coast. It's the official criteria that the NWS uses. I agree though that it's too broad of a term. It also depends on the anomalies a location gets.

More like Boston. DCA has already had 40 days above 90*F and will probably hit 60+ by 10/1.

• Like 2

Since I’ve lived in central Oregon for the last 10 years, I would say 5 were white Xmas’s and the others were sunny and crisp, especially the mornings. Every other year though there has been a good dumping of snow. 16’-17’ there was snow on the ground for three months. I believe Bend got 70” of snow that year. Incredible to be here for that and driving semi throughout the whole winter as well. Last February wasn’t anything to sneeze at either.

• Like 1

Since I’ve lived in central Oregon for the last 10 years, I would say 5 were white Xmas’s and the others were sunny and crisp, especially the mornings. Every other year though there has been a good dumping of snow. 16’-17’ there was snow on the ground for three months. I believe Bend got 70” of snow that year. Incredible to be here for that and driving semi throughout the whole winter as well. Last February wasn’t anything to sneeze at either.

I think we have had snow on the ground on Christmas Day at least 7 out of the last 10 years.   And some of those years there was snow falling on Christmas.

2016 and 2017 were absolutely beautiful with snow on the ground and sunshine.   We got about 6 inches of snow on Christmas Eve into Christmas morning in 2017.  There was no snow last year... but it did snow a little the next morning.

00Z ECMWF still shows clearing and upper 70s for the Seattle area tomorrow... don't believe it based on how today went in Portland.

Friday is cooler than previous runs with a more persistent marine layer.

Good news for Saturday though... now looks totally dry and in the upper 70s with just some high clouds.

A few showers for Sunday... partly cloudy and in the mid 70s.

Guest CulverJosh

Pendleton AFD is a good read as it pertains to the next couple of days. Could be some real good boomers. My eyes will be to the sky the next few evenings.